Program for Publishing | INFJ Forum

Program for Publishing

S

Shai Gar

Does anyone know of any programs useful for publishing documents?

What I'd like is software for printing out a document in a manner that can be made into a traditional penguin paperback sized book, rather than the A4 document ringbinder.

Without knowing the details of your project, my suggestions are Adobe InDesign and Quark XPress, with a strong lean toward Adobe InDesign.

cheers,
Ian

Without knowing the details of your project, my suggestions are Adobe InDesign and Quark XPress, with a strong lean toward Adobe InDesign.

cheers,
Ian

This. Adobe InDesign is what the publishing house I work for (yes, I work for a publishing house) uses to design the layouts for their books and magazines.

Are you more concerned with price or learning curve? InDesign sounds good if you don't mind paying for it. Otherwise I'd recommend LaTeX or DocBook if you don't mind putting the effort into learning them.

Shai, would you kindly tell us what operating system your computer uses? I can look for free publishing programs and link them to you if I know if you run Windows/OSX/Linux.

I've got Windows Vista Ultimate running on my net machine, I've got Ubuntu running on the home network, and I've got OpenBSD running on my off network machine.*

*Ultimate Security, Best secure Operating System, combined with not being connected to anything, heh. Got the idea from a xkcd comic where bill gates was asking how to make vista secure without changing anything

hmm... well for free stuff, I'd go with Xel'Karin's recommendations. InDesign is still my top recommendation, but my friend gave me the last key to his master collection, so I didn't have to dish out a dime for it. There's not a lot of free book publishing software, probably because most people who need book publishing software are with publishing houses...