Saw 3D: The Final Chapter

Detective Conan

Doesn't Cast Shadows
Jun 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
So today I went and saw the latest installment to the Saw franchise. I also bit the 3D bullet for the first (and last) time, just for this movie. In terms of 3D, I wasn't at all impressed with it and still see the whole thing as a gimmick. As you'd expect from a 3D horror film and gorefest, Saw 8 in 3D features blood and guts galore flying toward you, as well the standard gimmicky 3D shots that show off the fact you're watching a film in 3D (which I don't like because the gimmick is just as noticeable in the 2D version). The 3D was much better than the first 3D movie I saw, but that was when the 3D glasses used the blue and red lenses to produce the effect. It was a pleasant change not to have these obscure colors present during the film, however the intense 3D sequence seemed to have an odd glare/reflection about them. That might be because I wear glasses; I honestly couldn't say.

My brief summary of the plot is in spoiler tags because it does have some minor plot spoilers from this and other Saw movies. You've been warned.
In traditional Saw fashion, the movie opens with a recap of the events from the previous Saw installment (where Jill Tuck, the original Jigsaw's wife, tries to kill former Detective Hoffman using one of Jigsaw's traps, but fails miserably), as well as some flashbacks from other Saw films, mostly the first installment. Throughout the movie, much of the story is revealed through flashbacks; however, to me at least, this movie didn't abuse flashbacks nearly as much as any other installment to the series. Viewers also get to see many of the survivors from Jigsaw's previous traps make a return in this installment, including one supposed survivor who writes a book about his experience, Bobby Dagen, and the original survivor from the first installment. Bobby hosts self-help sessions for Jigsaw survivors and has apparently made a pretty penny from his book through sales and television spots. What Bobby doesn't realize is that Jigsaw doesn't take too kindly to liars. Luckily for Bobby (and us), Jigsaw gives Bobby a chance to make an honest man of himself and another game ensues.

In the background of the game, the story also places some focus on the police efforts to apprehend Hoffman before he can kill again.

Personally, and I love the Saw series, I thought this installment was pretty good. There was plenty of gore to be had, and the story keeps things interesting. It also presents some dark allusions to the real world, which I find to be humorous, and it doesn't feel like the traps are repeats from previous Saw entries (then again, that doesn't happen often anyway, although the headgear trap is obviously a series favorite). I have a strange feeling in the back of my mind that this movie is going to end up like Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, which spawned several sequels and a spin-off despite being "the final chapter." The ending didn't help quell my thoughts on that, either. However, at the same time, after 8 movies I can see the series closing itself for the sheer fact of the franchise's size.

The bottom line: If you're a fan of the SAW series or a fan of lots of violence and gore, this is a must-see movie. On the flipside, if you dislike the SAW series or dislike gore, then you can safely pass on this one (like you likely have with the last 7 movies).