Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
[h=2]Interesting article. Thoughts?

Rapper's Brain In Flow
[/h]
Posted on 14:59 by Alnia Crist with 18 comments

Rapper's Brain In Flow, Want to know more about the neuroscience of creativity? The best thing to study may be a rapper’s brain in the middle of a flow.

A new video from Now This Is News dives into the science behind freestyle rap.

“The secret to understanding the neuroscience of creativity just might be freestyle rap … Freestyle rap has been a great boon for researchers who are trying to learn what happens in the brain when people are being creative.” Reported... Inquister...

The video states that brain imaging has been used to study memories and emotions but researchers have had a hard time finding the proper subject to study spontaneous creativity.Enter freestyle rap. Studying a rapper’s brain in flow has led to some interesting discoveries.

The video says:

“When freestyling, rappers enter the awesomely named ‘flow state.’ During flow, the part of the brain that deals with self-reflection and morality kicks into high gear while the part of the brain that deals with attention and cognitive control, the higher functions, gets queiter… Don’t over think your creative process.

Allen Braun, the chief of the language section of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), said that the same cognitive functions displayed during freestyle rap are used by athletes.

Braun told Yahoo News: ”If an athlete starts paying attention to what they’re doing, how they’re going to move their body to catch a ball, they’ll clutch and they won’t do it.”​
http://newsterm.blogspot.com/2012/12/rappers-brain-in-flow.html?spref=tw

Makes sense. You'd have to be in a flow state to release the creative inhibitions. Same goes for many other activities as noted in the article.

What sucks about flow is you sometimes can't remember what you were thinking about when you did something. Like when you're trying to get back into that state of mind. You were just so lost in the moment that you can't find your way back when you need it. Trying to find the one beautiful tree you encountered during a ecstasy trip in the middle of the forest.

[video=youtube_share;wFM5sN4yAkM]http://youtu.be/wFM5sN4yAkM[/video]

Having a huge vocabulary, and being able to plan your words in advance probably play a huge part in flow. As Del says in the video, know the foundation, then practice!

”If an athlete starts paying attention to what they’re doing, how they’re going to move their body to catch a ball, they’ll clutch and they won’t do it.”

Seems like something along the lines of Yoda: Do or do not.

When I rap it does help to not think about it. Usually my flow ends when I try to evaluate if I have been doing a good job with it up to that point. Pretty good things will just come out if I 'just do it', trying to think up something cool to say almost never works. I was in a rap battle (not a real one, more of a mockery of one) one time with a guy and he came up with a pretty good 4 line end rhyme at me... after he took 20 minutes to think of it. That is just bad rapping. Comedic timing and wit are two key ingredients to a good flow IMO.