Power of confirmation bias | INFJ Forum

Power of confirmation bias

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
The "age difference" thread got me thinking about the power of confirmation bias, where we don't actually see people or situations through a lens that seeks to know or understand, but rather we simply look for things to reinforce our feelings or views. And although our world is supposed to be more open and tolerant, confirmation bias seems higher in aspects today than it did in previous generations or centuries. Agree or disagree? How do you see confirmation bias playing out everyday in your experiences?

Too true.

Case in point: when I get hurt by someone's actions, it is all too easy to just assume it was personal. Then I establish distance, and find myself for months getting lost in negative thought patterns that focus on those moments as confirmation that said person must be this manipulative or bad individual.

Only to realize that I've been ignoring all the kindness shown too, all the good things. Ignoring all the other aspects of this person that show they aren't really this big antagonist after all. It doesn't mean they are perfect, or even "good" - their actions were shitty, and continue to be so. But there is no reason to build this case against them in my head, charging my fury against someone who genuinely tries hard (and often succeeds if I bothered to pay attention).

Not sure I agree it is worse now than before, but confirmation bias drives me bananas.
(We're all guilty of it to some extent.)

Too true.

Case in point: when I get hurt by someone's actions, it is all too easy to just assume it was personal. Then I establish distance, and find myself for months getting lost in negative thought patterns that focus on those moments as confirmation that said person must be this manipulative or bad individual.

Only to realize that I've been ignoring all the kindness shown too, all the good things. Ignoring all the other aspects of this person that show they aren't really this big antagonist after all. It doesn't mean they are perfect, or even "good" - their actions were shitty, and continue to be so. But there is no reason to build this case against them in my head, charging my fury against someone who genuinely tries hard (and often succeeds if I bothered to pay attention).

True, true, true. I find myself doing this all the time, unfortunately. Usually, it's because I'm upset about something someone I know may have said or done, and then I assume this is some kind of pattern in their behavior, which may not be true. You're right, it makes it too easy to ignore all the great things they've said or done, to only focus on those things they do which reflect your fears about them based on the one or few things they've said that you didn't agree with. It's easy to do this with culture as well.

Last edited: