the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I heard a story about some kind of wise man/spiritual guru who was robbed but had no belongings. So he tracked down the robber and gave the guy all his clothes because he felt bad. Then he went home and wished he could give the robber the moon.

Anyways what are property laws like in other countries where a guy can have zero things and still of a house? Wouldn't he go to jail for property tax evasion?

so, is this about property or spirituality?
i don't mean to be a smart ass but i really don't follow this one. it's like saying do you walk to work or carry a lunch?

Reactions: #@&5&49
In a literal sense there are plenty of shanty towns where people get away with this, and areas that are too remote to bother with enforcing property rights.

One out of seven people in the world lives in a improvised shack of some kind.

so, is this about property or spirituality?
i don't mean to be a smart ass but i really don't follow this one. it's like saying do you walk to work or carry a lunch?

Its about both.

Its about both.
oh.
could it be that the man lives in a mud hut? a cave? maybe he lives in a society that is communal?
i'm still wondering how a man with no possessions can be robbed in the first place actually.

oh.
could it be that the man lives in a mud hut? a cave? maybe he lives in a society that is communal?
i'm still wondering how a man with no possessions can be robbed in the first place actually.

This is actually from a Zen koan.

Originally it's Ryokan, who did live in a hut at the foot of a mountain, not a house that modern first world people might think of.

The robber came and intended to steal from Ryokan, but found there was nothing to steal. Ryokan caught him, and said "You have come a long way to visit me, and should not leave empty handed. Take my clothes as a gift."

The thief was confused about this and just took the clothes and left.

Ryokan then said to himself: "Poor fellow. I wish I could have given him this beautiful moon."

Edit:
Also note that Ryokan was a real person, known for being a kind and generous hermit, so this might have actually happened. He lived in Japan from 1758 to 1831.

Last edited:
thank you [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]
that makes a bit more sense.

I'm not sure it's possible to do this anymore because most land is owned by someone-- either a private citizen or a government. There used to be undiscovered/unsettled corners of the world where you could just build a house anywhere you wanted and nobody would care, but as of very recently this just isn't the case.

Maybe you could do this on Ellesmere Island or a former nuclear test site or a really tiny island in the South Pacific or something, but it might be hard to stay alive.