The Bell-Curve of Psychologically Mature Wisdom | INFJ Forum

The Bell-Curve of Psychologically Mature Wisdom

Animekitty

Regular Poster
Aug 28, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I was visiting my aunt at the hospital and I had a conversation with her room mate who was 65 years old (I am 23). I was trying to communicate myself to her because we had allot in common. She understood most of what I said but we did have one disagreement because I phrased a sentence in a way to give her the notions that I was arrogant as only people my age can be. She did not reprimand me for it but it was in the background of her mind the rest of the time I was there. At the ending of my visit a female priest who worked at the hospital came into our discussions. I am very aware of when people understand what I say in person. I know when they have a superficial understanding by how they approach me in tone in voice and in giving questions that do not build on what I have said. They use "you/do" statements frequently. This priest did not do that and I remember telling her something she fully grasped about me.

"I do not think I am smart because of what I know but because of how I think, most people assume that when I use worlds like epistemology I know everything about Greek philosophy when in reality I only study a few worlds or subjects until I believe I have the true meaning of what it is supposed to be in reality."

For my part I know what I know because I refine myself mentally on how to think, what I should know. I do not mass produce intellectually or physical feats on a whim. The drawback is that being a perfectionist about my interests decreases my motivation to refine my weaknesses unless I am sure to have psychological support from others. I would not be comfortable with people like my aunts roommate teaching me what to do not because I am arrogant but because they will see my lack of skill a flaw I chose to create inside myself and not as someone who really desires to learn.

This is where I see the title of the thread as a relevant talking point. If I admit that I am wise or that I am mature does that make it invalidated just because of my age or even because I mentioned that is what I am. I know this line of reasoning to be false but bias will insist them as fact. To them I only have an over inflated view of my virtues which is not the same as wisdom.

Carl Jung as the individual he was could see and describe all the psychological complexities of types he did and understand them as to what the person of that caliber was capable of. We each mature differently and our handicaps prevent us from seeing the world as it really is until we have disposed of them, which is not easy. The capacity to guild ones own life is never as fully attained as some would wish to hope. Though what gets us by in life may be do to more than luck it is certain that only a few can grasp the full extent of what reality has to offer. The whole picture does not readily revile everyone all that is or can be.

Q: Where do you see yourself on the bell-curve?
Q: Does what I say bring clarity to something you've never considered?
Q: Might I ask for your advice/views of situations like mine. In what ways have you found mature individuals who will not reject your way of thinking?

Reactions: invisible
you are not alone in this. i think quite a few can relate. so, this is the typical scenario: if you express your ability or capacity to do something, you're considered prideful or arrogant by someone older and more experienced because they believe you haven't lived long enough or know something well or completely. They see you as not having proved youself enough to earn that level of confidence. Instead, you're expected to appear innocent or defer to demonstrate your recognition of your supposed lack of knowing and understanding. yep, quite a few of us have been there, done that.

however, i'd avoid asserting that you're mature or smart as it suggests you have something to prove. This will raise flags and give a different impression than the one you'd like to give. And remember that sometimes it's not what is said but how.

Last edited:
i will never understand reality.

i don't care if someone can understand me or the way that i am. if they can't understand me, or aren't willing to try, then that's their problem. i just try and understand what it is that they think that they have to teach me, because if i can do it, then i know that i have learned something.