TED Talk: Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything | INFJ Forum

TED Talk: Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What do you think? Do you think her presentation was effective? Do you think her point was good or realistic? Who is her target audience? Do you think she made her point well?

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me _i_m_a_model.html?fb_ref=talk[/video]

What do you think? Do you think her presentation was effective? Do you think her point was good or realistic? Who is her target audience? Do you think she made her point well?

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me _i_m_a_model.html?fb_ref=talk[/video]

Great video! I really liked the last 30 seconds when she brought it home. I think she did a great job of making us recognize that many of us in the world win the 'life lottery' - albeit beauty, body type, affluence, geography, etc. But I also think that she also points out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I was impressed at her honesty, and how she really came off humble and almost ashamed that she benefited from something she was just given.

I think she could have done a bit better of giving more context and facts, and even integrate sexism and the patriarchal nature of most things in the world. I think providing more context, would have given her a bit more 'umphf' in her objectives.

I'm not sure who her audience is- I think she hits a lot of them.

I'm curious to see what you think <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://www.infjs.com/member.php?u=1669" target="_blank">Framed</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> !

Great video! I really liked the last 30 seconds when she brought it home. I think she did a great job of making us recognize that many of us in the world win the 'life lottery' - albeit beauty, body type, affluence, geography, etc. But I also think that she also points out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I was impressed at her honesty, and how she really came off humble and almost ashamed that she benefited from something she was just given.

I think she could have done a bit better of giving more context and facts, and even integrate sexism and the patriarchal nature of most things in the world. I think providing more context, would have given her a bit more 'umphf' in her objectives.

I'm not sure who her audience is- I think she hits a lot of them.

I'm curious to see what you think

I like her presentation. I think the contrast between the model and personal pics are effective. Her nervousness is endearing, I think it makes the audience relate to her story more. Her opening dress up/dress down icebreaker did a great job of making her point the effects of image and fashion on perception. However, her message may be undercut by the idea that she is a successful model who has made money from presenting a glam image of women's bodies and fashions. So, I think someone may read it as she is contradicting her message. I think she is genuine and honest but she is still making money from an industry which sells unrealistic images of women. She of course has every right to make a living as a model, but she is also benefiting from this "genetic lottery" she is privileged to have. She is beautiful and I think she looks great in what she wears. However, I wonder how a teen girl would process this message. If she sees Cameron on a magazine cover, what's going to have more impact, that Cameron is looking very glam on a cover and being famous for being a model or that being successful model can be tough and can have insecurities. So, I'm not sure which is the more dominant message received vs. what is intended. This is why I was curious about other's response.