Sugar/Sweets Addiction | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Sugar/Sweets Addiction

If you crave something sweet, have some raspberries. They are very low in sugar, and you can have more :D.
Also...really anything is okay in moderation. And when I mean "moderation", I don't mean every day. Maybe have a candy bar on the weekend, or a soda. Don't cut sweets out entirely or you will relapse, and it will be uggllllyyyy.

-Anna

If you crave something sweet, have some raspberries. They are very low in sugar, and you can have more :D.
Also...really anything is okay in moderation. And when I mean "moderation", I don't mean every day. Maybe have a candy bar on the weekend, or a soda. Don't cut sweets out entirely or you will relapse, and it will be uggllllyyyy.

-Anna

I think i'll make Sunday my "candy bar" since I just relapsed on a chocolate marshmallow smore. D: Ahhhh!

I have a whole new appreciation for people on a full on diet-- this is so hard. x3

The good thing is that I still am staying away from sugary drinks.

Reactions: slant
if you crave sweet foods, try eating more fruit - like prunes, really ripe kiwifruit or mangoes. i find that generally helps for me.

Last edited:
Theres already lots of great advice on this tread.
What I would add:

Try stevia- you can use it like you would sugar, cooking etc. Its great for regulating insulin and is calorie free. Powdered form is more popular, but i like the leaves- they have a much better taste. You can even buy a stevia herb plant.

Honey is full of sugar but also great for your health. Try using honey and maple syrup as replacements and but only in moderation.

Fruit is great, but also full of sugar. Try and limit yourself to 2-3 pieces a day. Rasberries, melon and others berries are your best bet, as they are lower in sugar and full of antioxidants. If you have fruit juice- make and consume fresh and straight away because fruit can rapidly loose its antioxidants and vitamins when its stored

Replace current bevarages with water, green tea, chamomile tea and lemon juice. Lemons are absolutey wonderful- you can make a diluted homemade lemonade - juice from 1-2 lemons, a litre of water, and a pinch of stevia or honey. Otherwise you can try drinking the lemon straight- I really like it but its an aquired taste. If you have it straight, rinse your mouth out after because while lemon is great for alkanising the body, its acidic to your teeth. Lemons are great for alkanising your body, for your digestion, full of vitamins, antioxidants and has antibacterial proberties.

Eat full fat- it will keep you fuller for longer. Most low fat products have added sugar to make the taste more appealing

Eat less dairy- dairy has a lot of sugar

Avoid any processed cereals, breads, pasta. Try looking for organic, wholegrain and wholemeal. Avoid any processed packaged bakery goods.

Experimenting with cooking yourself- that way you know exactly what goes into your food, and it can also be a lot of fun.

Try chia seeds- very energising and a great source of omega 3

Eat as many vegetables as you can. Vegetables may have sugar in them but there is nothing that is better for you than vegetables. Eat as many types as you can. Make sure your plate is two third vegetables. The other remaining third of your plate is for starch carbs like rice, pasta, bread, potatoes etc, and for meat, poultry of fish. Cut vegies up for snacks- eat with hommus, cottage cheese or yoghurt. MAke vegetable purees. Purees are the best and so delicious. Simply steam vegies and blend them- this brings out the natural sweetness in the vegetables. My favourites are cauliflower puree (so creamy), carrot puree, brocolli puree and pea puree. You can eat the puree as a serve of veg with you meals, use as a sauce, as a meal base, as a dip- thers no end to how you can use them. Have lots of vegetable soups.

Eat sweet potato- one of the superfoods full of all kinds of goodness. Plus its sweet. Experiment with making sweet potato or pumpkin desserts.

Eat lentils and chickpeas- full of goodness and protein

Avoid diet products like the plague- especialy anything with aspartame or saccharin. This stuff is bad and the people that make these products and support their existance should be put in jail.

Dont obsess over sugar. If youre having a really hard time- set a time in the future to indulge yourself- for example- I will avoid sugar today but treat myself to a chocolate tomorrow afternoon. And when tommorow afternoon comes, see if you can hold off. If you cant- go ahead and indulge. Appreciate, make the most of it and then get over it. And just because you have a slip up doesnt mean that you have failed or have the license to further indulge yourself.

If you eat dessert- eat it earlier in the day. Try to avoid any food for atleast 3 hours before you sleep. Try dark chocolate- so good.

Eat plenty of vegies, good quality protein (lentils, orgainc poultry, fish, eggs) and healthy fats. Fats keep you feeling satisfied for longer and are delicious. To use raw- try extra virgin olive oil, a bit of butter, avocados and for cooking - use coconut oil, macadamia and ricebran oil as these have a much higher smokepoint and dont oxidise dangerously like many polyunsaturated oils. Under no circumstances eat margerine- transfat is bad and should be criminal.

Distract yourself by doing enjoyable activities. Go to a different environment. Be social. Tell family and friends what youre trying to do and ask them to support you. Reward yourself when youve done well.

Excercise- anything enjoyable

Use spices such as cinnamon, cassia, cardomon, ginger, or nutmeg to flavour foods or drinks. Most of these spices are stimulating and delicious, and some are beneficial for control sugar cravings- particularly cassia and cinnamon. I love these in my tea and coffee.

Keep a food diary so you are aware of exacly what youre eating. See if you can find what times of the day you crave sugar the most. What are the antecedents? What emotions, activities, thoughts are involved? Is it particular environments or people that make it worse or better?

Throw sugary products and processed foods out. Restock your pantry with things that are good for you.

Try to make it a fun lifestyle change rather than seeing it as simply giving up an addiction. Food is awesome and made to be enjoyed and there are so many delicious healthy foods.

edit: I just wanted to add- You can do it! You've already done the most important part- which is thinking about it and starting. from now on its just a moment by moment, day by day process. Dont worry or stress about it- just be happy and it will all work out. Your body is a temple, it is like your own universe that you are responsible for. You are responsible for every cell within your body- make it a happy, healthy universe.

Last edited:
My wisdom tooth is infected because I ate too many sweet things. It hurts badly. Let this be an example for Mochi when she comes back lol. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT TOO MANY SWEETS.

I think i'll make Sunday my "candy bar" since I just relapsed on a chocolate marshmallow smore. D: Ahhhh!

I have a whole new appreciation for people on a full on diet-- this is so hard. x3

The good thing is that I still am staying away from sugary drinks.

If you keep at it your taste buds will adjust to your new diet. I remember trying a coke and almost gagged it was so sweet. I promptly threw it away!

-Anna

Sweets were never my thing. I usually water fruit juices down to 25j/75w. Soda is gross unless I'm feeling nostalgic.

Salts and spices are my vice. I need flavor in my food.