[INFJ] Success & Failure as a Production Manager

wiredandwound

Community Member
Jul 16, 2019
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
Loyalist
I'd like to start a series of threads about my experiences as an INFJ. I hope that these will initiate constructive conversation towards self improvement to those of our nature.

I will not be using BLOG format, but BULLET-POINTs to allow for the expediency of consumption.

Success & Failure as a Production Manager:

Successes
  • Production Management requires an exceptional talent for Intuition - This is a boon for INFJs, since it directly associated with our talents.
  • PM is extremely fluid in respect to time and resource management - There is no natural/terrestrial way to determine when and what might happen at any given minute.
  • It requires the ability to see beyond the immediate, and to look far into the transcendental trends of the environments of both, corporate/customer demands, and human behaviors.
  • I found that this job was very satisfying and empowering to my self-esteem.
  • This role inspired me to make many successful implementations that helped the company to move towards improvements in the accuracies of materials acquisitions and workflow.
  • I was awarded many acalations in my performance.
Failures

• Most employers cannot understand the "WHY" in your decision making. Most employers rely on traditional/"proven" methods, that they, themselves, have derived from their successful venture (they fear what they don't understand).
  • I was told many times that "I didn't know, what I didn't even know" - this is extremely insulting to INFJs for obvious reasons (can you already hear the "door slamming").
  • PM requires the deep respect from other departments related to materials acquisitions and sales. Since these other departments are best supported by extroverts and narcissist, this is always an uphill battle.
  • I found it very difficult to get the respect from CEOs and Sales
  • I found that I was always being restricted in problem solving solutions by other departments.
  • I was being deliberately excluded from meetings, and left in the dark till it was too late to respond (PM being extremely time-sensitive).

I hope that this will be enlightening and inspiring. Please let me know if you like this type of topic and format.

I'd like to start a series of threads about my experiences as an INFJ. I hope that these will initiate constructive conversation towards self improvement to those of our nature.

I will not be using BLOG format, but BULLET-POINTs to allow for the expediency of consumption.

Success & Failure as a Production Manager:

Successes
  • Production Management requires an exceptional talent for Intuition - This is a boon for INFJs, since it directly associated with our talents.
  • PM is extremely fluid in respect to time and resource management - There is no natural/terrestrial way to determine when and what might happen at any given minute.
  • It requires the ability to see beyond the immediate, and to look far into the transcendental trends of the environments of both, corporate/customer demands, and human behaviors.
  • I found that this job was very satisfying and empowering to my self-esteem.
  • This role inspired me to make many successful implementations that helped the company to move towards improvements in the accuracies of materials acquisitions and workflow.
  • I was awarded many acalations in my performance.
Failures

• Most employers cannot understand the "WHY" in your decision making. Most employers rely on traditional/"proven" methods, that they, themselves, have derived from their successful venture (they fear what they don't understand).
  • I was told many times that "I didn't know, what I didn't even know" - this is extremely insulting to INFJs for obvious reasons (can you already hear the "door slamming").
  • PM requires the deep respect from other departments related to materials acquisitions and sales. Since these other departments are best supported by extroverts and narcissist, this is always an uphill battle.
  • I found it very difficult to get the respect from CEOs and Sales
  • I found that I was always being restricted in problem solving solutions by other departments.
  • I was being deliberately excluded from meetings, and left in the dark till it was too late to respond (PM being extremely time-sensitive).

I hope that this will be enlightening and inspiring. Please let me know if you like this type of topic and format.

Can relate although I wasn't a Production Manager, I was an Office Manager. I find that it is true as stated when being in management it does take on the ability to go beyond the immediate thoughts and dive into the core of all aspects of stakeholders.

Being a manager you're pretty much caught in the middle between upper level management (executives and such) and lower level employees. It is a challenge to keep all levels of employment happy and in line.

Can relate although I wasn't a Production Manager, I was an Office Manager. I find that it is true as stated when being in management it does take on the ability to go beyond the immediate thoughts and dive into the core of all aspects of stakeholders.

Being a manager you're pretty much caught in the middle between upper level management (executives and such) and lower level employees. It is a challenge to keep all levels of employment happy and in line.
After writing this it became clear to me that I need to improve my ability to convey my perspectives in a way that the executives could understand. I still do not know how do do this.

I know that the executives are heavily vested in the company and have every right to be anxious of things that they do not understand.

It became clear to me that even though I was given many accolades for performance, I was never able to convince them that my strategy was not "fly by night" or "dumb luck", which of course, scares the ever living hell out of them.

After writing this it became clear to me that I need to improve my ability to convey my perspectives in a way that the executives could understand. I still do not know how do do this.

I know that the executives are heavily vested in the company and have every right to be anxious of things that they do not understand.

It became clear to me that even though I was given many accolades for performance, I was never able to convince them that my strategy was not "fly by night" or "dumb luck", which of course, scares the ever living hell out of them.

Oh yes, what they do not know or have very little oversee they become uneasy. Thus, micromanaging pursues or constant monitoring happens.

One thing I've learned is to just give the executives what they want and then eventually tell them how doing things another way can be better. And when that happens, always bring more positives and advantages for persuasion and effectiveness.

Oh yes, what they do not know or have very little oversee they become uneasy. Thus, micromanaging pursues or constant monitoring happens.

One thing I've learned is to just give the executives what they want and then eventually tell them how doing things another way can be better. And when that happens, always bring more positives and advantages for persuasion and effectiveness.
Very well said.

Something that I've been struggling with is getting to that point where I have a window to express my strategies.

It has been very difficult for me to convince the employer that I am "on board" with their own strategies. In a perfect world, people do the exact thing that they are told, but in reality, people do what needs to be done and then "silver-tongue it" to the employer to reassure them, that it was their strategy the whole time. I've been around enough to know how the "golden-boys" achieve respect, and I have witnessed it every working day of my life.

It sounds so simple to just copy this strategy for success, but I have found it very difficult to overcome myself in this regard. It isn't that I don't know how to copy the "golden-boy" strategy, but I find myself becoming tormented to the point that it comes home with me. I've tried it, and the result was worse. I became a monster, and hated myself.

Reactions: Will and Daustus