Streaming music / modem | INFJ Forum

Streaming music / modem

Discussion in 'Computer Science' started by the, Jan 6, 2012.

Share This Page

More threads by the
  1. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Has anyone ever heard of a way to hook an external HD up to a modem in such a way as to make the information on the HD available to anyone with access to the network? How is this done exactly?

Im thinking that I do not want to be running a separate computer (and essentially just sharing files between computers) while I am doing this because I dont want to waste too much electricity, although I have one at my disposal if I need it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Korg

Korg ▄ ▄

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    Do you want to stream the music? Or just have someone else be able to access your MP3 files directly?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I want everyone who can connect to my modem to be able to access the file. Im not trying to broadcast it in a P2P fashion. Basically me and my GF can access the drive.

So far I have found something called a NAS that might work.

#3 the, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. J. Cardigan

J. Cardigan Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxx
    There are routers that have a feature where you can plug an external hard drive into a USB port on the router and it allows sharing of whatever is on the drive. I haven't used any of them so I can't comment on that.

I used to have a FreeNAS setup (junk computer I had with FreeNAS installed) and it worked fine for awhile, but something either got screwed up on the bootloader or a partition table because it eventually stopped functioning. My Unix-fu was/is not good enough to fix so I just dismantled the thing and haven't set up anything like it since. It was also an enormous pain in the ass but really, really nice to have.

Long story short: if you are willing to part with $200-300+, get a NAS. If you have an external hard drive and want to just plug it up to something and make it work, get one of those routers I was mentioning. If you are really good with computers, sadistic, and possibly insane, try out FreeNAS or some derivative.

Edit: Hahahaha oh man am I late to this party.