Tin Man

"a respectable amount of screaming"
Jun 21, 2012
Right behind you...
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
N
So which do you think is more important, cultivating one's strengths or overcoming one's weaknesses. I know balancing the two is the ideal, but sometimes one must take precedence over the other. Sometimes improving natural abilities means accepting your limitations. Or taking the time to master a shortcoming can lead to talents going unnurtured.

I came across an article which lead me to thinking on this. It interviewed two mothers who had autistic children and how approached they their child's autism. One choose to support her son's abilities, focus on what he could do well and nurture them. Rather than have him endure a lunch room where the noise and chaos caused him pain, he could spend that time working on computers instead.

Whereas the other mother was saw how son's difficulty with social situations and his over-sensitivity could mark as "weird" or "different" throughout life . In the above example, she would have had him get used to the noise and confusion as such things would reoccur often in his life. Best learn to tolerate and overcome them now, than running away. But focusing so much on his deficits meant he would have little time to work on his strengths.

Both make good points, and it's difficult to say which approach is better. Like I said, finding balance is key, but when you can't which should be the primary focus?

Some weaknesses we simply cannot be rid of, nor avoid them when they show up to the party. I prefer to consolidate my strengths, particularly if I am writing something which requires a heavy load of analysis and intellectual capacity. By working on perfecting the things I know I can do well, I am able to provide myself with enough confidence so as to ignore the idiosyncrasies which I used to think would hold me back. I'm still working on my degree and my major weakness appears to be procrastination, but my strength involves being able to complete a complicated and challenging project within a short space of time under almost zero pressure. The more I realise how much I can put this strength to good use, the more help it will do than to hinder myself by focusing on the weaknesses.

I think in the case of autism, nurturing strengths is more worthwhile than literally torturing some one with stimuli. It won't ever work. It's inhumane. Autistic people are different and it's OK. But since you brought up autism and abilities, this blog (click on the babbles link to read) is really eye-opening (and maybe a bit off topic, but still worth reading, I think).

Last edited:
Some weaknesses we simply cannot be rid of, nor avoid them when they show up to the party. I prefer to consolidate my strengths, particularly if I am writing something which requires a heavy load of analysis and intellectual capacity. By working on perfecting the things I know I can do well, I am able to provide myself with enough confidence so as to ignore the idiosyncrasies which I used to think would hold me back. I'm still working on my degree and my major weakness appears to be procrastination, but my strength involves being able to complete a complicated and challenging project within a short space of time under almost zero pressure. The more I realise how much I can put this strength to good use, the more help it will do than to hinder myself by focusing on the weaknesses.

Some very good points. Working on your strengths in order to compensate for the weaknesses. Using such a tactic, you're not really avoiding the deficit, but working around it.

I think in the case of autism, nurturing strengths is more worthwhile than literally torturing some one with stimuli. It won't ever work. It's inhumane. Autistic people are different and it's OK. But since you brought up autism and abilities, this blog (click on the babbles link to read) is really eye-opening (and maybe a bit off topic, but still worth reading, I think).

True, but the fact is that the world can be a very chaotic place. Isn't it better to try and acclimatize to that as you'll never completely avoid it. I know that the autistic brain is different, but the fact is all our brains are better at some tasks than others. Say you're terrible with computers, but a part of your job requires you to have a practical knowledge of them. And otherwise the job is perfect for you. Even though you might find working with computers brain destroying, you still need to learn how to use them to keep your job.

Cultivating strengths.

I see weakness as a deficit of strength, rather than some actual negative power. Weaknesses are not so much as overcome, as the ability, which is weak, is strengthened.

The answer depends on how bad one's weaknesses are.

So which do you think is more important, cultivating one's strengths or overcoming one's weaknesses.

If you look at the scientific research in regards to this, cultivating strengths is unequivocally the correct way to go

Both make good points, and it's difficult to say which approach is better. Like I said, finding balance is key, but when you can't which should be the primary focus?

Again, from a scientific standpoint (which has been fairly well researched and documented), focusing on your strengths will get you more places and more satisfaction in life than spending time fooling around with what you suck at. You will always suck at what you suck at. You could spend your whole life trying to become "average" or you can figure out how to become the best at what you are already good at.

Following the path of least resistance with regards to personal development and simply making circumstances work for you in your own way leads to greater success

I made a nice graph in order to illustrate how simple it is

attachment.php

Attachments

• Learning1.jpg
    Learning1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Xroads
To me, cultivating ones strengths and overcoming ones weaknesses are one in the same. When I cultivate a strength I will invariably come upon one or more of my own weaknesses, therefore if I want to continue cultivating a particular strength I will at some point need to overcome any weakness I encounter.

I don't see a distinction, these are just different points along the same path. I mean, you can cultivate a strength and then stop when you get to whatever weakness you encounter. If you stop at the weakness you are no longer cultivating a strength.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, very often intermingled. Strengths can hide behind weaknesses and weaknesses can hide behind strengths. Weakness can be just as beautiful as strength but it takes embracing both to see that. We're all a conglomeration of strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes our greatest strength lies behind our greatest weakness.

Some weaknesses are never fully overcome. In this case people can adapt. Sometimes people have to overcome their strengths and cultivate their weakness. I don't think I answered your question but that's my take on it anyway.

I think it depends on what your personal motivation/ambitions are for focusing on one over the other.

At various points in my life, I will switch from one to the other - currently I'm focusing very much on my weaknesses.

If you look at the scientific research in regards to this, cultivating strengths is unequivocally the correct way to go

Again, from a scientific standpoint (which has been fairly well researched and documented), focusing on your strengths will get you more places and more satisfaction in life than spending time fooling around with what you suck at. You will always suck at what you suck at. You could spend your whole life trying to become "average" or you can figure out how to become the best at what you are already good at.

Following the path of least resistance with regards to personal development and simply making circumstances work for you in your own way leads to greater success

I made a nice graph in order to illustrate how simple it is

attachment.php

Hm, you may be right. I'm probably overthinking it. Maybe it's best to focus on what you're good at, unless a weakness is directly interfering with your life.

That said I'm not sure if I should take advice from someone whose suckiness level is higher than mine, which the chart clearly demonstrates.

To me, cultivating ones strengths and overcoming ones weaknesses are one in the same. When I cultivate a strength I will invariably come upon one or more of my own weaknesses, therefore if I want to continue cultivating a particular strength I will at some point need to overcome any weakness I encounter.

I don't see a distinction, these are just different points along the same path. I mean, you can cultivate a strength and then stop when you get to whatever weakness you encounter. If you stop at the weakness you are no longer cultivating a strength.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, very often intermingled. Strengths can hide behind weaknesses and weaknesses can hide behind strengths. Weakness can be just as beautiful as strength but it takes embracing both to see that. We're all a conglomeration of strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes our greatest strength lies behind our greatest weakness.

Some weaknesses are never fully overcome. In this case people can adapt. Sometimes people have to overcome their strengths and cultivate their weakness. I don't think I answered your question but that's my take on it anyway.

Yes, but sometimes strengths and weaknesses are in opposition to one another. Say you've been physically unfit for most of your life and want to change this, but it'll take time away from what you're good at, which might be something that requires hours of sitting in front of a computer. In order to cultivate the weakness you could be neglecting a key strengths.

I think it depends on what your personal motivation/ambitions are for focusing on one over the other.

At various points in my life, I will switch from one to the other - currently I'm focusing very much on my weaknesses.

Yeah, I suppose it can depend where you are in life. If a new job requires you to overcome a weakness, then that's what you've got to focus on. Maybe it's best to take it as it comes, hone your strengths, but be ready to focus on a weakness when needed.

Both are important but there's only so far one can go with weaknesses before one just begins to disrespect one's self, because flaws are human. There's always going to be someone itching to tell one that one is a crappy person, they can go to blazes.

That said I'm not sure if I should take advice from someone whose suckiness level is higher than mine, which the chart clearly demonstrates.

Yea, never do that. Don't get dragged down by suck.

So which do you think is more important, cultivating one's strengths or overcoming one's weaknesses. I know balancing the two is the ideal, but sometimes one must take precedence over the other. Sometimes improving natural abilities means accepting your limitations. Or taking the time to master a shortcoming can lead to talents going unnurtured.

I think it depends. Early on, for me, there was too much emphasis on social weaknesses, which only lead to poor self esteem. Also, more emphasis is given to strengths publicly valued by society. There are aspects of our personality which are important for us to appreciate. These strengths need to be developed without the stress of social expectations. Sometimes, this means moving away from an environment, to allow ourselves some personal growth and development. However, challenges in differing environments can help to recognize weaknesses, and learn how to manage them effectively. Focusing excessively on weaknesses may be not be very helpful in building confidence while learning more about and acknowledging the potential for strength development can develop better belief in our abilities. But this can be balanced with recognition of areas which may need improvement.

Another aspect to consider, is that what's perceived as a strength may be perceived as a weakness depending on the person or situation observing it. And what's viewed as a flaw or weakness could be a positive.

For example, many are taught to hate their introversion early on, believing it is a sign of shyness, emotional problems, and antisocial behavior. Understanding and appreciation of this trait has allowed many people to embrace who they are, appreciate their unique traits, while learning how to develop other areas of their personality.

Yes, but sometimes strengths and weaknesses are in opposition to one another. Say you've been physically unfit for most of your life and want to change this, but it'll take time away from what you're good at, which might be something that requires hours of sitting in front of a computer. In order to cultivate the weakness you could be neglecting a key strengths

If that particular scenario were before me, I would spend 5 minutes a day doing something to develop physical fitness. Once those five minutes become easy, then I would do ten minutes, and so on and so forth until I reach a level of comfort about how I am feeling about the situation. Then I would re-evaluate adjust my plan if necessary and take it from there until I reached a balance I was comfortable with.

I think there's a strong connection between our strengths and weaknesses. I may even go as far as to say that each of our strengths is a weakness depending upon how we use it, and vice versa. So to answer your question, I don't think it's something we can or should try to isolate. The two can be done simultaneously and productively. It's more a matter of figuring out how to do that. I don't think it's as useful to look at cultivating strengths or overcoming weaknesses as independent pieces, as they are quite related. It's an interesting topic that I've been pondering on quite a bit lately, so I'm glad I came across this thread. It's interesting to think about the two and their interplay.