Personality disorders? | INFJ Forum

Personality disorders?

...then does personality make sense, you mean?

...then does personality make sense, you mean?

That would be an interesting question to ask, and is a question that would be related. But no, I don't mean to ask that.
There seems to be many different definitions and perspectives of personality so I don't want to get into that.

From Wiki: According to ICD-10, the diagnosis of a personality disorder must satisfy the following general criteria, in addition to the specific criteria listed under the specific personality disorder under consideration:
  1. There is evidence that the individual's characteristic and enduring patterns of inner experience and behaviour as a whole deviate markedly from the culturally expected and accepted range (or "norm"). Such deviation must be manifest in two or more of the following areas:
    1. cognition (i.e., ways of perceiving and interpreting things, people, and events; forming attitudes and images of self and others);
    2. affectivity (range, intensity, and appropriateness of emotional arousal and response);
    3. control over impulses and gratification of needs;
    4. manner of relating to others and of handling interpersonal situations.
  2. The deviation must manifest itself pervasively as behaviour that is inflexible, maladaptive, or otherwise dysfunctional across a broad range of personal and social situations (i.e., not being limited to one specific "triggering" stimulus or situation).
  3. There is personal distress, or adverse impact on the social environment, or both, clearly attributable to the behaviour referred to in criterion 2.
  4. There must be evidence that the deviation is stable and of long duration, having its onset in late childhood or adolescence.
  5. The deviation cannot be explained as a manifestation or consequence of other adult mental disorders, although episodic or chronic conditions from sections F00-F59 or F70-F79 of this classification may coexist with, or be superimposed upon, the deviation.
  6. Organic brain disease, injury, or dysfunction must be excluded as the possible cause of the deviation. (If an organic causation is demonstrable, category F07.- should be used.)

"Disorder" is dependent on the context within one finds themself.

Is that close to what you're getting at?

This is the reason I got into MBTI.
Personality disorders and how it effects typology.
If people with similar disorders tend to type a certain way, etc..
No fruit ever came of my research.

I have a friend who's dating someone with some pretty deep issues in the antisocial/narcisism/depression area. She keeps waiting for her SO to "go back to normal." I've honestly come to believe that some disorders are more about behavior compulsions than static types. I think people come with natural inclinations toward certain needs i.e. some people really enjoy social attention and some need it less. I think these basic needs become problematic (maladaptive, disruptive whatever) when they find negative outlets.

So my friend's SO likes to say REALLY abusive things to get attention. It's a basic need for attention that just has a problematic outlet. It works so she keeps choosing to use it. There's underlying history that leads her to use that outlet but I don't think the abusive part is a personality thing. The attention is, if that makes sense.