Dares, Dreams, Does
Jun 11, 2014
MBTI
INFJ-A
Enneagram
1w2
Hey hey ^^

So I was wondering a couple of things like;
How do you personally feel about group/team projects? What roles do you tend to take on and which do you try to avoid? How vocal are you in a team/group setting and when? How do others tend to feel about working with you?

Last edited:
How do you personally feel about group/team projects?

When I know a group project is on the radar, I mourn its inevitable arrival and pray I get some decent non-control freak people to team up with. I like to work by myself, doing my own thing, at my own pace, without wanting to be accountable to others prior the due date, and without needing to rely on other people who will affect my grade. When an assignment is marked based on the group itself, as opposed to individual marks given, I think it's a fairly unjust method. I don't care if others get a better mark due to my work, but it's always a bummer when one is marked down because of someone else (i.e. their soft voice in a presentation, or poor referencing or flow of logic etc.). But despite being a perfectionist I've learnt to not really care what mark I get.

What roles do you tend to take on and which do you try to avoid? How vocal are you in a team/group setting and when?

It depends on the group dynamic. I'll play the introverted passive-background role until I suss out the group dynamics. This is more of an instinctive thing than a logical procedure I carry out within my mind. If there's no one who is assertive and sets themselves up as 'the head', and everyone is a wet blanket, or they're indicating they want me to be 'the main guy' (which happens quite a lot funnily enough) then I'll take an assertive leadership role and get the ball rolling in a democratic-discursive way, but with an intention to get some solid results and not to merely 'mess around' (even if I mess around externally, internally I'll be waiting for the moment to get back on track).

In fact for some reason 80% of the time I've ended up being the most assertive and vocal in a group situation, both in high school and university settings. Usually it's by way of default, the other person/people defer to me and thus I'm compelled to. I don't mind leading and I don't mind taking a back seat. But if I take a back seat I would find some way of ensuring I impressed my own individual seal on what I did/contributed to the project. Yet almost always I'm either equally assertive as the other person, or more assertive.

When delegating the work load comes up, I usually try and sneakily get more of the work load, sometimes I end up with a bit of a dud partner and don't trust their abilities. I never get resentful if I have to do more work, so long as it's done well that'll all I care about. Even if I do all of it, and the teacher esteems all alike, I don't care - if the task was done well, and it had a good impact, was interesting, entertaining, and made the teacher/class think - then I'm pleased, even if the mark is not an A. I must admit I'm a bit of a passive control freak if the assertive role falls to me, but I do it in such a subtle and Fe way my team mates wouldn't even notice.

If I'm in a setting where I don't really know everyone, I'm slow and shy to find a partner and usually end up with the last pick of the bunch. If there's someone who is a more dominant and assertive character I'll let them take the reigns in degree to their assertiveness, even to the point where I can become like a frozen mouse that only squeaks when asked.

Edit: If it's a group setting and feedback to the main larger class is required, then I'm usually much more reserved. If it's a small group/class, or even better, if it's an actual outside of class task (i.e. project/assignment) then I'm much more assertive.

With my study I usually end up in groups that consist primarily of introverts. I for one don't like group projects because somehow I always manage to get into the groups that lack the will to really do something. I try to dodge responsibility roles like team lead, because usually I already know it is not going to work out the moment I enter a group and see there is no real leader and that gets to me.

Just like [MENTION=14675]Night Owl[/MENTION], I'm usually the most assertive member on the team. I tend to try to guide the leads into motion without replacing them, really I more or less try to nudge them into doing what needs to be done. I'm rather vocal as well about how things should be done if they're being done in a way that will require a redo later.

During team meetings I always feel like I'm the guy everyone is looking to hear from, as if I'm the leader, frankly that creeps me out. I want to be in the background but in team projects yet the situation always forces me to the forefront because I'm the one guy that even if hes handed a pile of shit wants to make it the best looking pile out there. Team projects tend to make me feel like an asshole because I cannot help but speak up when things are going the wrong way. Yet past block, I got really endearing reviews from the other team members.

I think that aside from that the one thing I really don't like about team projects is that they usually feel like a compromise between what everyone wants to do and no one's heart really seems into it. I actually like team projects better when they're lead by someone who has a vision of what he/she wants and forces it through and leads well to get the project there rather than the lackluster stuff you otherwise are served.

Last edited:
With my study I usually end up in groups that consist primarily of introverts. I for one don't like group projects because somehow I always manage to get into the groups that lack the will to really do something.

Haha. Yes, this is exactly what I meant by almost always getting stuck with a group that is filled with 'wet blankets'. I don't know why but I've never been one to lack self-confidence or feel insecure, even if I am at times unwilling to express my opinion if I sense it will be poorly received. The majority of people in group situations I've been in, seem to lack a little flare. I feel like I've got to be the guy that's like "come on guys, we can do it", and I hate and love that role at the same time.

To universalise on INFJ's maybe we're like a magnet for 'such personalities' (whatever that even means). Indeed I think people often see us as leaders and as having a charismatic quality, but there is that reluctance to be 'center front'. Like you [MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION] I prefer to be in the background, and to lead in a more indirect way if I can, by influencing others. "Let me be your puppet master, just say and do as I tell you" [a hyperbole, but probably more true than I give credit].

I think that aside from that the one thing I really don't like about team projects is that they usually feel like a compromise between what everyone wants to do and no one's heart really seems into it. I actually like team projects better when they're lead by someone who has a vision of what he/she wants and forces it through and leads well to get the project there rather than the lackluster stuff you otherwise are served.

A keen observation, I agree. Often if I am forced to lead my diplomacy can lead to something being done less than the ideal because of such semi-compromises - especially if there's a bull in the group, I don't want to butt heads. The best results (in a group context) have been when I have put myself fully into something with one other person who I mesh with and with whom a clear vision can be agreed upon, set, aimed for, and reached. I really like it when there's a strong leader who is not me, and who delegates well, and lets one have some freedom and creativity in doing ones own thing, whilst offering constructive advice and guidelines - such as in my experience with drama.

Last edited: