Physical culture and the such | INFJ Forum

Physical culture and the such

detectivepope

Permanent Fixture
Jun 9, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
For the last few years I decided to go full hog on strength training. I have no desire to compete in either a lift based sport (been pissing around with strongman event training though) or bodybuilding shows (though not far off in size). However I do really enjoy the mental aspect and the added bonus of looking fucking good. My question is this, As an INFJ what are your attitudes to physical culture? Whether it a sport, performance or just fitness as I feel the idea INFJ are meak, is a load of shit. Routines, approaches, preferences or even achievements would be welcome. Please refrain from spouting you do nothing like its cool or funny, it isn't.

I think it's good, it just doesn't suit me. I have fine bones like a little bird. I have almost always been a physically active person but it's mostly been cardio for me. I have done heaps of swimming in the past but have switched to home cardio videos over the past couple of years because it's much more convenient. I did used to lift weights a bit when I was younger but I don't think I will go back to it again, I think my path to being in great shape is more through aerobic exercise due to my body type. I'm 179cm but I've never weighed much over 70kg, and I don't think it will really look that good on me to weight train. It does look great on others though!

Reactions: Asa and Gaze
I'm really interested in doing bodyweight resistance exercise in future. I'm also really interested in kickboxing.

I think at the moment I'm mostly trying to eliminate this dad-body look I've got happening. Always very athletic in my youth and have a stack of place ribbons from school sports competitions but since my mid 20s I've been less diligent in keeping up the fitness due to being busy all the time and now I'm looking chubby. I realised I really needed to take action a couple of weeks ago when I was struggling to button up my everyday denim. Ideally I would want to get my hips back to 29 inches again. Not sure what it is now but at least I can button my jeans again.

After that I would want to maybe do a bit of strength training. It's not so much about the size for me because I'm never going to be big, my muscles and frame just aren't heavy. But I would like to get a bit of definition in my delts and lats so I can get a bit more shape in my body.

Reactions: Scientia
I do quite a bit. I noticed that I feel better and am more grounded when I feel and look great. I just thoroughly enjoy physical challenges on a personal level. It took a year but I like looking in the mirror and being really proud of what I have accomplished. It gives me confidence and helps keep my overworked mind in check.

I fluctuate with periods of heavy working out, and then artistic / other endeavors get the best of my mind for lengthy periods of time. In short, I'll swell up for a little while and then slack, on and off. I tend to pick up the pace if I feel that I'm slacking too much.

Reactions: Jet
I need to start working out again ... I'm convinced that the fact that starting in middle school I spent 4+ hours a day training is the only reason I did not need to medicate my GAD when I was young. However, it does not take as high a priority right now as it probably should.

I don't have insight into the culture of fit physicality from the perspective of an INFJ, but it is something that I have debated about quite a bit from the perspective of a mother. Not wanting to derail I wont babble on about it unless there is anyone interested in that side of it.

I need to start working out again ... I'm convinced that the fact that starting in middle school I spent 4+ hours a day training is the only reason I did not need to medicate my GAD when I was young. However, it does not take as high a priority right now as it probably should.

I don't have insight into the culture of fit physicality from the perspective of an INFJ, but it is something that I have debated about quite a bit from the perspective of a mother. Not wanting to derail I wont babble on about it unless there is anyone interested in that side of it.
Physical exercise definitely takes me out of my head for a bit, and into the moment. I think I need it to keep my mood up, and it also gives me energy. The chemicals the body releases also makes you feel better I think. I can't wait for my local pool to re-open..soon. I'm not an expert on the INFJ part of it, but I guess it helps us be more in our bodies and not in our heads, or day dreaming. From my perspective it's a life saver. It also helps with my anxiety and depression, (along with S.A.D. lamps, and st. Johns wart herbal remedy)!
@Jet, I am going to try that picture thing.

Reactions: Jet
Guess you do like the pic @melissa* which is good, or I'm assuming you do because you chose to use it. I know @Jet likes it. I chose it just to be "smart" but I think it works Happy to help.

Physical activity helps me get out of my head and connect to my body which is something I do need to do. Sometimes I am thinking so much (maybe too much) and physical activity takes me out of that head space if that makes any sense. Yoga does the same but in a different way. I usually do some cardio and then weight. Health benefits are important too

Reactions: Siimplicity and Jet
@brightmoon I really felt that as an act of real kindness, as you knew how I felt about it. Thank you!

You are most welcome @melissa* that's truly how the gesture was intended. A small gift.

I'm super into being fit.
I do weights, run, and yoga every day and cardio every other day, and since I've moved, I've added hiking and trail running.
I'm not that fit right now, compared to what I've been in the past, but I am focused on getting back to that.
Mostly, I just want to stay healthy, strong and be able to take care of myself.
Edit: I feel like I should say I'm 45. So, my focus is on being and staying healthy and fit for my whole life.

Last edited: