The Agony of Being Connected to Everything in the Universe

La Sagna

I did it! I'm a butterfly!
Oct 27, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
The agony of being connected to everything in the Universe

What is to give light must endure burning.
–Victor Frankel

Many of us have set out on the path of enlightenment. We long for a release of selfhood in some kind of mystical union with all things. But that moment of epiphany—when we finally see the whole pattern and sense our place in the cosmic web—can be a crushing experience from which we never fully recover.
Compassion hurts. When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything. You can not turn away. Your destiny is bound to the destinies of others. You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it. You must grow strong enough to love the world, yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors.
To seek enlightenment is to seek annihilation, rebirth, and the taking up of burdens. You must come prepared to touch and be touched by each and every thing in heaven and hell.

+ I am One with the Universe and it hurts. +

http://andrewboyd.com/

Reactions: invisible
This is quite accurate, you know.

:drum:

Reactions: La Sagna
"yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors." Isnt this the truth.

Well shit yeah! Of course!

The universe is everything. Being one with it means all of it, not only the good parts.

This guy is full of shit

I find it difficult to connect to the universe as a whole, and find it much easier to feel a connection with other living things, ecosystems, and the Earth, because we were all created and evolved within this little corner of the universe. We share a common origin; the same story. We're all in this together. The universe is merely one part of creation, albeit a large part, and it is indifferent to life. It is mostly a cold, dark, empty place devoid of life, but without out it life wouldn't have been possible. It is this sense of shared isolation that moves me. The pain in the universe is really the pain and suffering that living things endure to be alive in this universe. When I look up at the night sky I think it is beautiful, and I marvel at its vastness, and the feeling of being so small in something so large makes me feel a part of it, if only for a moment, but I don't FEEL connected to it. It is its beauty that moves me and inspires me, but I resist that deep connection. I reserve that for death when this little drop of water merges back into the ocean.

I largely feel connected to something that transcends the universe, not the universe itself.

''The universe is experiencing itself through us'' - Alan Watts

''The universe is experiencing itself through us'' - Alan Watts

Moreover, one is connected with it whether they want to be or not. There is no resisting it, there is no escaping it. There is only being unaware of it. Or not.

Not feeling it is only like a novocaine shot at the dentist. Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean there's nothing going on.

Moreover, one is connected with it whether they want to be or not. There is no resisting it, there is no escaping it. There is only being unaware of it. Or not.

Not feeling it is only like a novocaine shot at the dentist. Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean there's nothing going on.

We are being deliberately disconnected from our interconnectivity by left brain dominant people seeking to systematise us into being drones

They have been failing in this so they will next seek to replace us with machines....first they will merge machines with our bodies and then in time they will phase out humanity altogether

Step one will be to inject RFID micro chips under everyones skin like they are already doing to dogs (you must have this done by law in the UK)

They will sell these changes as being 'cool' new technology that will supposedly improve our lives

They will make films in Holly-wood where icons like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt use the new technology themselves and show the tech in a positive light

I find it difficult to connect to the universe as a whole, and find it much easier to feel a connection with other living things, ecosystems, and the Earth, because we were all created and evolved within this little corner of the universe. We share a common origin; the same story. We're all in this together. The universe is merely one part of creation, albeit a large part, and it is indifferent to life.

What you describe you are connected to is kind of what I interpret as the Universe in the passage. I see it as all the living things and all their interactions, good or bad, all the feelings, agonies, judgements, joys...more than the actual physical space. I believe that we are connected in some way to the physical space and that it connects us to each other but that is where you can find peace more than suffering. The suffering comes from the lived experiences.

I don't think it hurts in the traditional sense. In my experience, when I feel connected to everything, I can see love (or the struggle for love) everywhere, and this includes complete acceptance without judging. Together with vulnerability, which can feel like hurt, but it's really just another expression of love. In the big context, I don't think there is such a thing as 'good' or 'bad' anymore. Of course, you see much suffering, but this is just the surface - you know that beneath that surface, everything is exactly how it should be.

At least that's my experience.

Conversely, not connected to anything at all. A finite universe come and gone in a blink.

I largely feel connected to something that transcends the universe, not the universe itself.

That is a good point. It's definitely not on a personal basis IMO.

What resonated with me particularly in the quote that I posted was this line: When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything.

For as long as I can remember I have felt responsible for everyone and everything, like I was supposed to make everything better for everybody. I guess it is because I have always felt a connection to every human being. In a way my introversion seems like it would be a natural consequence of needing to get away from the feeling of responsibility that comes from being around other people.

I think that has been my biggest lesson so far, that I am not responsible for anybody else but myself. I can choose to take care of people or help them or do nice things for them, but it should never be out of a sense of responsibility because that is too big of a burden for one person. 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'. How people choose to behave or think or feel is their choice and you can gently try to guide them but ultimately you have to let them decide for themselves and remove yourself from feeling responsible for their decision.

Reactions: apemon
Wow, it's so accurate.

This hit me: You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it.

Sometimes it feels so hard to live in this world. Universe and every part of it are so beautiful yet crushing. Hard to put it into words.

''and every thing in heaven and hell.''

Good thread. :)

What resonated with me particularly in the quote that I posted was this line: When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything.

For as long as I can remember I have felt responsible for everyone and everything, like I was supposed to make everything better for everybody. I guess it is because I have always felt a connection to every human being. In a way my introversion seems like it would be a natural consequence of needing to get away from the feeling of responsibility that comes from being around other people.

I think that has been my biggest lesson so far, that I am not responsible for anybody else but myself. I can choose to take care of people or help them or do nice things for them, but it should never be out of a sense of responsibility because that is too big of a burden for one person. 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'. How people choose to behave or think or feel is their choice and you can gently try to guide them but ultimately you have to let them decide for themselves and remove yourself from feeling responsible for their decision.

I don't disagree with the sentiment here but unfortunately the realities on the ground are somewhat different

Its the nature of our societies that our governments need the acquiecance of the workers before they will do things (this is called 'manufacturing consent'). An example would be how the UK government recently voted against open war in syria because they had practically zero support from the UK public

We already had riots kick off in a number of cities in england because of a police shooting incident. People are angry and getting angrier. We have more and more people dependent on loans and food banks

The authorities know they need to pacify the mind of the public before they can implement any change that will be unpopular. if they don't do that they get met with resistance like they did with the poll tax riots

However resistance only works if there are enough people involved. This means that people need to stand shoulder to shoulder. We can't criticise striking workers for causing us inconveniences because next month it might be us striking

We need to realise that we are all connected in many ways and that our voices are only heard when raised together as one voice

So....the reality on the ground is that we all need to start taking responsibility for each other and acting together as one coordinated global community or the powers that be are going to steamroll all the seperate dissunited pockets of resistance

Last edited:
I don't disagree with the sentiment here but unfortunately the realities on the ground are somewhat different

Its the nature of our societies that our governments need the acquiecance of the workers before they will do things (this is called 'manufacturing consent'). An example would be how the UK government recently voted against open war in syria because they had practically zero support from the UK public

We already had riots kick off in a number of cities in england because of a police shooting incident. People are angry and getting angrier. We have more and more people dependent on loans and food banks

The authorities know they need to pacify the mind of the public before they can implement any change that will be unpopular. if they don't do that they get met with resistance like they did with the poll tax riots

However resistance only works if there are enough people involved. This means that people need to stand shoulder to shoulder. We can't criticise striking workers for causing us inconveniences because next month it might be us striking

We need to realise that we are all connected in many ways and that our voices are only heard when raised together as one voice

So....the reality on the ground is that we all need to start taking responsibility for each other and acting together as one coordinated global community or the powers that be are going to steamroll all the seperate dissunited pockets of resistance

I'm talking about the realities in my own personal life. I do care and I do try to make a difference in the World and I try to speak up to defend the rights of the underdog but these types of things have to be a free choice. You cannot force people to see the world the way you do. In my personal experience the more you try to help people or to get them to help themselves the more they resist and sometimes they end up worse off than if you had not tried to help them. People have to learn their own personal lessons and sometimes fall flat on their faces before they get the message. I can say my peace and I can try to help them but in the end I am not responsible for what they decide to do. I am only responsible for what I decide to do.

On a personal level I have had to detach myself from the feelings of responsibility for everything or it was going to destroy me. It is still a struggle at times but I can usually catch myself and remember the lessons I have learned.

I'm talking about the realities in my own personal life. I do care and I do try to make a difference in the World and I try to speak up to defend the rights of the underdog but these types of things have to be a free choice. You cannot force people to see the world the way you do. In my personal experience the more you try to help people or to get them to help themselves the more they resist and sometimes they end up worse off than if you had not tried to help them. People have to learn their own personal lessons and sometimes fall flat on their faces before they get the message. I can say my peace and I can try to help them but in the end I am not responsible for what they decide to do. I am only responsible for what I decide to do.

On a personal level I have had to detach myself from the feelings of responsibility for everything or it was going to destroy me. It is still a struggle at times but I can usually catch myself and remember the lessons I have learned.

Ok i understand what you're saying

I'm definately of the mind now that united we stand divided we fall

But it's true you can't force someone to change their perceptions

I posted that clip of stephen molyneax (another canadian) in the IRS thread; in it he gets frustrated because he knows that if the rest of society agree to things he doesn't want to happen he will be dragged along with them...it's true

There is only one cure for that as stephen knows....its to share what he knows so that others can see what he sees so they don't walk like lemmings off a cliff

People believe what they want to believe though.....they have to want to let go of old perceptions before they will

It's a fascinating and also disturbing thing about humans.....their perception of reality can be completely different from actual reality

Well yeah, it's agonizing and frustrating to be going through self-realization by yourself, but the world wasn't made to be easy. It was made for us to do with it what we want.

I feel like we often forget the magic of existence and our society. We can breathe air and eat food! We've made it possible for us to move from one end of the earth to the other in less than a day. Remember to take things like this in! The smell of a warm summer's day when the grass has just been cut. The warm sand between your toes. Enjoying what's here and right in front of your nose is an important part of self-realization and being connected to the universe, I think.

Have a good journey onwards. There's no way to go back!

Reactions: New Dawn Fades