Notre Dame | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Notre Dame

I just received news that the structure of has been saved, according to the fire brigade. It seems like they have brought the fire under control. :relieved:

That’s great news! Absolutely devastating with it’s current state, but it makes me happy knowing it’s saved and can be restored.

That’s great news! Absolutely devastating with it’s current state, but it makes me happy knowing it’s saved and can be restored.
I hope this also means that the fire will be out soon. I heard before this that one of the main towers collapsed as well :fearful:

But if Germans can rebuild churches post WW2 destruction, then not even a fire can stop the French from restoring Notre Dame to her former glory!

When she heard about it, my mother was quite affected as well. She is not religious or anything, but she felt it too.

I tried to describe it to her, that it is the collective unconscious we all feel in such times. Some are more aware of it than others, but during such events, there is a wave of emotion that touches us all - or would do so supposing a certain healthy state of mind. We cannot help but be affected by the collective suffering reaching us and this is nothing to do with religion or spirituality. It just is.

Any other conscious thought is secondary, a reaction of the mind trying to cope with and rationalise the wave of grief.

When she heard about it, my mother was quite affected as well. She is not religious or anything, but she felt it too.

I tried to describe it to her, that it is the collective unconscious we all feel in such times. Some are more aware of it than others, but during such events, there is a wave of emotion that touches us all - or would do so supposing a certain healthy state of mind. We cannot help but be affected by the collective suffering reaching us and this is nothing to do with religion or spirituality. It just is.

Any other conscious thought is secondary, a reaction of the mind trying to cope with and rationalise the wave of grief.

Anything that old is a crying shame when destroyed.

During the Detwiler fire, classic cars, early 1900s barns and outhouses, numerous vehicles were destroyed. Hell, when I found out most ATV trails got burnt near Yosemite I went crazy

Not just one ATV trail, miles and miles worth. Old mining shacks and horse trails right by it

My buddies cars...gone

Historic barn that stood for a century...gone. that hit me hard

You hit it spot on. It's just one of those things you feel rip your soul.

Reactions: Ginny
I deleted my first post out of respect and to not start conflict here.

@Ginny thanks for the like :)

So yes, incredible shame indeed.

I did see a post saying it was not suspected to be deliberate.

That is a relief. An event this magnitude is damn near on par with 9/11, minus the death toll. I'm talking about the impact of landmarks.

I was worried this would start a war. It sounds like it's ok though.

France strong. I'm confident that even though it'll never be the same, it will be rebuilt to spec.

Great things are never bought; they're built. Doesn't matter if it's a hot rod or a home, all in between. This historical landmark is no exception

Reactions: Ginny
Nearly 200 years ago, Victor Hugo wrote the Hunchback of Notre-Dame because the cathedral was in the process of collapsing and falling apart and the work so revitalized the world's love for this church that it led to it being renovated. And it will have to be renovated again. And again. And no doubt this tragedy will have us throwing more money and effort towards this cause. That's the nature of architecture: it needs to be consistently restored and carefully preserved. Prior to the fire, it was in the process of being restored because it was already in a terribly fragile state, so all the important statues and paintings were already removed. Part of the roof is from the 13th century, yes, but the rest is from the 19th century.

Yes, this was a terrible accident, and even though we don't know the extent of the damage just yet, I am confident of one thing: it will be rebuilt. And more rigorous measures will no doubt be taken for restoration projects going forward (and maybe get them started sooner than later).

Completely agree :blush:

It will be back, like the phoenix.

Reactions: flower
So beautiful and sad...

Reactions: flower and neko
At least the burning of Notre Dame provided an excellent distraction from the yellow jacket protests and given a divided country a reason to unite.

Apparently, someone is pledging 300 million euros towards repairs already.

France strong. I'm confident that even though it'll never be the same, it will be rebuilt to spec.

That it won’t be the same doesn’t mean it won’t be as majestic and beautiful. There’s a lot of beauty contained in surviving a tragedy. Many artistic masterpieces can attest to that and have only become more majestic over time, with their wounds.

You would think that something so significant would've been taken taken care of a bit better.

Reactions: Ginny and flower