Project & Event Planning | INFJ Forum

Project & Event Planning

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I've recently developed an interest in organizational, project, or event planning. At one point, i thought i would pursue a certificate in project management, event planning, or crisis management. But i'm interested in learning more about the job market and the industry along with what is involved in working in these fields.

Since INFJs are planners, i think many here would have an interest in these fields.

Event Planning Industry
http://www.entrepreneur.com/downloads/guides/1313_Event_Planning_ch1.pdf

If you have knowledge or experience in these areas, please share. Thx.

Last edited:
As an extreme "P," I can only say that we really need you! I dread planning and love it when others are willing to organize and dictate my schedule.

One of my dream jobs is to be an event planner for various esoteric conventions. Part of me thinks it'd be way too stressful, but I don't really stress about much personally.

I always figured Project management is a no-no for me because of all the interpersonal relations required.

From what I have been able to tell from our project managers and project management training I had from a 3rd party consultant at work, project management involves putting the right people in the right roles, and micro managing every detail. I would be too inclined to do everything myself, which is a BIG no no.

Logistics wise it sounds alright, but checking up on people, correcting conflicts (sometimes), lighting a fire under the asses of slackers, and making everyone happy doesn't sound like any niche I would like much. It would just be too draining.

This is all from a corporate perspective, from the perspective of a separate business plan, I couldn't say!

Also, as a P it REALLY doesn't work for me because I am simply NOT that detail oriented. Project management seems very much like a good job for ExxJ types.

I always figured Project management is a no-no for me because of all the interpersonal relations required.

From what I have been able to tell from our project managers and project management training I had from a 3rd party consultant at work, project management involves putting the right people in the right roles, and micro managing every detail. I would be too inclined to do everything myself, which is a BIG no no.

Logistics wise it sounds alright, but checking up on people, correcting conflicts (sometimes), lighting a fire under the asses of slackers, and making everyone happy doesn't sound like any niche I would like much. It would just be too draining.

This is all from a corporate perspective, from the perspective of a separate business plan, I couldn't say!

Also, as a P it REALLY doesn't work for me because I am simply NOT that detail oriented. Project management seems very much like a good job for ExxJ types.

Yeah, i am detail oriented in terms of expectations for self, but additional pressure from others would make me crack. I need to figure out on my own what i need to complete the task, so it's difficult to follow through on a project if someone else is doing the planning and delegating.

I like the logistics of the position, but managing people and conflicts would be difficult. I think i would suck at the social intelligence aspects of the job, but would do pretty well with the overall picture, figuring where everyone fits in order to complete the task. So, i would probably be able to manage the "project" but not the people.

Last edited:
Neat topic. I will come back after some time. :D I love this stuff.

I have worked on two non profit organization boards. I have helped organize MANY large events. It takes a team, and it takes leading a team. I loved doing this. My favorite was the fund raising. But when i was ill, i was asked to step down. I had a team of 5 others who would contact business's for donations, and assistance. I would work on location, fliers, and attendance. My biggest even was an Online auction, while it sounds easier, it isnt...there is much more behind the scenes work...

I have worked on two non profit organization boards. I have helped organize MANY large events. It takes a team, and it takes leading a team. I loved doing this. My favorite was the fund raising. But when i was ill, i was asked to step down. I had a team of 5 others who would contact business's for donations, and assistance. I would work on location, fliers, and attendance. My biggest even was an Online auction, while it sounds easier, it isnt...there is much more behind the scenes work...

meh hit submit instead of preview...

I also helped organize a large convention! A team of 20 people working together to achieve an all day event, with speakers, prizes, and food...You expect thousands in attendance, and they will be appreciating your hard work. Its a year long ordeal...I do miss it greatly...

It's funny because I HATE planning things. That's why I love producers. If you have a good relationship with a producer, I deal with all the creative/artistic stuff while my producer organises things and brings it down to earth. That's how it works in film anyway, with requires tons of planning and organisation. It is definitely my weak point but it's like a yin and yang kind of thing.