Problems with losing friends | INFJ Forum

Problems with losing friends

Jun 1, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
For the majority of my life in my high school, I spent my time around a group I believed were good and trustworthy people. I was actually quite close to at least three of these people, and knew a great deal about all of them. However, during my senior year, I began to feel as if they had changed for some reason. To me, this change was not good. You see, normally these people would listen to me and agree with me on a considerable amount of things on an intellectual level (the level where intelligent conversation exists.) I felt as if they were moving towards a more simple view on things. Also, one of these people (I'll refer to him here as A) started behaving in a manner that I saw as highly problematic. I would generally describe this behavior as either narcissistic or sociopathic (whether or not he is either of these things is unknown.) A's actions included : lying to others to make himself look good, and manipulating people into thinking that I (or one of my other friends, C) was at fault even though it was clear to both C and I that A was obviously the one at fault, but no one else believed us because A's speaking ability and charm was much stronger than either mine or C's so there was basically nothing we could do. One of the people who sided with A, (I'll refer to him as B) had also begun to dislike depth or difficult questions regarding anything and I have come to believe that his strong relationship with A had somehow caused this because A is is the type of person that doesn't really enjoy things for their complexity, but for their simple enjoyment. I grew further away from both A and B but B's change was more unsettling because the sheer lack of rationality in almost everything he said as well as inability to listen to any ideas other than his own. For example, I, on multiple occasions attempted to explain to him why video games can never be considered a clinical addiction because there is no way that they can alter your body in any way, unlike substances that are actually addictive (various drugs, cigarettes, coffee maybe) and because video games can be quit at any time by sheer will power alone whereas actually addictive substances create an actual "need" within the body that cannot go away for a long time. When I told him this, he would simply respond with some nonsense that I had just disproved with what I just told him.

Being someone who seeks meaningful and healthy relationships, I became less and less interested in being around A and B because A, with his sociopathic tendencies, would cause me unnecessary problems with nothing good in return and B had gotten to the point where I felt that his perception was just so convoluted and non-accepting to change (he's an ENFJ but I think he may have been put in a Extroverted feeling-Extroverted sensing loop) that there was nothing I could really do for him and there was nothing he could do for me so I thought that his presence was much more negative than positive regarding me. During this time, I grew a great deal closer to C, to the point at which I talked to him almost every day on Skype (and I still do) which is kind of good but I am now saddened by the fact that all four of us will never be as close as we were, or even have any relation at all.

So my question is: do you think I did what was right? and was there anything I could have done to solve this problem? (there probably isn't anything I can do now, but I think getting others' thoughts on this incident could be helpful in some way.)