Seeing therapist, MBTI and few questions | INFJ Forum

Seeing therapist, MBTI and few questions

Jana

Searching...
Apr 18, 2009
MBTI
infj
Before few months I started to se therapist because of my anxiety attacks. She is cognitive-behaviroal. She helped me, I handle my anxiety muche better, I think that my Ti made great work. Analytical approach can be very destressing when it comes to "worst case scenarios" in my head (aka. when Ni+Fe gone really bad:). We never spoke about MBTI. Lately, I started to belive her, so I told her some issues that bugged me for years, maybe even some issues that probably caused my anxiety and times of depressive episodes. Trerapist really tried to guide me to some practical solutions, but here is the catch, somehow that solution seams wrong. From reasonable point of view she could be right, but....it does not seam right. So my questions and thoughts...feel free to join discussion..

1. Maybe I work again myself, because I refuse to try her sugestions...
2. I suspect she is S type, because I see that she cannot understand some of my very NF problems I have. Plus, sometimes I feel bad because I can't think in practical way. I am aware that sometimes I make problem where it should not be, but MBTI tought me that we all function different. Is it possible that therapist unaware of MBTI can have narrowed vision of possible sugestions. What worked for someone else, maybe won't work for me, and in the other way as well.?
3. Am I simpy refuse to change?
4. Your experiences?

Change is a tricky business. The mind will not cooperate, but action has always helped me──no matter how inconsistent.

I almost want to quote to you your own motto: "Your time will come. You will face the same evil, and you will defeat it." Perhaps this belief will carry you through.

Your therapist can only open your mind to the possibility of what your root problem is, not "tell" you what it is. Your therapist is basically giving you new strategies for coping, but in a sense it's like putting a band-aid over a wet wound. You may be able to acknowledge your major problem areas, but you will be chasing your tail until you address the REAL problem.

Good luck to you. :)

Before few months I started to se therapist because of my anxiety attacks. She is cognitive-behaviroal. She helped me, I handle my anxiety muche better, I think that my Ti made great work. Analytical approach can be very destressing when it comes to "worst case scenarios" in my head (aka. when Ni+Fe gone really bad:). We never spoke about MBTI. Lately, I started to belive her, so I told her some issues that bugged me for years, maybe even some issues that probably caused my anxiety and times of depressive episodes. Trerapist really tried to guide me to some practical solutions, but here is the catch, somehow that solution seams wrong. From reasonable point of view she could be right, but....it does not seam right. So my questions and thoughts...feel free to join discussion..

1. Maybe I work again myself, because I refuse to try her sugestions...
2. I suspect she is S type, because I see that she cannot understand some of my very NF problems I have. Plus, sometimes I feel bad because I can't think in practical way. I am aware that sometimes I make problem where it should not be, but MBTI tought me that we all function different. Is it possible that therapist unaware of MBTI can have narrowed vision of possible sugestions. What worked for someone else, maybe won't work for me, and in the other way as well.?
3. Am I simpy refuse to change?
4. Your experiences?

I agree with what you said that different approaches work for different people... If her suggestion is something that is making you feel uncomfortable, maybe you could talk to her about it... Ask her if there is another solution you could come up with together that would appeal to you, maybe she would understand. That being said, you could also consider another therapist if things aren't working or if you feel you need another approach- sometimes it's not the particular counselor but rather just finding a right fit.

Btw I'm glad things are taking a step in the right direction for you. :hug: