Potentially awkward interview situation–need advice! | INFJ Forum

Potentially awkward interview situation–need advice!

LlamaHerder

Three
Jul 25, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I was fired the other day. It came as a total shock because my boss had never given me any negative feedback or anything, so I never had a chance to try to improve. I wasn't aware I needed to (though I don't know if I could have, as I was already putting in my full effort). This is the most basic entry level job, so I never imagined I would be perceived as a poor worker. But apparently I'm "too slow," though he said my quality of work was fine.

My problem is this: a couple of weeks ago, this library I've been trying to get a job at for a long time had an opening, so I applied. Right after I was fired, the library called to schedule an interview. Before, I would have been thrilled because this is the chance I've been waiting for. Now, I'm just full of dread, because the application they have says I'm still employed.

How am I supposed to tell them at the interview that I just got fired? I would say that the best thing to do is not mention it unless/until they specifically ask if I've ever been fired. The problem with that is, they'll probably ask a lot of questions that assume I'm still working there. Questions about my "current job." How am I supposed to answer those? Answering as if I do still work there would essentially be lying, which I don't want to do. And then they could ask later in the interview if I've ever been terminated, and when I answered, then they'd know I had answered the previous questions under false pretenses. Which comes back to where I started... If they mention my current job, and I correct them and say that I'm currently unemployed, then they'll wonder why. It would give them a reason to ask if I've ever been terminated, even if they originally weren't going to ask that question.

I feel like no matter how I handle this, I'm digging a hole for myself.

I'm not even worried so much about how to explain why I was fired. Sure, that's embarrassing, but I have an answer that's both good and truthful. I'm conscientious and I didn't realize that it was slowing me down. I learned that from now on, I should check with my boss regularly to ask how I'm doing instead of assuming he'll tell me if I need to improve. I'll ask how I can measure my progress and then set specific goals for myself to make sure I'm always on track. I think explaining it like that would show that I take personal responsibility and learn from mistakes, while indirectly letting them know that my boss failed to give me feedback.

What I'm afraid of is blowing my chances by having to flat out tell them I was fired before they even ask... That's so awkward. :(

Like, how are you even supposed to phrase it? I keep imagining that they ask something like, "Why do you want to leave your current job?" or "Describe your responsibilities at your current job." And then I answer, "Actually, I'm unemployed right now, but at my last job....." And they ask why my application says I'm still employed. Or they silently wonder, and then ask later in the interview if I've ever been terminated.

Or if, miraculously, they never explicitly ask about my current job, and I simply don't bring it up... Would that be dishonest somehow? And if they somehow found out later that I was fired, would it look bad? If that happened they might even think that I lied on my application. :(

Last edited:
Don't dread it, just be you're self...

Just go for the interview, relax and tell the truth to what ever question they ask. Try to make a good impression, and connect with the other person or persons. Also I know its strange but for five minutes before the interview make you posture bigger, like holding your arms out and above you're head (when your alone); I've read about how this affects levels of neuro-chemicals in the brain, specifically serotonin and a few others I can't recall right now. Anyway the end result is that it makes you more confident and alert and gives you a higher chance of scoring that job.

As for you're current job situation, if you feel compelled to tell them about you no longer being employed then do so. Who knows maybe is will work out for the best, when they realize that you have more time and are could be more dedicated to that position.

Tell the truth. Tell them exactly what you said here. You werent given any feed back and never given a chance to improve etc... Be open and honest.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I'm not afraid of telling them the truth. What I'm stressed over is how to bring it up in the first place.

I can't picture how I could bring it up naturally. Like I can't just randomly blurt out "By the way, I was fired!"

I'm not worried about what to say when it comes up. I'm worried about how it will come up.

For example, they ask questions like "What is a typical day like at your current job?" Do I just answer the question, or do I say "I'm currently unemployed, but at my last job..."

Would it be bad to alert them to the fact I may have been fired? Or would it be worse to just answer the question as if I still worked there, only to have them ask later "Have you ever been terminated?" and then think I was misleading them before.

Basically I'm wondering how to handle the logistics of it.

At what time would it be appropriate to tell them and exactly how should I phrase it? And could it blow up in my face later if I hide the fact that I was fired? Even if it never comes up in the interview, they could call my former boss. And then they might think I lied on my application when I said I was still working there.

Dont tell them you were fired unless they ask. As for how it could come up, it could come up a thousand ways. You never be able to prepare for them, so dont try.

As a person responsible for interviewing and giving the go ahead to hire in the past, someone telling me they were fired would make me ask why. I realize that people are fired for many reasons to include idiot supervisors. In your situation if you were to tell me you had no idea you would be fired and that you were not given a chance to improve I would likely think idiot supervisor. Depending on your attitude of course. Going off about your boss being an idiot wouldnt go over well even if they were though. Your thought is that if you dont tell them right off the bat they will think you were trying to hide something right? I wouldnt think that. I would base my opinion on how I felt the interview went. Can I work with this person etc..

Last edited:
Dear LlamaHerder,

I agree with you that it's not quite probable they won't be interested on your last job – some companies even contact your last workplace to ask about you, and, well, it wouldn't sound well to them to her from your previous boss something very different of what you told them. So, let's suppose you will have to deal with that and start from there.

First, you clearly need some confidence. You must have some reason for wanting this particular job for a long time; whether you are a keen reader and love books or you're a calm person who would fit well that position, I believe you can find a reason that makes YOU believe you could be a good librarian – just in case: I mean something besides "I need a job, and it's easy and pays well!", of course. If you can't find a good reason they would like to hire you, well, go and find something else; but if you're truly convinced you can be that good on it, then you could show that to them and it would be only a matter of dealing with what could get into you way, not from your own sake but to the library's: it would actually be good to both of them to deal with the last job's situation and have you there.

Now, do your best to convey your message to them. Explain to them what why THEY would want you as a librarian, just like you already discovered yourself. You will find that a personality suited to this kind of job tends not to be that much comfortable on fast paced jobs, without any intellectual stimulation; tell them that and then use your previous (bad) experience as a support. I would go like this:

"I know that because I tried it. My previous experience is a good example; it was not for me: I had no room for improvement in my function and I've had absolutely no feedback. I can work under pressure and under demanding conditions, but I like to do a good job; I've found out that my old function had more to do with speed than quality, they didn't care at all for any thinking from the employee's part, not even with a job well done, as long as it was quick, mechanical, and that's just not like me, so I began to look for a different workplace, one where I could the best is expected from me. Meanwhile, my boss decided I was as 'fast' as he wanted and decided to let me go. I didn't argue: I felt happy for that, because I thought that was a good chance to find a better place. And, well, I told you why I believe I can be a very good librarian. I believe this is a good place to work and I believe you and me want the same thing: you want a good employee and want to do my best here, I believe this is the kind of place that grows with this attitude."

If you're honest about that – and if you aren't, do go and look for a place where you really believe you can do your best –, both your honesty and confidence will shine to them, making your qualifications – your knowledge of literature, experience dealing with people etc., etc. – even brighter. The world is full of smart guys, knowledgeable guys and so on, but few upon which you can put your trust; and the harder to find, more valuable to get. Among many, the guy that, even dealing with a hard situation, stick to his good qualities and trust his efforts won't go unnoticed, be it in a library or wherever it may be.

Oh, and pray before going there, It's a very good help.

My best regards to you. :)

Don't hide it if your poker face isn't convincing enough.

I'd disclose it from the start to get it out of the way. It'd make the rest of the interview a breeze.

Just tell them the company went through a restructuring and you were let go. There are many different ways to phrase it.

I've been fired twice but never had to bring it up if I wasn't asked.
The question usually would be, Why did you leave your last job, and my truthful answer is
'It was the right time to go, so now I have the privilege to find a job, (like this one I'm interviewing for) which would make the best use of my strengths and give me the opportunity to grow in so and so areas'

If it comes up, do what Eventhorizon said. You could also throw in that you feel like working at the library would be a better for for you than your last job, then maybe use that as a spring board to further expound on your qualifications (as the reason why) if there is anything relevant that you hadn't had a chance to talk about up to that point.