PDR: Public Displays of Respect

Radiantshadow

Urban shaman
May 8, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
Human
I've become more interested in the idea of respect since learning of imitation and mirroring. I have a friend who idolizes a teacher to the point that she has unconsciously began acting, dressing, and talking like the teacher. The friend uses her as a role model, a representation of how she ought to be, and consequently puts out strong waves of respect. So:

How do you show respect to others?
What is respect & what does it mean, if anything, to you?
What earns your respect? Disrespect?

If you have ever actively disrespected someone, how did you do it?
Did you target specific things and hunt them down in the person,
generally hate against, or something else entirely?

i respect authenticity. this can be very special and it hits me hard.
i listen for the things which are said and the things which are left unsaid. sometimes i can respect a person a lot for this.
i don't really show my respect overtly, because i'm pretty quiet. but in my mind i think i notice you, i like you. sometimes i muster the courage to say something small, and when i do it's because i really mean it.

i don't like it when people try to intimidate others.

How do you show respect to others?

I'm always looking for someone I could learn from. I know everyone has something to offer, but I mean someone who can surprise me. I love it when someone show's me something new. Someone knew something about these West African symbols. I'd never seen or heard of those in particular. I was impressed that she had that relatively obscure knowledge. I think I asked her a few questions. I thought about it anyway and did a little reading about them. I respect her for that and I showed respect by showing interest.

What is respect & what does it mean, if anything, to you?

Every human deserves the respect of human rights. For an individual it has to be earned.

What earns your respect? Disrespect?

Respect? Showing knowledge, patience, compassion, insight, integrity, consistency, etc,

Disrespect? Boorishness.

If you have ever actively disrespected someone, how did you do it?
Did you target specific things and hunt them down in the person,
generally hate against, or something else entirely?

I think about it way more than I do it. I don't remember the last time I intentionally showed disrespect to someone. Oh, it would have been here. When I posted something mean about someone's post. I was angry about the disrespect I had been shown and I lashed back. But, if I were to try, I would pick at whatever I noticed about the person that they would be insecure about and blast it. But I wouldn't.

If I like something or someone, I'll think about it/them a lot and tell other people about them.

I guess I revere people that have really wise things to say and who don't talk often, or people who are old, or certain things like old trees or forests or sacred areas, so I respect them by watching my behaviour around them and being quiet and listening, and try my best to understand them.

How do you show respect to others? What is respect & what does it mean, if anything, to you? Regard for the feelings, wishes, rights and traditions of others (a dictionary definition but it says it for me).

What earns your respect? In addition to honesty and accountability, regard for the feelings, wishes, rights and traditions of others. Disrespect? No regard for the feelings, wishes, rights and traditions of others. Head games and intentionally hurting someone/living thing.

If you have ever actively disrespected someone, how did you do it? Did you target specific things and hunt them down in the person, generally hate against, or something else entirely? I have unknowingly disrespected people but when they let me know and/or I realized what I was doing I take responsibility for it, correct it, and change my behavior.