The biggest Coup in history that never happened. | INFJ Forum

The biggest Coup in history that never happened.

JJJA

Permanent Fixture
Jun 13, 2015
MBTI
Na
Enneagram
July, 1944. The Germans are now retreating on every front in Eastern Europe, Western Europe, and the Mediterranean. Hitler's war machine no longer appears to be the sweeping, blistering and invincible viper of Blitzkrieg it once appeared to be in the early days of the war.

The front at the moment, looks like this:
WWIIEurope60.gif

The consistent and and heavily-suffered losses by the Russian and German army meant that only two choices were given to the commanders: On the Soviet side, Marshal Georgy Zhukov insisted that attrition was the only way forward, and he pressed on his advantage to push the Germans, who were defending with some of their last capable Panzer Divisions at Kursk, to keep on retreating back to Berlin. Wave after wave of conscripts, as well as veterans were fighting alongside the landmark T-34 tanks to press home a new mission stained by vengeance and Ultra-nationalism, backed by the ruthless Stalinist state.

Adolf Hitler, unlike most of his Generals at this point, was absolutely convinced that total victory for the Third Reich was still possible, despite a retreat on all fronts. Some of his top commanders, some of which in his inner-circle. Goering, Goebbels, Himmler, Spier, Bormann, Hess. Although some committed suicide, clung to their selfish needs or simply resorted to bargaining chips, it is no question that many German officers thought that the Third Reich needed to end as soon as it had begun.

Attempts on Adolf Hitler's life were made prior to attempt that would later be nicknamed the July Plot. Operation Flash on the 13th of march 1943 had Hans von Dohnanyi set up a time bomb on Hitler's plane as he flew over Minsk; the altitude of the plane froze the fuse and the bomb failed to detonate. Another such attempt actually took place only a week after Operation Flash. Colonel Rudolf von Gersdorff wanted to carry explosives in his own overcoat, sacrificing himself to kill Hitler as he toured an exhibition of captured Russian equipment in Berlin; that attempt failed because Hitler decided to shorten the visit to a mere two-minutes, leaving Gersdorff drenched in cold sweat afterwards trying to disarm the bomb and flush it down a toilet before he gathered too much suspicion.

Then, it was the turn of the real operation. A handful of German officers, including many who planned the previous assassinations, drew up another attempt for the 20th of July 1944. By this time, the conspirators did not have time on their side, as the Gestapo was on the verge of identifying them while the Allies were tightening their grip on Nazi Germany with the initial success of the Normandy invasion. Lieutenant Heinrich Graf von Lehndorff-Steinort, aide to another conspirator Henning von Tresckow, wrote to Claus von Stauffenberg:

'The assassination must be attempted, coûte que coûte. Even if it fails, we must take action in Berlin, for the practical purpose no longer matters. What matters now is that the German resistance movement must take the plunge before the eyes of the world and of history. Compared to that, nothing else matters.'

Stauffenberg was named the assassin that was to plant a time-bomb inside the 'Fuhrerbunker' at the Wolf's Lair, where on the 20th of July Hitler would meet with many officers (including Himmler's assumed attendance). Some of the others directly involved in the planning include General Ludwig Beck, General Friedrich Olbricht, Carl Goerdeler, Alfred Delp, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Bernardis, Carl Szokoll, Count Hans-Jürgen von Blumenthal, Adam von Trott zu Solz, Gottfried von Bismark, and Princess Marie Vassiltchikov. Colonel General Friedrich Fromm was the commander of the Reserve Army in Berlin, and was in contact with the conspirators, but did not fully commit himself to the operation. Throughout his career, he'd always tried to end up on the so-called 'winning side', and waited for full confirmation of Hitler's death until he would finally (presumably) join the Coup. Many other high-ranking officers in the German Army such as Erwin Rommel and Günther von Kluge were also implicated with this plot, but were not involved in any way with the proceedings.

As originally planned, Operation Walkuere ("Valkyrie") was to take place immediately after the assassination of Hitler; the plan called for the conspirators to use the reserve army to seize control of the major settlements, branches, facilities, and operations command centers of the SS and the Gestapo. The assumption was for Hitler's death to cause a power-vacuum within the ranks, and with the help of conspirator General Erich Fellgiebel, the communications lines which ran directly from the Wolf's Lair were severed soon after the explosion of the bomb. However, uncertainty of the success at the War Ministry in Berlin had significantly delayed the launch of the operation by at least three hours.

At 3PM, Stauffenberg reached Berlin via airplane. The first thing he did was to make a phone call to the Bendlerblock (War Ministry), to publically announce Hitler's death. But around the same time, conspirator General Erich Fellgiebel at Rastenburg called Fromm and informed him that Hitler had survived with only minor injuries. The conspirators did not know who to believe, and further delayed Operation Valkyrie. The truth was that Fellgiebel was right, Hitler did indeed survive the blast; Fromm confirmed that after calling Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel at Rastenburg. By a stroke of luck, after Stauffenberg had left the conference room, Colonel Heinz Brandt moved the briefcase to the far side of one of the oak table's legs, thus just enough force from the blast was deflected away from Hitler.

Olbricht finally gave the order to launch the operation regardless of the failed assassination. Squads of reserve troops arrested key Nazi Party leaders and SS officials. With a working phone line, which was a failure on the part of the conspirators, Minister of Propaganda Goebbels remained in charge of the media and used it to consistently spread the news of Hitler's survival. When regimental commander Major Otto Remer came to arrest Goebbels, Goebbels arranged a phone call with Hitler, convincing Remer that it was a Coup d'etat setup against the government and that the people involved were traitors. Hitler ordered Remer's troops to hunt down the conspirators.

It was at this very moment, the Coup began to turn south. Fromm decided that that the plot stood no chance, and switched sides by issuing the order to have Stauffenberg arrested. Olbricht and Stauffenberg were able to counter that move by arresting Fromm and those who wished to give up, but it was all too late. Knowing that Hitler was alive, many of the reserve army soldiers simply refused to carry out Stauffenberg's orders out of loyalty to the Fuhrer. After 10PM, Remer’s troops besieged the Bendlerblock and ended Operation Valkyrie.

General Fromm, well aware that his slight involvement in the plot would end in his execution, decided to have all of the conspirators shot at once. General Beck was the first to commit suicide to avoid worse fate. As the conspirators lost control of the War Ministry Stauffenberg, Haeften, Olbricht, and Albrecht Mertz von Quirnheim were executed in the courtyard just after Midnight on 21st July 1944. All remaining conspirators were nearly without exception arrested, cross-examined, and tortured. The discovery of letters and diaries at the homes of the conspirators led to the exposure of the entire conspiracy which dated back to 1938.

A memorial to the German Resistance can be found at the Bendlerblock, and reads as follows:

You did not bear the shame.

You resisted.

You bestowed the eternally vigilant symbol of change

by sacrificing your impassioned lives for freedom, justice and honour.

Last edited:
You are an excellent storyteller. I could clearly visualize the sequence of events in my mind. : )

A memorial to the German Resistance can be found at the Bendlerblock, and reads as follows:

You did not bear the shame.

You resisted.

You bestowed the eternally vigilant symbol of change

by sacrificing your impassioned lives for freedom, justice and honour.

Loved this.

They came so close, and ultimately lost their lives - but at least they stood up and fought to topple a ghastly regime.

I have strong respect for that.

You are an excellent storyteller. I could clearly visualize the sequence of events in my mind. : )

Loved this.

They came so close, and ultimately lost their lives - but at least they stood up and fought to topple a ghastly regime.

I have strong respect for that.

Ditto. This story is amazing and I am thankful [MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION] was thorough in his explanation. I wouldn't expect anything less from a proper historian. :w:

I knew the story, but not nearly as detailed. Can you imagine if they had succeeded? Even though they weren't successful in the assassination, they were indeed so victorious in their own right by getting so close and forming such a plan to begin with. They were the few men who had the courage to stand up to a tyrant surrounded by an army so strong and so blindly loyal. That is so brave and fearless there are no words, however the Bendlerblock Memorial comes close.

<3

Reactions: Misadventure
The movie was good and I never understood why so many people were offended by it. You cant win for losing sometimes I guess.

Reactions: Free
[MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION],

Thanks for sharing this. I think it’s helpful to remember that lumping an entire group of people together and judging them all is narrow minded (especially when there are aspects in one’s own country that give no reason for pride).

In 1936, Jesse Owens, the tenth child of sharecropping parents, competed in the Olympics in Berlin. While Hitler touted the superiority of the Aryan race, Owens walked away with four gold medals in the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, the long jump, and the 400 meter relay. In the long jump, Owens almost failed to qualify because of overstepping the jump line in two out of three attempts. In the third attempt, Luz Long, a German competitor, helped Owens mark the spot from where he needed to jump in order to qualify for competition.

Describing the event, Owens said, “You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn’t be a plating on the 24-karat friendship I felt for Luz Long at that moment.” Though they never saw each other again, they kept in touch and as a soldier fighting for Germany in 1942, Long wrote this letter to Owens:

My heart is telling me that this is perhaps the last letter of my life. If that is so, I beg one thing from you. When the war is over, please go to Germany, find my son and tell him about his father. Tell him about the times when war did not separate us and tell him that things can be different between men in this world. Your brother, Luz. "

ARV_JO_102-40-1.jpg

Owens returned from the Olympics to a United States that still believed in segregation and the concept of “separate but equal” — he couldn’t use the same bathrooms, use the same water fountains, or travel on the same bus as whites in many parts of the country. The president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt didn’t so much as send Owens a telegram to congratulate him. And this country projected its own shadow onto Germany for their ideas of a “superior race”. It would have been helpful for us to examine ourselves before casting stones.

Owens returned from the Olympics to a United States that still believed in segregation and the concept of “separate but equal” – he couldn’t use the same bathrooms, use the same water fountains, or travel on the same bus as whites in many parts of the country. The president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt didn’t so much as send Owens a telegram to congratulate him. And this country projected its own shadow onto Germany for their ideas of a “superior race”. It would have been helpful for us to examine ourselves before casting stones.

you might be interested in the following article: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/1796

The Horrifying American Roots of Nazi Eugenics

The Horrifying American roots of nazi eugenics

The nazis had strong links to financial interests in the US and I doubt if killing Hitler would have stopped the overall nazi game plan because the nazi movement was bigger than Hitler

Hitler was in fact chosen to act as a kind of front man

I'm surprised someone hasn't made them remove all the history of the Nazis...(sarcasm)

Last edited:
The two idiots above: Take your petty sarcasm, ill-informed conspiracy theories and divisive rhetoric, and get out of my thread.

[MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION],

Thanks for sharing this. I think it’s helpful to remember that lumping an entire group of people together and judging them all is narrow minded (especially when there are aspects in one’s own country that give no reason for pride).

In 1936, Jesse Owens, the tenth child of sharecropping parents, competed in the Olympics in Berlin. While Hitler touted the superiority of the Aryan race, Owens walked away with four gold medals in the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, the long jump, and the 400 meter relay. In the long jump, Owens almost failed to qualify because of overstepping the jump line in two out of three attempts. In the third attempt, Luz Long, a German competitor, helped Owens mark the spot from where he needed to jump in order to qualify for competition.

Describing the event, Owens said, “You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn’t be a plating on the 24-karat friendship I felt for Luz Long at that moment.” Though they never saw each other again, they kept in touch and as a soldier fighting for Germany in 1942, Long wrote this letter to Owens:

My heart is telling me that this is perhaps the last letter of my life. If that is so, I beg one thing from you. When the war is over, please go to Germany, find my son and tell him about his father. Tell him about the times when war did not separate us and tell him that things can be different between men in this world. Your brother, Luz. "

ARV_JO_102-40-1.jpg

Owens returned from the Olympics to a United States that still believed in segregation and the concept of “separate but equal” — he couldn’t use the same bathrooms, use the same water fountains, or travel on the same bus as whites in many parts of the country. The president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt didn’t so much as send Owens a telegram to congratulate him. And this country projected its own shadow onto Germany for their ideas of a “superior race”. It would have been helpful for us to examine ourselves before casting stones.

I was always intrigued by Owens and his victory at the Berlin Olympics. I read a popular biography him once and recall him being a very humble person. He actually never spoke out against Hitler and his policies because he wasn't a political person. Sometimes we wish heroes to be more dynamic than they can be from their place in history. I recall a quote from the book (sorry if I don't get it exactly right), in which Owens criticized those who were criticizing Hitler saying essentially that people should be more respectful of "the man of the hour." I've always been thrilled by Owens victory in the German Olympics, just as I've a special place my heart for Joe Louis's victory over Max Schmeling (even though by all accounts Schmeling was a decent guy). Both athletes, whether they meant to or not, disproved without a doubt the idiotic, crack pot Nazi race theory, in which blonde haired blue eyed person prevailed in all things.
Jesse Owens Flying Through the Air at the Berlin Long Jump Event:
attachment.php

Reactions: AJ_
Calling someone an idiot is not the way to talk to someone. History should teach you that. If anyone was an idiot, it was Hitler. Hitler caused a lot of grief, but I don't hear anyone wishing to remove it from history. With such empirical findings, what would happen today with people like that in the US? I read and it causes questions to emerge. Nice information. Yes, some things in this world make me think of that term "idiot" quite often nowadays.