QM and suffering | INFJ Forum

QM and suffering

I don't know if it spreads or if it's always there (energy cannot be destroyed only changed etc) but it seems to come out in different portions or different places at different times. Or something of the sort.

An interesting article, and while I don't deny the possibility of quantum physics influencing human behavior, I think the social phenomena he focused on (populist movements, terrorist organizations) owe more to the Internet and the ease of spreading ideas worldwide to a willing and receptive audience.

Reactions: James and jkxx
I especially like the last part in your sentence - to a willing and receptive audience, since we have the suggestion that whatever "philosophy of life" we learn first will tend to influence us in the future. And a bunch of other tangents emerging from this.

Almost everything going on on a macro scale has a similar counterpart on a micro and even quantum scale.
This article assumes that there is a connection across a collective consciousness (I happen to agree) which is only agreed upon by a certain percentage of those who study such things...in other words it is not the prevailing opinion, but it still holds water and has not been disproven.
There is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary, that there IS a collective consciousness that effects us all and can even be felt by some or many, or all for that matter...just at varying degrees.
It also seems to supersede time, such as the readings that were taken several hours by the PEARS lab at Princeton before 9-11 took place, suggesting that precognition is indeed real as well (not to mention the plethora of dreams people had that night before it happened of the incident).
How far up or down the scale our own influence has is up for debate.

Now you say some mighty interesting things here and I happen to agree with all of them - for one in one of my books there is such a conclusion made based on exactly this principle "the universe is one living breathing organism" (with a bit of poetry in that line) but it more or less describes this model, where the major difference is it's not a static, dead, everything separate version of the universe.
As for precognition.. happens to me a ton, so much so that I've just accepted it as the norm - some idea, vision, or something else pops into my mind, then a few hours later or the next day it materializes.

This fits some materials I've read - we make the decision, then rationalize it to make it seem "objective" - rather than the other way around.

It was a good article but a pity it focused on the negatives. It appears that our minds make decisions before we are consciously aware ourselves, perhaps by between 6 to 10 seconds.

https://www.nature.com/news/2008/080411/full/news.2008.751.html

Nah, I don’t buy it...that study only supposes that the recorded signals are what they claim which there is no working model for.
It’s a good theory if you believe that there isn’t any kind of spirit or signal or soul or projection, etc.
What would be the advantage of our own mind to be in effect - tricking itself into thinking we had a free will of our own, it wouldn’t make sense from an evolutionary POV to cause such cognitive dissonance and other mental tripwires.
If there is no choice and it’s preprogrammed based on the framework of our neurons alone then it would be far more easy to NOT give us the sense that we are actually choosing something when we are not when it is the cause of almost all of our mental suffering.
I say, if we are suffering from our own mental torments, then we are indeed making a choice or are in some way in control of our decision making process...otherwise, why would they exist?
It would be far more efficient without the false sense of choice.

I think the illusion of free will is necessary early on so we can get a foothold in life, then we can move on in other directions when it is not so necessary - but good point. Astrologically that is the meaning of the sun, to life us beyond banal reality at least subjectively (along with Jupiter which carriers similar themes on a social level.)

Nah, I don’t buy it..

Really ? I don't think it gives evidence of a lack of free will. Only that our perceptions of things maybe "blurred".

In physics the question of time is really something. I wasn't disputing your post skarekrow. I think the the answers maybe much crazier than we imagine.

I hope you're well. :)

I think the illusion of free will is necessary early on so we can get a foothold in life, then we can move on in other directions when it is not so necessary - but good point. Astrologically that is the meaning of the sun, to life us beyond banal reality at least subjectively (along with Jupiter which carriers similar themes on a social level.)

If anything nature if always moving toward more efficiency...even plowing rivers through stone to do so.
I just don’t see what possible purpose the illusion of choice would have as it actually slows down the decision process many times - so if it is already pre decided, then that would make it an issue.

Really ? I don't think it gives evidence of a lack of free will. Only that our perceptions of things maybe "blurred".

In physics the question of time is really something. I wasn't disputing your post skarekrow. I think the the answers maybe much crazier than we imagine.

I hope you're well. :)

No, I know that James! ;)
That signal that they suggest is the decision being made for us could just as easily be the amount of time it takes the soul/spirit/energetic self to interact from the non-physical or spiritual realm/possibly another dimension entirely, with the physical until the brain actually registers and reacts to the directions given by the soul.
Of course they could be right...I am not arguing with you or your post James...just asking more questions “why” and why they chose to make that the conclusion that this delay proves we are not making our own choices...because it’s just as theoretical as everything I just wrote.
But from a non-spiritual materialist view of the mind, it’s as good a guess as any.
I’m okay...hope you are okay?

Ah yes, agree with that about the answers being crazier than we can ever perceive.

Even if we could perceive what was really going on around us, I doubt our mind would be able to fully grasp even a small slice - thus as Huxley wrote - "the mind acts as a reducing valve for reality” acting in this way that we can carry on a normal life and function.
I would like to try and see though!

I just don’t see what possible purpose the illusion of choice would have as it actually slows down the decision process many times - so if it is already pre decided, then that would make it an issue.

Evolution Pluto-style and yes even Darwin came to a similar conclusion.

Haha yes, well said there, and also agrees with some unrelated studies of mine.

Reactions: James and Skarekrow
Evolution Pluto-style and yes even Darwin came to a similar conclusion.

Haha yes, well said there, and also agrees with some unrelated studies of mine.
Here a link to probably my closest personal view of things and how I relate with them.
I find it to be more complete than most of our current views of reality.
But it is not without it’s debatable questions.

Manifesto for a Post-Materialist Science
http://www.opensciences.org/about/manifesto-for-a-post-materialist-science

100 Notable Scientists Call for Open Study of Consciousness
http://www.opensciences.org/blogs/o...ientists-call-for-open-study-of-consciousness

A call for an open, informed study of all aspects of consciousness
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00017/full

Last edited:
Right off the top I agree with the first statement in the top paper so will be reading these when I have the time.

Reactions: Skarekrow