I like soft things...so soft!
Jan 8, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4..maybe?
The Pistorius trail is like a movie.... if you're not aware of it:

From Wiki:

Oscar Leonard Carl Pistorius (born 22 November 1986) is a South African sprint runner. Although both of Pistorius' legs were amputated below the knee when he was 11 months old, he competes in events for single below-knee amputees and for able-bodied athletes. At the 2011 World Championships in Athletics, Pistorius became the first amputee to win an able-bodied world track medal. At the 2012 Summer Olympics, Pistorius became the first double leg amputee to participate in the Olympics when he entered the men's 400 metres and 4 × 400 metres relay races. At the 2012 Summer Paralympics, Pistorius won gold medals in the men's 400 metre race and in the 4 × 100 metres relay, setting world records in both events. He also took a silver in the 200 metres race, having set a world record in the semifinal.

In the early morning of Thursday, 14 February 2013, Pistorius' girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot and killed by Pistorius at his Pretoria home. Pistorius was taken into police custody and was formally charged with Steenkamp's murder in a Pretoria court on 15 February.

During the hearing, both prosecution and defence said that Pistorius had fired four shots through a locked bathroom door, hitting Steenkamp three times inside the bathroom. Prosecutor Gerrie Nel claimed that Pistorius had put on his prosthetic legs, walked across his bedroom to the bathroom, and intentionally shot Steenkamp through the door. Nel argued that the time required for this process was sufficient to establish the alleged murder as premeditated. Pistorius said that he had thought Steenkamp was in the bed, and that the person in the bathroom was an intruder. He also said he had not put on his prosthetics before shooting into the bathroom.

Chief investigating officer Hilton Botha said at the bail hearing that a witness had heard gunshots coming from Pistorius' home and then a female screaming followed by more gunshots; he initially said the witness was 600 metres away, but later said the distance was 300 metres. Botha also said the trajectory of the gunshots indicated that they had been fired downward and directly toward the toilet, seemingly conflicting with Pistorius' statement that he was not wearing his prosthetics at the time. He acknowledged that procedural mistakes had been made during the crime scene investigation and that police had found no evidence inconsistent with the version of events presented by Pistorius, adding later that equally nothing contradicted the police version either. On 22 February, Botha was removed from the case following revelations that he was facing attempted murder charges stemming from a 2009 incident. Botha was replaced by Vineshkumar Moonoo, described as "the most senior detective" in the South African Police Service.

On 19 August, Pistorius was formally indicted on two charges of murder and the illegal possession of ammunition. The indictment noted that even if Pistorius was mistaken in the identity of the person he shot, the intention was to kill. Dates for a trial to be held at the Gauteng Division of the High Court were set from 3 to 20 March 2014 During the murder trial, Pistorius will also face two additional charges of firing a gun in a public space. The trial has been assigned to a female presiding judge, Judge Thokozile Masipa,[168] who has appointed two assessors to assist her.

In late June 2013, Pistorius returned to training, reportedly looking much thinner and wearing a beard. His agent said that it was a very emotional experience for Pistorius and that returning had been a "bittersweet" moment for him.

The trial commenced on 3 March 2014 in the High Court in Pretoria. Pistorius pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him, including Steenkamp's murder and several gun-related charges.

I would be interested in knowing what you guys think of the case. It sounds like a lot of mistakes were made, but also that Pistorius has made a lot of inconsistencies with his story.

I also find this article an interesting perspective to the case: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/oscar-pistorius-trial-what-if-pistorius-was-black-1438705

Oscar Pistorius Trial: What if Pistorius were Black?

michell-burger-neighbour-oscar-pistorius.jpg

Former Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius is on trial accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, though he claims he mistook her for an intruder and shot her by accident.

Pistorius's defensive claim relies heavily on the stereotype of the respectable middle class white man's fear of a black intruder who will steal, rape and kill. The learned response is to bear arms with extreme prejudice - and this was the cause of his girlfriend's death.

Imagine for a moment if Pistorius were black, however. Would he still be eligible for the benefit of doubt In a country where Apartheid is still echoing in many Afrikaners' lives and racial equality is still something of a utopian dream state?

According to journalist Margie Orford: "The figure of the threatening black stranger has driven many South Africans into fortress-like housing estates, surrounded by electric fences, armed guards and the relentless surveillance of security cameras.

"This figure is the reason almost every middle-class home has a panic button on both sides of the double bed in the master bedroom, a red button that will summons armed guards to the house within minutes."

Filmmaker and writer Gillian Schutte described South Africa as a "world in which to be black and male makes you vulnerable to random shootings in suburban settings, where it seems, any black male is a potential threat."

Is Pistorius, then, leveraging on a widespread fear of swart gevaar (Afrikaans for black threat) to make his crime more excusable?

In recent years, many fear that revenge attacks against white South Africans could be carried out. A black man who intrudes in a white man's mansion becomes, therefore, the perfect scape goat.

racism-south-africa.jpg

In South Africa, even after 20 years the end of racial segregation, white people live in rich farms while hundreds of black families are still in hovels, and 59% of South Africans believe that integration is impossible.

In a place still governed by racist stereotypes and institutionalised inequality; where corrupt police can carry out mass-murder, as in the case of Marikana, or stage public tortures, as in the case of Mido Marcia who died after being dragged by a police car, what sort of justice can be expected.

What are the chances of a white multi-millionaire Olympic runner — once considered a hero - to be jailed over the "accidental" shooting of his girlfriend?

It makes me uncomfortable that they're using this stance. But at the same time, I am really uneducated about the environment there...to me, I can't see a defense like this holding up in a court here in Canada- it would almost work against them...but maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think? Do you think this will turn it into a racial case, rather than a potential domestic violence case?

[MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION]

I would really like to believe that he did not intentionally kill her, but there is something about his story that doesn't add up. I find it hard to believe that he didn't see that his girlfriend was not in the bed with him. And if he thought there was an intruder, wouldn't he check to make sure she was okay first before going into the bathroom area? Even to wake her and say, "Stay here. I think there is a black intruder in our bathroom that wants to steal all our things, rape you (and maybe me) and then kill us. I'll be right back after I shoot at him four times through the bathroom door. (Boing, boing, boing.)". I mean, really.

And why would the intruder be in the bathroom? Must of had the nervous shits, I'm sure. Robbery can do that to you. To go around shooting through doors without checking where the love of your life is beforehand makes no sense.

No one knows what really went down that night, but it doesn't look good for him. And I hope they don't make it into a racial case. I'm sick of this card always being used by everyone.

[MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION]

I would really like to believe that he did not intentionally kill her, but there is something about his story that doesn't add up. I find it hard to believe that he didn't see that his girlfriend was not in the bed with him. And if he thought there was an intruder, wouldn't he check to make sure she was okay first before going into the bathroom area? Even to wake her and say, "Stay here. I think there is a black intruder in our bathroom that wants to steal all our things, rape you (and maybe me) and then kill us. I'll be right back after I shoot at him four times through the bathroom door. (Boing, boing, boing.)". I mean, really.

And why would the intruder be in the bathroom? Must of had the nervous shits, I'm sure. Robbery can do that to you. To go around shooting through doors without checking where the love of your life is beforehand makes no sense.

No one knows what really went down that night, but it doesn't look good for him. And I hope they don't make it into a racial case. I'm sick of this card always being used by everyone.

I agree! I don't like to judge him before all the evidence - and it does seem like there was a botch up and potentially dirty cop - but I think it all points to him...unfortunately, they're going to use race and incompetencies of the police for their case....which....could be really bad.

I do agree that it makes no sense that he wouldn't check on his girlfriend before shooting, and why continue to shoot after you hear a female scream? And you're right- why would a robber be in the bathroom!?!!!

I'm interested to follow the case....I think a lot of crazy things are going to happen around sensationalizing it. The radio today called it "The New OJ Case" ...hopefully the verdict turns out better!