Panel Interview | INFJ Forum

Panel Interview

Siimplicity

Catch sight
Jul 21, 2015
Swamplandia
MBTI
INFJ
I have never been in a panel interview, but that is going to change as of next Monday at 10:00. I landed an interview for the leadership program at work. If I get in, I will receive leadership training, rotations, supplemental on the job training, huge opportunity for advancement and even a mentor! so...there is a lot at stake and I really want to make this happen. Applicants are graded half on the written application, half on the verbal interview.. I answered each written question with an essay answer..but the talking part has always terrified me...

I was wondering if any of you could share strategy and / or tips. Both on how to successfully execute an excellent performance, express myself verbally and also how to remain calm.
Needless to say, I am already obsessing. My hands are sweating. I will be impeccably dressed in a suit with shiny shoes and my hair beaten into submission in a bun. I have a stack of documents to review over the weekend and will write down talking points to memorize. I will practice in front of people and a mirror. I dislike speaking in public and I don't know if I will know the panel members. I will also talk myself into the fact that this panel is made up of co-workers, that I know most of them and have excellent rapport with them and this will just be a 45-minute conversation between friends.

gah! i'm scared but I am going to do this. :eek:

Reactions: seira0807 and hush
I have done a couple of panel interviews, though not with success hah! So I don't know if I have super great advice but at least I have some experience, and maybe some pointers.

The first one I ever did, I was super nervous and I'm sure that's what caused my downfall. I ended up not fully answering some of the questions which were multiple parts (tricky when under stress). You can combat this by being more commanding, the pacing is on you, go at whatever pace YOU want to go. Own it, but don't dominate it and respect their time constraints as well.

Also in all of my panel interviews, I've always been very young compared to my competition which was ultimately a hindrance I think. If your panel is a group with a significant age gap, maybe try to acknowledge it in some way and try to relate to them on a personal level as a friend, regardless. But not too friendly, of course.

Really, the idea of a panel is scarier than actually going through with it. It was more draining for me as an introvert, and they ran much longer (about an hour and a half) compared to most interviews which are maybe 30-45min. By the end of them I always feel a bit beat up, but then I'm also telling myself hey it wasn't too terrible. I've been basically the #2 of most of the panels, going away on good terms and everyone generally liking me but ultimately being beaten out by a person who was older, more experienced, more relatable to the panel.

Haven't done one in many years. Might have better luck now haha!

Reactions: Siimplicity
Thank you for your insight -- so valuable. the pacing was an aspect i had not considered yet and it's great advice -- i tend to blurt and talk too fast when i am nervous so that's a huge help =)
as to the age, group, i am in the middle, but the program is for anyone at any stage of their career. Candidates will be evaluated based on their level, so I am grateful for that. still there are going to be people with far more experience so I am at a disadvantage also being less relate-able perhaps too.

yes you are so right... i can tell already that the anticipation is going to be much worse than the actual 45 minutes of introvert hell -- haha
but i can be fairly sociable at times-when i am comfortable, and i will try to do that with the material i know well and just dole it out in a measured manner.

you rock, [MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION] ! thanks again for your wisdom =)

** are introverts good leaders - yes i think they really can be successful if they choose to lead.
my boss is a true introvert actually, and i do admire him very much. his policy consists of The 3 Ds: Decide, Delegate, and Disappear!

Reactions: Wyote