The Art Cafe

Radiantshadow

Urban shaman
May 8, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
Human
I scanned through the forum for something like this and couldn't find a place for members to post their favorite art and artists. Or even a general thread discussing art, art history, artistic movements and styles, and so on. So I'm making this because I think it would be interesting to see what attracts you all and maybe even expand some horizons (I know I'm always looking for more and I can't be the only one). Here are a few broad questions to stimulate discussion (don't feel beholden to them and feel free to add your own, of course):

Favorite pieces of art?
What style/artist are you most attracted to?
Have your tastes changed through life with your personal growth, or remained static?
Do certain artistic themes resonate with you more than others?
Favorite medium & tools/techniques?

Fan Kuan travellers.jpg

Fan Kuan's Travelers among Mountains and Streams

I love this piece for its' encouraging vastness; mankind is regulated to dust-speck status in the face of the greater universe. Because we are so tiny - check the river at the bottom, we're there - in comparison, there is always a journey to be taken and learning to be done. Some discovery will always beckon, whether it be escaping a bear's den (one can wander too far for too long, imo; see nihilism) or finding a new medicine to treat whathaveyou. Life is about the journey for me, and the ends I seek are constantly changing as I learn more and more about how little I really know. It is comforting to me to know there are fields yet traveled; knowing everything would be boring.

Besides the philosophical meaning, TaMaS has a dark, brooding atmosphere. When I look at this, it's like the mountain is issuing a mocking challenge, "Well, look at you! You're over there, safe and sound in your travels." (Silly mountain, challenge accepted!) I also enjoy the rolling and organic composition of Chinese (Eastern?) artwork in general, it's peaceful.

Overall, this work marks the newest chapter in my life. I've realized that I am (usually) intelligent enough to know my own stupidity and correct it wherever possible. A year ago, I thought I was past foundation-building -- funny is youth. I'm back there now, except now I am voraciously hungry for an in-depth understanding of how things really work and fit together. And I don't mind a bit, to my surprise.

Last edited:
Crucifiction.jpg

Zdzislaw Beksinski's Crucifiction

If there was ever a portal between nightmarish dispassion (war does this) and 'pampered' lives, this is it. It breathes tragedy to me, like a soldier clutching a dying comrade's head as the light in his eyes fade and the survivor is left wondering, "What the hell just happened?" Very organic and very real piece. Everything comes at a cost and we must decide where to draw the line when prices are too high, and how to remember, how to redeem by honoring (or preventing) the sacrifices of those who will pay every price. There is no heavier burden than responsibility, or one half as worth the tears shed.

Artistically speaking, I have a fetishy love of lighting techniques and shadow; there is a special place in my consideration for anything highlighting human frailty and anguish, especially when done subtly (I believe suffering should always be remembered). Mr. Beksinski delivers all of this with stunning detail, imo.

24-11.jpg27-08.jpg

Saturn Devouring His Son by Goya and Count Ugolino and His Sons by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux

I group these two paintings into the same idea: self-destruction through poetic justice. Aka, "you reap what you sow". The same concept lies behind divine judgement/heaven & hell, karma, and reincarnation (and probably other philosophies I haven't read yet). I'm falling asleep so I will add more to this tomorrow, I just wanted to put this up here tonight as a mental sticky note to myself.

---
I'm a little surprised that I'm the only contributor to this thread. :(

(Since I'm the only voice in this room of the forum, this thread is now hijacked for personal use 'till the end of the school year. Should make a good dump for art thoughts.)

So we're doing self-portraits in art class. We have to draw three of them, and I actually kinda like this project. I've already planned out what I'm going to do, and I think it's pretty symbolic of where I am in life. I'm going to draw myself ecorche style for all three, like an anatomical picture of a man only wearing his muscles and some bones, like this: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=ecorche&order=9&offset=0#/dzs26m. (All of this will be done in pencil and maybe some charcoal.)

Collectively, they provide a glimpse of my typical day. The first image is in the morning and will show me standing in front of my closet, back to the viewer, with arms outward and hands resting on the closet frame. Slightly relaxed yet tense stance as I pensively decide what to wear that day, the first of many choices throughout the day; because picking which clothes to wear is a reflects what role, what function, what use you are in society, this scene will be obviously symbolic of choice and identity -- what and who I am. Pretty easy material yet powerfully relevant due to my youth, just starting out in life with a whole wide world to explore.

The second scene is me at the Brain Factory, aka school, a medium for social propaganda. It will show a jail cell up close, looking in from the outside, bars prominently pushed in front of the picture as the viewer looks inside. Within will be a single desk with a stack of books and some paper & pencil. I'll be in the desk of course and opposite me, just outside the viewer's sight, will be a blackboard (i'll draw the edges of it and maybe some script on it to get the idea across). His body will be bored and resigned, elbow on desk and hand on cheek, veritably screaming "I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE, LET ME OUT".

Obviously, I'm rebelling against tradition and mindless indoctrination in this piece. Education dictates we think a certain way and know certain things that are deemed necessary by supposed experts to fulfill a societal quota, totally irrespective of the individual's talents and interests. Like Einstein, I refuse to let my education impede my learning, and I'm hoping to convey that here. (Afterthought: include a "Welcome to the Brain Factory" sign on one of the cell walls.)

The final frame will be of me at my computer desk, gazing out a large window split in twain, depicting pathways branching off into the distance. It will be night time, dark and dream-like. The view will be from the side and slightly behind, diagonal, so both me and the window (my future) can be seen. The content is again pretty obvious: choice and possibility. A young adult coming of age and venturing into his real life, condemned to the freedom of personal responsibility.

Just some thoughts spilling out so I can see them:

- Proper perspective and depth will be an issue, particularly in "The Brain Factory". Take time, lightly draw several cell dimensions and play with the bars; it's supposed to feel simultaneously clinically scientific and detached yet very personal and provokative.

- Be general, then specific. Draw limbs first, then modify for muscles; stop trying to do everything at once. TAKE YOUR TIME because all of these have to be really detailed. Start soon, next few weeks are going to be busy. Don't be afraid to ask Mom for help and advice with shading and those dreaded proportions.

- If asked to select one image of the three to 'favorite' and show in five different perspectives, ask teacher if you can just draw two more scenes because THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN SYMBOLISM AND MEANING WILL BE LOST IF YOU SEPARATE THE SCENES FROM EACH OTHER. THEY ARE A FAMILY OF IDEAS, THEY GO TOGETHER. This is more than a self-portrait; this is your timeline, your life, your potential as a human being. Don't let anyone play with that.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Ooohh, pretty. I can definitely see why you'd want them on your walls =) The left strikes me as kind of fairytale-ish, a muse caught by a lucky lad (knight?). (Yeah, I pulled that out of my head.) The style reminds me of these:

_a_sunny_morning_at_beaumont_le_roger1ed26.jpgspringtime6c8e.jpg

I'm mostly drawn to digital art. Traditional paintings can be fascinating with all sorts of detailing symbolism. Yet, i like the often more simplistic style that much digital art has. In particular I very much like the Samurai Spirits from a guy who calls himself ArtGerm on deviantArt. (not gonna copy it cause dunno the copyrights) I am not really sure what it is I like so much about these paintings, i suspect its because of the blood, it indicate some sort of pain, or the aggressive expressions in the paintings. Never really gave much thought to the why, I just either like it or I dont :) I believe that sometimes you should just enjoy the art, and dont analyse it too much, which I have a feeling is happening way too often, in general. I mean, if you analyse it and explain it all, then the art loses its charm, in my opinion. If you see it you see it, if you dont. Too bad.
Gotta admit I have been pretty ignorant about art I find less interesting. Which narrows my knowledge because i dont study what I find boring, thou it might be recognised great piece of art. So i'm a bit ignorant in this. Likewise, I have not had much interest in artsy stuff, I liked to draw some years back, but never gave attention to art in general untill i discovered the world of digital art.

I'm mostly drawn to digital art. Traditional paintings can be fascinating with all sorts of detailing symbolism. Yet, i like the often more simplistic style that much digital art has. In particular I very much like the Samurai Spirits from a guy who calls himself ArtGerm on deviantArt. (not gonna copy it cause dunno the copyrights) I am not really sure what it is I like so much about these paintings, i suspect its because of the blood, it indicate some sort of pain, or the aggressive expressions in the paintings. Never really gave much thought to the why, I just either like it or I dont :) I believe that sometimes you should just enjoy the art, and dont analyse it too much, which I have a feeling is happening way too often, in general. I mean, if you analyse it and explain it all, then the art loses its charm, in my opinion. If you see it you see it, if you dont. Too bad.
Gotta admit I have been pretty ignorant about art I find less interesting. Which narrows my knowledge because i dont study what I find boring, thou it might be recognised great piece of art. So i'm a bit ignorant in this. Likewise, I have not had much interest in artsy stuff, I liked to draw some years back, but never gave attention to art in general untill i discovered the world of digital art.

Agreed, for the most part. I can appreciate most art for its historical relevance and themes, but I only actually like a really small fraction of it; I know what I like when I see it (doesn't happen that often, unfortunately), and thoroughly explore its background to better appreciate. The art I'm drawn to reflects some aspect of myself or human nature, typically hidden or suppressed. What I keep and create is a projection of my identity, a facet of myself that trusted others will see when they come into my house. Everything else, "great art" included, I couldn't care less about on a personal level and would never occupy my personal space as the above posts do.

Truthfully, most of my (limited) knowledge comes from an introductory high school class on art history. We're wrapping up the class as the year draws a red curtain and neither teacher nor AP test covered digital art. So I'll definitely have a look at your link and probably search around deviantart this weekend to see what I can dig up.

Just know that there are also lots of "not so good" stuff around when you search the deviantArt. ;)

Naturally. Everyone starts somewhere and I'm an amateur at the very best.

i like nineteenth century art (and literature). the first painting by waterhouse is very pretty; the girl appears to be a mermaid. i don't quite trust her, but she seems enchanting and desirable nonetheless.

there is a website that has been around for years - elfwood - fantasy and SF amateur art and fiction. i haven't visited for a long time, but i think you can find some pretty good stuff on there. think there might be digital art, too (?)

Favorite pieces of art?
- painting depicting scenes of nature, landscape, water, Thomas Kinkade pics, use of stark, brighter hues or colors. I like multi hued artwork. Or variations in a one particular color in a piece of art. I also like digital art - God send.

Examples:
Digital_Art_Painting_by_worldofcreativeart.jpg

oil-painting-11.jpg

What style/artist are you most attracted to?
- Impressionist. They were the first art movement I studied in college. The reflection of light in bright or lighted surfaces is very visually appealing and attractive.

Have your tastes changed through life with your personal growth, or remained static?
-I've learned more about art in the last 5 years just by searching online. I think it's helped me find ways to better appreciate the aesthetics of things. It helps me to feel more capable of expressing creative interests.

Do certain artistic themes resonate with you more than others?
- I like paintings with a very ethereal or classic quality. Pain, wistful qualities, hazy, or a lazy mood.

Example:

chinese-art-painting-290-2.jpg

Favorite medium & tools/techniques?
- Painting, brush, impressionistic, watercolor