Recommend Clubs or Organizations? | INFJ Forum

Recommend Clubs or Organizations?

Final

Regular Poster
Nov 24, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
So...I'm looking for clubs or organizations (preferably volunteer or service organizations) to join. Anyone in any that they truly enjoy?

To elaborate, I'm finally able to talk with strangers and make friends. In addition, I've noticed that, the longer people are around me and the more we interact, the more people like me, even that one male ESTP coworker who thought my arrival was God's punishment for his sins. It's a remarkable process to watch.

So, obviously, I should seek out environments that play to this strength.

...however, I recently tried to join a fraternity. A service fraternity. Founded on Boy Scouts' principles. Sounds great, right? Well, they wanted me to memorize a bunch of crap and take a test to get in; I told them it was bullshit: Give me a story, and I'll remember your history. It uh...didn't work out too well.

Nonetheless, even though I rarely spoke, something definitely happened on an interpersonal level with the members. It's kinda weird. Weird in a Doctor Who way.

The experience, along with a previous job, made me realize that second paragraph above. Consequently, I'm looking for organizations that other INFJs (and friends) enjoy.

I'm currently a member of the local Ruritan; it's a nice volunteer organization. I also help tutor at-risk youth through my church. It's really rewarding and I look forward to it, but these clubs aren't the places to make friends my age >_>

In college, I joined the Sci-Fi/Role Playing clubs and NORML...

Reactions: Nixie
I think that in general your best bet is to become involved in a religious organization that does charity. If you are going to college, there are many of these kinds of organizations. If you are Catholic, there is the Newman Club; if you are Jewish there is Hillel. The reason I suggest religious groups in particular is because the charitable works are not their main reason for being -- they care about the quality of life in general, including the lives of those in the group. Thus, they have lots of social events as well as organized service to the community.

What an interesting post! My experience with joining clubs/organizations has always been best when it has been with a group of people who also enjoy some hobby I am intensely interested in. Sometimes religious-based groups work out well, if the people happen to be nice.

My experience with fraternities and sororities is that I found them creepy, because they won't like you or be your friend unless you dress, talk and behave exactly like them, and give them money. Too much like brainwashing for my taste, and I'd prefer not to have to buy friendship and I like diversity. That is just my opinion, however. The groups that have worked out best for me have been service-related groups focused on a hobby I am passionately interested in or a skill I have.

Example: you adore cooking? Then it may be good to join a group that cooks for people on a volunteer basis... You really wind up meeting like-minded people your own age that you can actually tolerate/talk to, and it doesn't suck. Usually. :)

So...I'm looking for clubs or organizations (preferably volunteer or service organizations) to join. Anyone in any that they truly enjoy?

To elaborate, I'm finally able to talk with strangers and make friends. In addition, I've noticed that, the longer people are around me and the more we interact, the more people like me, even that one male ESTP coworker who thought my arrival was God's punishment for his sins. It's a remarkable process to watch.

So, obviously, I should seek out environments that play to this strength.

...however, I recently tried to join a fraternity. A service fraternity. Founded on Boy Scouts' principles. Sounds great, right? Well, they wanted me to memorize a bunch of crap and take a test to get in; I told them it was bullshit: Give me a story, and I'll remember your history. It uh...didn't work out too well.

Nonetheless, even though I rarely spoke, something definitely happened on an interpersonal level with the members. It's kinda weird. Weird in a Doctor Who way.

The experience, along with a previous job, made me realize that second paragraph above. Consequently, I'm looking for organizations that other INFJs (and friends) enjoy.

I'm currently a member of the local Ruritan; it's a nice volunteer organization. I also help tutor at-risk youth through my church. It's really rewarding and I look forward to it, but these clubs aren't the places to make friends my age >_>

I work for the Hands On Network and they're a great service to connect volunteers to opportunities. They're #1 priority is the volunteer so they make sure you have a good experience. They're national so they probably have some sort of presence where you are. Google them!

Thanks, y'all! Now I just have to find these groups in my area >_>

I agree with staying involved in regular hobby groups, because for example, I take a long time to make friends (an INFJ thing?). If I join a religious-based group and depend on their activities, I tend to be too intimately involved with people but then disagree with their approach to life, and then I've wasted my time building rapport with people there. My hobbies and interests don't change very much, so it's much easier to build friendships that way, especially as a male. And if change my hobbies or decide I don't like an entire group of friends, I can always continue my hobby alone and find other people/groups with similar interests in the meantime.