thirdhalf

nobody special
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So, I've spent almost the past 10 years living my life for someone else on top of working myself nearly to death for much of it and I'm done with all of that. Very done and very tired. Have 4 weeks of vacation to burn before the end of the year 1 of which I can roll into next year if need be. Probably can take it in 1-2 week chunks pretty easily and am looking to just go out and do something mindless and just enjoy the simple sense of being. The one thing I have ruled out is a cultural style of vacation, one where you go and explore a culture, as I don't enjoy doing that alone. Technically don't like traveling at all alone but oh well and I'll get over it. Some things I have thought of are below, I'm open to just about anything.

-Whistler BC for the winter season
-Alaska or Panama cruise
-Bum around the beaches and nature on the big island of Hawaii and Oahu
-Sailing vacation (the larger boats with a crew)
-Canada train vacation
-Cottage in the 1000 Islands (hmm, probably fall/winter is not the most ideal time but anyways...)
-Venice, I think I could get enough mindless wandering there. I only speak English so I do have doubts. Its the long shot idea.

I want simple and mindless so I can just be. Suggestions/recommendations/your own personal experiences? Looking to get things planned so that if nothing better comes up in the mean time I at least follow through with something to do. (also to have enough time to apply for any travel/vacation visa's that are required)

Reactions: Satori
Mindless and alone? I vote for Hawai'i.

Alaska sounds great but that depends on what time of year. Venice is amazing but would be a challenge without knowing at least the basics of the language.

So, I've spent almost the past 10 years living my life for someone else on top of working myself nearly to death for much of it and I'm done with all of that. Very done and very tired. Have 4 weeks of vacation to burn before the end of the year 1 of which I can roll into next year if need be. Probably can take it in 1-2 week chunks pretty easily and am looking to just go out and do something mindless and just enjoy the simple sense of being. The one thing I have ruled out is a cultural style of vacation, one where you go and explore a culture, as I don't enjoy doing that alone. Technically don't like traveling at all alone but oh well and I'll get over it. Some things I have thought of are below, I'm open to just about anything.

-Whistler BC for the winter season
-Alaska or Panama cruise
-Bum around the beaches and nature on the big island of Hawaii and Oahu
-Sailing vacation (the larger boats with a crew)
-Canada train vacation
-Cottage in the 1000 Islands (hmm, probably fall/winter is not the most ideal time but anyways...)
-Venice, I think I could get enough mindless wandering there. I only speak English so I do have doubts. Its the long shot idea.

I want simple and mindless so I can just be. Suggestions/recommendations/your own personal experiences? Looking to get things planned so that if nothing better comes up in the mean time I at least follow through with something to do. (also to have enough time to apply for any travel/vacation visa's that are required)

Ok...so I am biased because come of your vacations are on my bucket list!!! (ALASKA CRUISE! YES!!)

The Canadian train vacation, as I am from Canada, is less appealing. But I do know the Rocky train trips are suppose to be AMAZING- but pricey.

Honestly, I have found Europe to be the easiest for traveling alone. I would do, personally, an Ireland/UK tour! That or Australia is an equally easy place to tour around- and have amazing beaches (but killer insects).

Hawaii is on my top destination list for sure!

If you do want to do a quiet trip, there are some really nice cottage rentals around Canada and in BC- you could easily get a nice place on a lake and hang out in peace there for a few weeks!

My dream vacation is a Viking Cruise through Europe. I would sell my soul to go on one, especially near the Christmas holidays...ummm...German Christmas fairs - HELL YES!!!!!! And all the delicious sweets...mmmmmmm...If you're paying, I will be your partner in crime....just sayin'.

Ok...so I am biased because come of your vacations are on my bucket list!!! (ALASKA CRUISE! YES!!)

The Canadian train vacation, as I am from Canada, is less appealing. But I do know the Rocky train trips are suppose to be AMAZING- but pricey.

Honestly, I have found Europe to be the easiest for traveling alone. I would do, personally, an Ireland/UK tour! That or Australia is an equally easy place to tour around- and have amazing beaches (but killer insects).

Hawaii is on my top destination list for sure!

If you do want to do a quiet trip, there are some really nice cottage rentals around Canada and in BC- you could easily get a nice place on a lake and hang out in peace there for a few weeks!

My dream vacation is a Viking Cruise through Europe. I would sell my soul to go on one, especially near the Christmas holidays...ummm...German Christmas fairs - HELL YES!!!!!! And all the delicious sweets...mmmmmmm...If you're paying, I will be your partner in crime....just sayin'.

You have some good tastes ;)

Australia is also on my list but I am holding out for my work to send me there (...free that way :) ) but there is little likely hood of that. Sydney over the holidays sounds like fun. New Zealand too, I really want to go there.

I think my time of year would kind of rule out the cottage rental around Canada. Freezing my ass off by my lonesome is not what I would consider high on my priority list, lol. Minnesota was bad enough with my wet hair freezing within 10 seconds of stepping outside...

Viking ocean cruise?
http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/multi-region/passage-west-europe/index.html

Or Viking river cruise?
http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/

You have some good tastes ;)

Australia is also on my list but I am holding out for my work to send me there (...free that way :) ) but there is little likely hood of that. Sydney over the holidays sounds like fun. New Zealand too, I really want to go there.

I think my time of year would kind of rule out the cottage rental around Canada. Freezing my ass off by my lonesome is not what I would consider high on my priority list, lol. Minnesota was bad enough with my wet hair freezing within 10 seconds of stepping outside...

Viking ocean cruise?
http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/multi-region/passage-west-europe/index.html

Or Viking river cruise?
http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/

River!! The Grand European! MY DREAM!

I hear renting an RV in Iceland is very cool. (summer only)

River!! The Grand European! MY DREAM!

Damn fine dream, think I'm going to add it to my list now too. CY 2015 is pretty much booked up unfortunately.

Mindless and alone? I vote for Hawai'i.

Alaska sounds great but that depends on what time of year. Venice is amazing but would be a challenge without knowing at least the basics of the language.

Good point on Venice, probably a place that should be better prepared for.

+1 on Hawaii, has gotten a few votes. Alaska in winter = northern lights.

I love Fall in the 1000 Islands, but it would have to be no later than October. It depends on what you like, but if you like laid back with few tourists, beautiful scenery, walks in the country with cozy fire afterwards...personally if I would do a vacation that isn't cultural but just to relax that is the type of thing I would do. Beats crowded beaches and cruises full of tourists. The thought of being stuck on a boat with a bunch of tourists makes me cringe.

Second choice for me would be a sailing cruise, a lot less people than on the cruise ships, and I love sailing, it makes me feel like I am part of the wind, although the accommodations can be less than comfortable on some sailboats.

A couple of points that I've heard
- Venice is interesting but mostly a tourist trap these days and very pricey, although my son and his wife stayed at a Monastery near there which they liked.
- I know several people who have been on the Viking river cruises, all loved them, but were also all over 70 years of age.

Also, I'm hoping to take a trip by myself in the not too distant future, but my plan is to go to France and rent a car and drive around the countryside, staying at little bed and breakfasts, eating well and drinking lots of wine. I would probably do it in the off season as there are less tourists.

I loved Ireland in February, especially the West of Ireland, stunning scenery and not too many people (see a trend for my preferences?).

I love Fall in the 1000 Islands, but it would have to be no later than October. It depends on what you like, but if you like laid back with few tourists, beautiful scenery, walks in the country with cozy fire afterwards...personally if I would do a vacation that isn't cultural but just to relax that is the type of thing I would do. Beats crowded beaches and cruises full of tourists. The thought of being stuck on a boat with a bunch of tourists makes me cringe.

Second choice for me would be a sailing cruise, a lot less people than on the cruise ships, and I love sailing, it makes me feel like I am part of the wind, although the accommodations can be less than comfortable on some sailboats.

A couple of points that I've heard
- Venice is interesting but mostly a tourist trap these days and very pricey, although my son and his wife stayed at a Monastery near there which they liked.
- I know several people who have been on the Viking river cruises, all loved them, but were also all over 70 years of age.

Also, I'm hoping to take a trip by myself in the not too distant future, but my plan is to go to France and rent a car and drive around the countryside, staying at little bed and breakfasts, eating well and drinking lots of wine. I would probably do it in the off season as there are less tourists.

I loved Ireland in February, especially the West of Ireland, stunning scenery and not too many people (see a trend for my preferences?).

I do see a trend. Whenever nobody else is there... Both of your idea's I've added to my someday list.

Not a fan of being a sardine in a big ole floating tin can either, but a cruise is pretty mindless. Just have to show up on time and that is about it. The thought of a sailing cruise is starting to grow on me some, less people, the accommodations (or lack of) don't really bother me.

I'm kind of screwed some with the timing, likely would be taking part or all of it in November/December and a lot of the things I would like to do are where it gets cold. Not that I mind cold at all, but I would have a hard time enjoying myself in a cabin surrounded by snow in front of a fire. Those types of things I have always associated with sharing with someone else and going at it alone would be a constant fight with those thoughts. Just something special about snow and keeping warm in front of a fire. Tropical and stuff like that I am not nearly as affected in the same way. Probably came from growing up and falling snow+fire=family time.

I was starting to get that impression about the Viking river cruises too, popular among the older age set. Heard through friends of family that they all really liked the cruises but they are also 50+ yr old couples too. I am really eyeballing the Germany one in December as it looks good and I know I would like it. Germany/Austria/Czech Republic/Hungary or anything around those just seem like a lot of fun around the Christmas holiday. But something about hanging out alone with a bunch of 70 year old couples is, I dunno..... (no offense to those with years of wisdom behind them) Guess I need to go about finding someone to bring with. It sounds so sad hearing myself say that but oh well, life is short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scientia
How much do you want to gel, how much do you want to have fun? Do you want a night life, people around...or just relax?

Oregon coast. Starting from Lincoln beach going toward Bandon. Hit a couple of nice hotels around Bandon and then find some place to rent an atv and hit the sand dunes. To this day its one of the most fun things I get to do every now and then. Though. .. its even more fun with friends around.

How much do you want to gel, how much do you want to have fun? Do you want a night life, people around...or just relax?

Doesn't matter. Could be all fun or all gelling...as long as I don't have to do too much to make it happen.

Not into the party scene/drinking.

Oregon coast. Starting from Lincoln beach going toward Bandon. Hit a couple of nice hotels around Bandon and then find some place to rent an atv and hit the sand dunes. To this day its one of the most fun things I get to do every now and then. Though. .. its even more fun with friends around.

I'll check into that. That and the Columbia River sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Venice, romantic! Who knows who you could meet and what might happen! This won't be mindless, but I couldn't resist.

Reactions: thirdhalf
My vote is for Venice as well. You'd be surprised at how many countries are so used to English-only speaking tourists. I think it will be easier to get around and be understood than you think. It's good that you now have the freedom in your life to take this trip, and more importantly, that this is a reward to you and also a reminder to live your life on your terms. Wherever your vacation takes you, enjoy yourself fully, and...we want pictures!

Reactions: Misadventure
congrats on your life changes. ive skiied whistler blackcomb resort for a week when i was 20 and i had the time of my life. ive always dreamed of going back there. im older now, grouchier and always wanting to be comfortable and warm, i wonder whether it would be just as much fun. theres something about riding a hill on a couple of planks that is so absurd and so luxurious. i think skiing is a great Se outlet.

Well, Venice is high on the list now.

Also, to any of those looking at the Viking river cruises sign up for their newsletter and special offer mailer. Just got a special offer email for November for the Cities of Light (12 day cruise) at a huge discount for their upgraded staterooms and that includes free round trip airfare. They drop their prices a lot when they are trying to fill rooms it looks like.

congrats on your life changes. ive skiied whistler blackcomb resort for a week when i was 20 and i had the time of my life. ive always dreamed of going back there. im older now, grouchier and always wanting to be comfortable and warm, i wonder whether it would be just as much fun. theres something about riding a hill on a couple of planks that is so absurd and so luxurious. i think skiing is a great Se outlet.

I never thought of it in those terms, a Se outlet, but it makes a lot of sense. I like it, its a blast, but not quite to the same extent that a lot of other people take it. Probably will stick to Colorado for winter sports this year and hit up Blackcomb some future date.

Same here, I have always been dreaming to go for a vacation next year and one of the best places I would want to visit is Singapore because I do have a lot of friends there also. To add to all suggestions here. You may read the guidelines for the best places that I found in Singapore : Singapore Must-See Attractions , but if you want something based on my personal view because I visited it already then you may try Cebu, Philippines. It is really a very nice place for a vacation.

I've got one word for you: Idaho! The gem state, baby!

Would you consider going to Asian countries? I recommend Philippines coz they got great beaches and hospitable people. Check out El Nido, it's one of the best! Indonesia and Thailand got beautiful beaches as well. And yes Maldives...one of my dream destination. You can also go to Japan and Korea.