Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
The US ambassador to the UN has cried shame on Russia for ending hostilities in Aleppo, driving out US sponsored militants. Tonight, the city is back under the control of the Syrian government.

(The following news article focuses on the UN council exchange between the US and Russian officials - I lol'd when Churkin called Power Mother Teresa).
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...-russia-assad-over-aleppo/8119236?pfmredir=sm

Why should the US be so peeved that fighting has ended, that the rebels are being given safe passage, and that their plans to try and overthrow the Syrian government have been dealt a major, if not definitive set-back?

This is going to allow US forces to withdraw more quickly, and allow everyone to focus more on taking ISIS out. There's no good track record of removing one regime, and maintaining stability in the Middle East, so why is the US so persistent about it?

I'll bet Trump will leave Syria well alone, once ISIS is out.

Reactions: Gust
I mean, as far as the first part goes, you kinda answered your own question, but I'd grant you that given Iraq, we ought to be taking a hard look at whether it's a good idea to kick Assad out. I think that in the end it wouldn't have ended as badly, myself, because we wouldn't be purging large part of the military with the government, necessarily. Also, the metaphorical crows gathering that were Al-Qaeda in Iraq now take the form of the large number of terrorist groups already in Syria--we're not going to signal weakness any more than it's already been signaled over there. So some of the key reasons for problems aren't necessarily present here.

The US ambassador to the UN has cried shame on Russia for ending hostilities in Aleppo, driving out US sponsored militants. Tonight, the city is back under the control of the Syrian government.

(The following news article focuses on the UN council exchange between the US and Russian officials - I lol'd when Churkin called Power Mother Teresa).
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...-russia-assad-over-aleppo/8119236?pfmredir=sm

Why should the US be so peeved that fighting has ended, that the rebels are being given safe passage, and that their plans to try and overthrow the Syrian government have been dealt a major, if not definitive set-back?

This is going to allow US forces to withdraw more quickly, and allow everyone to focus more on taking ISIS out. There's no good track record of removing one regime, and maintaining stability in the Middle East, so why is the US so persistent about it?

I'll bet Trump will leave Syria well alone, once ISIS is out.
Good thing they finally have peace...
Obama can be thanked for that situation. What, with us funding ISIS and all.
God bless the people of Syria, they've had a rough few years.
Let's hope they'll have a better 2017, with less US-backed terrorism efforts.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila