Se versus Ni | INFJ Forum

Se versus Ni

djarendee

Jul 26, 2012
MBTI
ESTP SLE-Ti
Enneagram
8w7 Sx/So
I had an interesting conversation the other day with an ENFJ friend of mine. We were talking about Ni vs Se.

Essentially, Ni users view time as a flowing ribbon of events. one continual sequence. For this reason they tend to have one big picture goal that they are trying to accomplish in their life.

Se users, meanwhile, view life as a series of episodes, or in my case, stepping stones.

This manifests when holding the steering wheel. I tend to turn the steering wheel in abrupt gusty calculated angles, while Ni users would have a more legato, smooth, transition.

So Ni users would appreciate an Se user's ability to separate time into many different segments. Essentially helping them live life to the fullest.

Meanwhile, Se users appreciate Ni user's big picture sense, as it gives Se users a sense of direction and purpose to all their little tiny goals.

This manifests when holding the steering wheel. I tend to turn the steering wheel in abrupt gusty calculated angles, while Ni users would have a more legato, smooth, transition.
I try to make very smooth turns, but so does my ISFJ friend, and she uses Si.

Se users, meanwhile, view life as a series of episodes, or in my case, stepping stones.
In socionics this is attributed to static types which in MBTI terms are IxxPs and ExxPs. It's not a function of Si/Se but rather Je vs Ji. Any type dominant or auxiliary in Je, Fe or Te, will see a smooth transition of events. Other types dominant or auxiliary in Ji like Ti and Fi will see these abrupt changes. You see it as abrupt phase changes because you are ExxP type.

STATICS | DYNAMICS (Source)

Statics (in MBTI terms IxxP and ExxP, in socionics terms Ij and Ep):
* Statics view reality as sets of episodes, scenes, pictures. The consciousness of a Static type is oriented towards perceiving these separate, individual states, and not as continuous flows of changes. [example]
* When statics give descriptions of events, they are inclined to generalize the event itself and treat that event as just another event among similar events (" I usually celebrate New year...").
* In stories by Statics there is usually one main character who is the central focus of the story; this almost never changes in the course of the story.
* In stories of Statics descriptions of states dominate over descriptions of actions, flow of events. In addition to this, transition from one state to another is not continuous but rather jumps from one state to another.
* Lexicon: frequent usage of "to be" as a catenative verb ("to become" "to appear to be"), frequent use of impersonal proposals with modal verbs ("to want", "to can"; "it is possible to make" instead of "I will make"), usage of no-verb constructions.

Dynamics (in MBTI terms IxxJ and ExxJ, in socionics terms Ip and Ej):
* For Dynamic types, events are viewed as a continuous sequence, which is not fragmented into separate episodes. The consciousness of a Dynamic type is oriented towards perceiving continuous flows of changes as opposed to discrete states.
* When describing an event Dynamics are not inclined to generalize and describe the concrete event that occured ("Last New year I went to..."). Through their descriptions one gets the impression that the Dynamics are at the center of the event that they are describing, they have been "drawn into it".
* In stories by Dynamics usually all characters at some point become protagonist, assume a central role; this role may even be given to inanimate objects.
* In stories of dynamics descriptions of processes dominate (that which is occurring, transpiring, going on, rather than something that has already occurred).
* Lexicon: they use verbs of action which do not have a direct object ("went", "made", "brought", "settle", "cheered themselves", "cried a little"). In their stories they use many semantic verbs which express actions of the storyteller and other characters in the story and interaction between all of them.

Notes:
We can draw an analogy to grammatical construction of sentences. The difference between Static and Dynamic speech is analogous to the difference between different kinds of verbs in Russian: static's speech corresponds to verbs of perfect (certain past) kind ("I have made"), and dynamic's speech to verbs of imperfect (not certain past) kind ("I did"). In English language Static speech corresponds to simple (Indefinite) tenses and dynamic to long (Continuous) tenses.
It is possible to draw another more technical analogy: modern digital cameras can save their contents in two different ways: they can either save them as segments or record a digital video. In a similar way the surrounding reality is fixed in the human mind: Statics—as separate packets ("photographs"), Dynamics—as a continuous "video".

Examples:
Statics: "During New Year I am exhausted" "It would be desirable to conduct the New Year..." "It was sad (boring, interesting)" "I stayed at home" "We were on a trip" "This holiday was better in comparison to the previous one"
Dynamics: "The Christmas tree smells nice" "The house is filled with holiday spirit" "This New Year they drove to the ski area where they skied all day long" "We emptied the whole bottle" "We gathered together, sang songs, celebrated" "In the New year I expect a miracle... but am inevitably greeted by disappointment".

Last edited:
[MENTION=5673]Lexika[/MENTION] Your ISFJ buddy has Ni, too. :)