Tech talk | INFJ Forum

Tech talk

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
Are there any members who'd like to do some tech talk? You know, talking about the latest gadgets, science, IT etc. All the psychology and feeler's stuff in here is interesting, but not all the time.

Well, let me start by posting what I'm currently playing with: DRBD. It's like RAID over a network.

Are there any members who'd like to do some tech talk? You know, talking about the latest gadgets, science, IT etc. All the psychology and feeler's stuff in here is interesting, but not all the time.

Well, let me start by posting what I'm currently playing with: DRBD. It's like RAID over a network.

Best of luck with implementation. Should be a sweet setup if I read that site correctly.

I need tech advice regarding RAID, as it happens. Currently, I have a RAID 0 with 2x 7200rpm HDDs. I am very satisfied with the performance. Thinking of building a new system with SSD HDs. Anyone know whether RAID 0 with 2x SSD is overkill or if a single SSD is adequate for the long-haul? Much thanks!

Thinking of building a new system with SSD HDs. Anyone know whether RAID 0 with 2x SSD is overkill or if a single SSD is adequate for the long-haul?

Yeah, that sounds pretty overkill. My friends do film editing on RAID 0 and that is already pretty fast.

Thanks for the feedback. My goal is to ensure the HDs aren't a major bottleneck. Unfortunately, thanks to the recent floods in Thailand, prices are still higher than normal.

For the HDs you select, how are you factoring in price, performance (ie 5400 rpm, 7200 rpm, 15k rpm, SSD, cache, 3Gbps, 6Gbps, etc.) and things like decibel level, heat, and power consumption?

For the HDs you select, how are you factoring in price, performance [...] and things like decibel level, heat, and power consumption?

We always buy the cheapest hard disk available ($ per Terabyte) that has at least 3 years warranty. Noise, heat and power consumption really don't matter that much in this context.

Let's talk about battle toads