Talkativeness: The most important factor? | INFJ Forum

Talkativeness: The most important factor?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Interest in Conversation: (N=F, E, J):
ENFJ (highest)
ENFP
INFJ
INFP, ESFJ
ENTJ
INTJ, ENTP, ESFP, ISFJ
INTP, ISFP
ESTJ
ISTJ
ESTP
ISTP (lowest)

"NFs may struggle with STs (especially STPs) relative lack of interest in conversation. Even those who share E and P preferences (e.g., ENFPs and ESTPs) may struggle because of this issue. INFs, in particular, want to feel heard and understood at a deep level. So while NFs might find themselves initially drawn to ESTs for other reasons, they are less likely to find lasting satisfaction than if they paired with a type more interested in conversation." (A. J. Drenth)

I remember a period of conversing extensively with my ESTJ friend. It turns out that much of the conversation might have been fueled mostly by me because I needed conversation.

It was very obviously true of my ISTJ acquaintance who almost always ended a conversation sooner than I did and rarely conversed with more than "Hi" and a ritualistic question about how I was doing. Finally, I decided that I just didn't find it very fruitful to converse, since our conversations were rarely the style or length that I enjoyed.

My ESTP acquaintance rarely even talked, despite his sociability.

So this leaves me with the wonderful conversational responsiveness of my ENFJ acquaintances and the occasional ENFP that I meet (e.g., a cousin). Some of the INFPs I know are fairly responsive and talkative, so they make for pleasant company, despite occasional miscommunications.

However:

"Types that are highly talkative may be less compatible with another type that is also highly talkative. Similarly, individuals who prefer to talk less may find little stimulation in relationships with other quiet souls. Thus, in most successful relationships there seems to be a relative balance with regard to talkativeness."

So I guess we are stuck with xNTPs. :)

I'm not so sure about this ranking. I'm (probably, mostly) ESTJ. My husband is INFJ. I talk a LOT more than he does, and even growing up I was considered VERY talkative. (Doesn't she ever shut up? Chatty Cathy! Chatterbox, blabbermouth, etc.)