Terror Management Theory explains what is happening in the US and Europe | INFJ Forum

Terror Management Theory explains what is happening in the US and Europe

La Sagna

I did it! I'm a butterfly!
Oct 27, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I have done research on terror management theory (TMT), which helps to explain what is happening in the world today. When people are reminded of their mortality, they react by defending their “worldview” which often creates the need for people to defend their “ingroup” and denegrate those who are considered part of the “outgroup”. There is much evidence to support this theory.
Irrationality and an unconscious emotional reaction to the fear of death explains what is happening in the US and in England.

In social psychology, terror management theory (TMT) proposes a basic psychological conflict that results from having a desire to live, but realizing that death is inevitable. This conflict produces terror, and is believed to be unique to human beings. Moreover, the solution to the conflict is also generally unique to humans: culture. According to TMT, cultures are symbolic systems that act to provide life with meaning and value. Cultural values therefore serve to manage the terror of death by providing life with meaning.[1][2]The theory was originally proposed by Jeff Greenberg, Sheldon Solomon, and Tom Pyszczynski.[1]
The simplest examples of cultural values that manage the terror of death are those that purport to offer literal immortality (e.g. belief in afterlife, religion).[3] However, TMT also argues that other cultural values – including those that are seemingly unrelated to death – offer symbolic immortality. For example, value of national identity,[4] posterity,[5] cultural perspectives on sex,[6] and human superiority over animals[6] have all been linked to death concerns in some manner. In many cases these values are thought to offer symbolic immortality by providing the sense that one is part of something greater that will ultimately outlive the individual (e.g. country, lineage, species).
Because cultural values determine that which is meaningful, they also contribute to self-esteem. TMT describes self-esteem as being the personal, subjective measure of how well an individual is living up to their cultural values.[2] Like cultural values, self-esteem acts to protect one against the terror of death. However, it functions to provide one's personal life with meaning, while cultural values provide meaning to life in general.
TMT is derived from anthropologist Ernest Becker's 1973 Pulitzer Prize-winning work of nonfiction The Denial of Death, in which Becker argues most human action is taken to ignore or avoid the inevitability of death. The terror of absolute annihilation creates such a profound – albeit subconscious – anxiety in people that they spend their lives attempting to make sense of it. On large scales, societies build symbols: laws, religious meaning systems, cultures, and belief systems to explain the significance of life, define what makes certain characteristics, skills, and talents extraordinary, reward others whom they find exemplify certain attributes, and punish or kill others who do not adhere to their cultural worldview. On an individual level, self-esteem provides a buffer against death-related anxiety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_theory

There are many articles online tying Donald Trump to TMT
https://medium.com/@galindes/how-tr...agement-theory-to-win-465bffc71a0f#.yr28xmp9z
http://www.joshuanhook.com/donald-trump-and-the-psychology-of-fear/
http://ernestbecker.org/a-fascinating-psychological-experiment-could-explain-donald-trumps-rise/
http://ernestbecker.org/resources/denial-in-the-press/
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...p-s-appeal-Death-anxieties-and-strict-fathers

It seems obvious to me that the same thing is happening in Europe. Hearing about migrants dying in numbers, among other news reports, including the murder of MP Jo Cox, would cause people to retreat into their narrow worldview to boost their self-esteem.

I think it may also help to explain why places like Canada are more immune to it because we don't feel as threatened as people in the US and in Europe. We feel safer.

It's fascinating stuff.

I think terror management theory can explain endless examples of human behavior, both as large and as small as can be.

I agree with your conclusions, for what that is worth.

Cheers,
Ian

@La Sagna

I’m pretty sure since my Mom was born in Canada (dual citizenship) I can move up there easier than the average US Joe.
Seriously considering it if the US keeps going more and more insane.

Reactions: Tin Man
You would think we would feel safer with the shit-ton of guns in Murica...but it’s the Canadians that leave their doors unlocked at night.
We run on fear here.

@La Sagna

I’m pretty sure since my Mom was born in Canada (dual citizenship) I can move up there easier than the average US Joe.
Seriously considering it if the US keeps going more and more insane.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Yeah, they have their own issues...and I’m not a particular fan of lots of snow in the winter, but I’ve been there plenty of times and still have relatives up there.
They are so much nicer and genuine overall than the average US citizen IMHO.

@La Sanga - brilliant post, I think Becker's work is the most plausible explanation of human psychology I've ever read. It's well researched and tested, and is the most compelling I've seen. That said in a wider context I think maybe there's a great deal more to what's going on - which is largely based on our perceptions, the world we find that is assembled by our senses and maintained by our mind and memory which appear to be potentially unreliable. Have you ever heard of James Lovelock and Gaia theory ? I like looking at the contradictions or questions between mathematics and physics, especially mathematics which is usually the 'back bone' supporting evidence of scientific theories.

Not my favorite scientist by any means - but have you ever read the Unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences by Eugene Wigner ?

Interesting interpretation. There's definitely merit to it. With all the acts of terrorism recently, it's logical that people look for something to hold onto, something to make sense of the world.

I'm not sure if it's just related to mortality though. The reaction also seems to rise from the threat of undesired change. There's been a visible decry against social norms changing, and so much offense taken at perceived political correctness lately. I think it also plays a part in the blind defense of belief.