Supernatural MBTI | INFJ Forum

Supernatural MBTI

Happy Phantom

Jun 20, 2016
Over the Hills and Far Away
MBTI
INFJ
Sam Winchester- Not an easy character to type. Initially I thought INFP, but thanks to a well written and thought out tumblr description I’m thinking INTP.

Dominate Function: Introverted Thinking
Sam’s dominate function is introverted thinking. He likes to know the system behind things, and is very focused on making rational decisions rather than basing his choices on sentiment. When going through mysteries, he searches for motivation, and is deeply interested in what makes people tick. Sam is exceptional about developing theories about supernatural events, and modifying the rules to logically make sense. He is often the brother that offers an explanation for the unique situation they find themselves in, and leans towards the cold, but calculated choices.

Auxiliary Function: Extroverted Intuition
Sam is often the brother who suggests something operates outside of the normal ‘rules’. He doesn’t ignore anomalies, but instead he adds to and modifies his understanding of rules and structures to accommodate the new data. He thinks in abstractions, of how things could be or should be. Although INTPs are often depicted as batty or eccentric, Sam grew up in an environment that was extremely unusual, and his desire to be 'normal’ is actually a strong will to live outside of the box. His primary way of dealing with the world around him is a strong wit, and searching for new ideas or options for the brothers to pursue. He does not take orders at face value, preferring to seek out all possible routes before deciding on his path.

Tertiary Function: Introverted Sensing
Although Sam Winchester thinks outside of the box, he still has extremely strong ties to the past. He remembers details about all kinds of monsters, subtleties of his relationship with his family, and he draws from that to form his experiences. Even if he is having fun at the moment, his past haunts him and he just wants to complete any unfinished business and leave the life of a hunter behind him.

Inferior Function: Extroverted Feeling
Extroverted Feeling is Sam’s weakest function, but it is still apparent. He displays this function more often with strangers he just meets, taking on the responsibility of consoling victims of Supernatural crimes. He is empathetic and wants to bring their life back into harmony. However, applying this function to the people closest to him is still developing. Sam wants the best for his family, but he does not shy away from conflict. He routinely checks in on how Dean is feeling, but he rarely changes his behavior unless a situation is extremely dire.

Dean Winchester: ESTP
John Winchester: ISTJ
Mary Winchester: ENFJ
Bobby Singer: ISTP
Crowley- ENTX
Lucifer- INTJ
Castiel: ISTJ
Azazel: INTJ
Ruby: (Season 3) ENTJ. (Season 4) INTJ.
Lilith: ENTP
Eve: ENFJ
Dick Roman: ENTJ
Metatron: INTX
Gabriel: INFJ
Elliot Ness: ESTJ

The hilarity of so many people online typing Dean as an ESTJ (or worse, ESFJ :tongueclosed:)is an object lesson in how little the average internet goober knows about MBTI. He is the prototypical "charming action man" ESTP. One of the most obvious fictional characters for me to type, ever.

Dominant Se: Dean is engaged in the physical world for nearly every second of screen time. He eats like a pig, drinks like a fish and hurls himself headlong into unthinkable dangers, charming virtually everyone he meets along the way. He easily and readily adapts to situations that would throw most people completely off guard, and never backs down from any challenge. He's been to hell and back, and more or less shrugged it off. When (INTP) Sam comes up with a workable idea, Dean's first response isn't to debate it further or to make detailed plans, but rather to get moving on it. He's unsatisfied with staying in the background and always wants to be in the middle of the action.

Auxiliary Ti: Dean makes quick, objective decisions based on his own assessment of the facts at hand. Consistently impatient with long-winded conversation, he is adept at simplifying complicated discussions down to one or two basic precepts. This often takes the form of a jocular one-liner injected for a laugh, but which also serves to neatly sum everything up. In this regard, he's a fantastic example of the Ti mindset because he wants to get to the true essence of the issue quickly and not waste time asking questions of others or figuring out what the established rules are. In fact, I can't remember many times when he's followed "the rules" or outlined any sort of real plan vs. shooting from the hip and trusting his instincts, which to me rules Te (and thus, ESTJ as a type) completely out.

Tertiary Fe: Dean's drive for action belies a strong need to protect others. Although he rarely makes decisions based purely on emotion, he also isn't afraid to outwardly show concern and imbue his arguments with emotional persuasion. This is particularly true in his interactions with Sam, where he often works to overcome Sam's Ti-dom drive for reason above all else. Dean's sense of humor is the classic Ti/Fe arsenal of one-liners, often of the tasteless variety.

Inferior Ni: Dean's inferior function shows up most notably under stress, doubting himself and his actions which manifests in foreseeing "worst case" negative outcomes. It's often up to Sam to pull him out of the grip (using Ne) to help Dean change his perspective and look at the problem from a different angle.

The hilarity of so many people online typing Dean as an ESTJ (or worse, ESFJ :tongueclosed:)is an object lesson in how little the average internet goober knows about MBTI. He is the prototypical "charming action man" ESTP. One of the most obvious fictional characters for me to type, ever.

Dominant Se: Dean is engaged in the physical world for nearly every second of screen time. He eats like a pig, drinks like a fish and hurls himself headlong into unthinkable dangers, charming virtually everyone he meets along the way. He easily and readily adapts to situations that would throw most people completely off guard, and never backs down from any challenge. He's been to hell and back, and more or less shrugged it off. When (INTP) Sam comes up with a workable idea, Dean's first response isn't to debate it further or to make detailed plans, but rather to get moving on it. He's unsatisfied with staying in the background and always wants to be in the middle of the action.

Auxiliary Ti: Dean makes quick, objective decisions based on his own assessment of the facts at hand. Consistently impatient with long-winded conversation, he is adept at simplifying complicated discussions down to one or two basic precepts. This often takes the form of a jocular one-liner injected for a laugh, but which also serves to neatly sum everything up. In this regard, he's a fantastic example of the Ti mindset because he wants to get to the true essence of the issue quickly and not waste time asking questions of others or figuring out what the established rules are. In fact, I can't remember many times when he's followed "the rules" or outlined any sort of real plan vs. shooting from the hip and trusting his instincts, which to me rules Te (and thus, ESTJ as a type) completely out.

Tertiary Fe: Dean's drive for action belies a strong need to protect others. Although he rarely makes decisions based purely on emotion, he also isn't afraid to outwardly show concern and imbue his arguments with emotional persuasion. This is particularly true in his interactions with Sam, where he often works to overcome Sam's Ti-dom drive for reason above all else. Dean's sense of humor is the classic Ti/Fe arsenal of one-liners, often of the tasteless variety.

Inferior Ni: Dean's inferior function shows up most notably under stress, doubting himself and his actions which manifests in foreseeing "worst case" negative outcomes. It's often up to Sam to pull him out of the grip (using Ne) to help Dean change his perspective and look at the problem from a different angle.
Omg this is brilliant and spot on!! :clapping:

I was a little #shook by INTP Sam, but ESTP Dean is spot on. He's like 100% the male version of my ESTP bff. Both of them seem to enjoy regularly making decisions that terrify me.

He's been to hell and back, and more or less shrugged it off.
The number it did on his psyche was not to underestimate. He really would have needed someone to understand and call him out on it. Actively help him through it. Not that he would have had anyone see his anguish willingly. Let's say he tried to shrug it off.

@Happy Phantom Do you think Crowley is more of an ENTP or ENTJ? I have been thinking, and I'd say he acts more like an ENTP, but his motives are more ENTJ-ish.

The number it did on his psyche was not to underestimate. He really would have needed someone to understand and call him out on it. Actively help him through it. Not that he would have had anyone see his anguish willingly. Let's say he tried to shrug it off.

True. My perspective was that he handled it about as well as anyone reasonably could, but it certainly had more of an effect than he let on.

@Happy Phantom Do you think Crowley is more of an ENTP or ENTJ? I have been thinking, and I'd say he acts more like an ENTP, but his motives are more ENTJ-ish.

I'll defer to HP on this (she's watched this series just a bit more than I have :tonguewink:) but I tend to agree. He plays a long game to favor his own power and status (ENTJ) but does so in an impish, sometimes capricious manner (ENTP). He's sort of like Negan from TWD in this way, although I regard Negan as a more clear-cut ENTJ due to his overarching need for external order and structure.

:cry:

I see Crowley as an ENTP. He doesn’t really gaf about Hell, he just wants the title and he thinks demons are idiots and incompetent. Sounds ENTJ, but I still think ENTP. He’s not that much of a hard ass and he’s lazy. lol

:cry:

I see Crowley as an ENTP. He doesn’t really gaf about Hell, he just wants the title and he thinks demons are idiots and incompetent. Sounds ENTJ, but I still think ENTP. He’s not that much of a hard ass and he’s lazy. lol
Dammit, (and sorry for the deviation within the realm of references) that makes me feel as if the Evil Queen ripped my heart out and slowly started to squeeze. Not enough to turn it into dust, but just enough to make the suffering last.

Dammit, (and sorry for the deviation within the realm of references) that makes me feel as if the Evil Queen ripped my heart out and slowly started to squeeze. Not enough to turn it into dust, but just enough to make the suffering last.

Once Upon a Time <3

But yeah, I started crying partway through the clip...

@hush and @Ginny What type do you think Sam is? Abbadon? I think ESTJ.
Death: Hmm... Will need to think abput it.
Gabriel: Possibly INFJ
Michael: Not sure but he’s a good son!

Reactions: Free
Gabriel and Lucifer.

Gabriel cares about humans and Lucifer shows some emotion after killing his bro.

Last edited:
True. My perspective was that he handled it about as well as anyone reasonably could, but it certainly had more of an effect than he let on.
He poured his heart out to Sam then moved on.

I'll defer to HP on this (she's watched this series just a bit more than I have :tonguewink:) but I tend to agree. He plays a long game to favor his own power and status (ENTJ) but does so in an impish, sometimes capricious manner (ENTP). He's sort of like Negan from TWD in this way, although I regard Negan as a more clear-cut ENTJ due to his overarching need for external order and structure.
I practically know all of the scripts. :p
Crowley is witty and humorous, not intense like ENTJ Negan.

Last edited:
Chuck (God) and Dean. God is some sort of feeler.
I think Dean should have been tougher on Chuck.

Depressed teddy bear: INFP

John: ISTP/J He’s a loner and not extroverted. Man of few words and zero small talk.

Last edited:
@hush and @Ginny What type do you think Sam is? Abbadon? I think ESTJ.
Death: Hmm... Will need to think abput it.
Gabriel: Possibly INFJ
Michael: Not sure but he’s a good son!
Oi... that's a mean question. I haven't been watching SN since I know about this. I'd have to rewatch it (just like I'm doing with everything else). Especially season 10 is almost non-existent in my memory, and I haven't started on 11 yet.
But what I can say is that Gabriel has always been fun (a good sign for Fe-Ti axis), and that Sam's attitude has been really annoying at times.

Merely an impression I've got, but

Zachariah - EnTJ: business man of heaven, single-minded, big picture orientated (concerning the "big plan"), but creative in terms of making it come about, considers himself superior (to humans), he'd kill anything if it served the cause

Adam (the person everyone forgets, lol) - ISTJ: only cares about his mum (his only family), chooses to believe Zachariah "because they're angels", acts disillusioned but is naive due to lack of experience

What do you think?

I think Dean is an ESTP, Enneagram 6w7, that's probably why he comes across to some as an ESTJ or ESFJ.