Passion and Profit | INFJ Forum

Passion and Profit

t5juyt

Banned
Sep 23, 2016
Henrico, VA
MBTI
INFJ
What passion(s) do you have that you would like to be able to make a living doing (if you aren't already)? Does it align with your personality? In which ways is it perhaps not quite in sync with your type, or challenge you to strengthen your tertiary and/or inferior function(s)?

For me it's definitely songwriting, recording and producing - the whole process. I often wake up from a sound sleep with a bit of a melody in my head. Some nights, it's 6 or 7. I hum or sing what I hear into my iPhone so I don't lose it (although I have neglected to record them numerous times). I have several hundred such snippets in my library. I haven't gotten around to fleshing out any of them because I also have a few dozen songs written out that I'm attempting to produce and several more partially written tunes.

My challenges: I don't actually play any instruments, I have no formal training, and I tend to get pitchy - although my ear is improving all the time.

I feel like this venture engages my functional stack and especially challenges me to step it up with Ti and Se.

I just found a local karaoke venue that is willing to add my releases to their database. That will bring another challenge: to extravert myself to perform and promote my material. I've sang in front of people before, but my own stuff, commercial produced, released? It's a bit scary.

I enjoy writing, and vocal performance. I think this connects with the INFP personality. But I feel constantly trapped in that loop where your job and life is constantly having to follow directions that do not support or fulfill the needs of your personality. But that's life for most. Instead, these things become hobbies on the side, I let myself indulge in occasionally.

I enjoy writing, and vocal performance. I think this connects with the INFP personality. But I feel constantly trapped in that loop where your job and life is constantly having to follow directions that do not support or fulfill the needs of your personality. But that's life for most. Instead, these things become hobbies on the side, I let myself indulge in occasionally.
Hi. I would love it if you'd share some specificity. What do you enjoy writing (journaling, fiction or non-fiction, poetry, blogs, meditations, etc)? What sort of vocal performance? Singing, probably, but what, and in what environment(for instance, instance I prefer singing at home in the process of recording as opposed to performing in front of people)? Speaking? Voice acting? In a sense, what you've presented so far is a bud. I'm asking for the bloom: what would you be doing for a living if you were living out your passion, that thing that you'd enjoy doing so much that morning couldn't come soon enough? Maybe that's more than you feel comfortable sharing here, and if so, that's okay.

Reactions: Gaze
I think of it as my next career (not retirement) I will write and travel and take thousands of photos. I will dabble in painting and music, write lyrics for instance. I will continue with my spanish lessons, learn french and other languages too. Maybe incorporate other languages in my writing.

I think of it as my next career (not retirement) I will write and travel and take thousands of photos. I will dabble in painting and music, write lyrics for instance. I will continue with my spanish lessons, learn french and other languages too. Maybe incorporate other languages in my writing.
Excellent! I wish you complete and satisfying success! Will you write about your travels, or whatever happens to inspire itself upon you at any particular moment?

What passion(s) do you have that you would like to be able to make a living doing (if you aren't already)? Does it align with your personality? In which ways is it perhaps not quite in sync with your type, or challenge you to strengthen your tertiary and/or inferior function(s)?

For me it's definitely songwriting, recording and producing - the whole process. I often wake up from a sound sleep with a bit of a melody in my head. Some nights, it's 6 or 7. I hum or sing what I hear into my iPhone so I don't lose it (although I have neglected to record them numerous times). I have several hundred such snippets in my library. I haven't gotten around to fleshing out any of them because I also have a few dozen songs written out that I'm attempting to produce and several more partially written tunes.

My challenges: I don't actually play any instruments, I have no formal training, and I tend to get pitchy - although my ear is improving all the time.

I feel like this venture engages my functional stack and especially challenges me to step it up with Ti and Se.

I just found a local karaoke venue that is willing to add my releases to their database. That will bring another challenge: to extravert myself to perform and promote my material. I've sang in front of people before, but my own stuff, commercial produced, released? It's a bit scary.

This is my passion too! I'm actually trying out for The Voice and America's Got Talent next year. Music is my absolute life. :)
I also would love to make movies (specifically fantasy and sci-fi). I really enjoy directing, producing, screenwriting, video editing, scoring-- the whole nine yards.

Reactions: CosmicINFJ and Gaze
This is my passion too! I'm actually trying out for The Voice and America's Got Talent next year. Music is my absolute life. :)
I also would love to make movies (specifically fantasy and sci-fi). I really enjoy directing, producing, screenwriting, video editing, scoring-- the whole nine yards.
I wish you no less than absolute success!

Excellent! I wish you complete and satisfying success! Will you write about your travels, or whatever happens to inspire itself upon you at any particular moment?
Quirky novellas perhaps, about people and places and relationships. What I have discovered about myself is that I would need to treat writing like a job where I would write about 6 or 7 hours per day, 4 to 5 days per week. Which means that I will need to wait until I'm retired from my current career, probably six or seven years from now.
I journal now and dabble a little, but that's about all I have time for. Thanks for asking.

Hi. I would love it if you'd share some specificity. What do you enjoy writing (journaling, fiction or non-fiction, poetry, blogs, meditations, etc)? What sort of vocal performance? Singing, probably, but what, and in what environment(for instance, instance I prefer singing at home in the process of recording as opposed to performing in front of people)? Speaking? Voice acting? In a sense, what you've presented so far is a bud. I'm asking for the bloom: what would you be doing for a living if you were living out your passion, that thing that you'd enjoy doing so much that morning couldn't come soon enough? Maybe that's more than you feel comfortable sharing here, and if so, that's okay.

Vocal performance would be recitations, voice acting - speaking for audio books or performances, etc. I'm not even sure I'd be successful doing it. However, I don't associate passion with profit. If a passion is going to end up a chore when money is involved, I'd just rather have it as a passion to enjoy on my own without any expectations of profit. Some industries are just too competitive.

So, I just don't have a passion right now, that "thing I have to do, and can't live without." As I've gotten older, things change, and I don't feel as strongly about things as I once did. That's my story atm :)

Vocal performance would be recitations, voice acting - speaking for audio books or performances, etc. I'm not even sure I'd be successful doing it. However, I don't associate passion with profit. If a passion is going to end up a chore when money is involved, I'd just rather have it as a passion to enjoy on my own without any expectations of profit. Some industries are just too competitive.

So, I just don't have a passion right now, that "thing I have to do, and can't live without." As I've gotten older, things change, and I don't feel as strongly about things as I once did. That's my story atm :)
Thank you for clarifying and further sharing. There's so much going through my mind in response to this...

I will say this: I strongly belief that if one has a passion for something, anything, one has the potential to succeed at it. Thanks again for participating!

https://soundcloud.com/skip-bowie/up-to-you-full-mix-mp3/s-1Pjmm

@SkipINFJ - If you are willing, I will PM you a sample, and I give you permission to be completely honest about how it sounds.

Reactions: Asa