The Lonely Crowd

InvisibleJim

Banned
Dec 13, 2010
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
The Lonely Crowd by Riesman was a 1950s study of the character traits embodied by American Culture at the time which deduced that there were ultimately 3 cultural types of people active at that time. It is often held up along with White Collar by C. Mills as the two dominant analysis of the more interactive and salesman based culture we see today.

Anyway, this deduced that there were three cultural archetypes of people.
  1. Tradition-Directed - Focused on upholding past traditions as 'these things have always worked'
  2. Inner-Directed - Learns values early and tends to stick to them and live true to their values
  3. Other-Directed - Learns to trade-off with others at the expense of the self to succeed
In effect those who are tradition directed are raised in communities with limited opportunities or movement and thus lacked malleability and the ability to succeed with the dynamic pace of changes we now experience.

Those who are inner-directed form their opinions of like and dislike early and stick to it and know themselves very well, live by their own inner-gyroscope and exercise personal responsibility; thus tend to be viewed as having gravitas although they tend to refuse societal trade-offs.

To succeed in the more modern environment of rapid change there are many who are other-directed and see all trade-offs as important and frictional inner-direction as a 'bad thing'.

Riesman's book argues that although other-directed individuals are crucial for peaceful and smooth interaction in modern organization, the value of autonomy is compromised and shunned. The Lonely Crowd also argues that society dominated by the other-directed lacks in leadership, individual self-knowledge, and ultimately the fulfilment of human potential.

Considering the political and social atmospheres we experience at this time do we consider Riesman's analysis to still be relevant and do we see the consequences being played out before our eyes today?

It is perhaps more relevant now than it was then. While I can easily see the expression of the valuations that lead to such an atmosphere, my sense is witness of the consequences is a much more difficult task — some of them might be easy to see, but the interrelated complexity and feedback loops of a culture would make discerning signal from noise a real challenge.

cheers,
Ian

This book has been in my library and I've always been interested in it everytime I pass it. I'm now definitely going to pick it up!