Nonverbal communication, types, experiences | INFJ Forum

Nonverbal communication, types, experiences

Jana

Searching...
Apr 18, 2009
MBTI
infj
All you can think on this subject...
Nonverbal communication in wider meaning: touches, physical space, gestures etc.
What functions affect our behaviuor in that?
Is it about E or I, N or S, F or T...?
Everything here, I find interesting that subject because it can say lot about our relationships to others.

Nonverbal communication in wider meaning: touches, physical space, gestures etc.

What functions affect our behaviuor in that?

Is it about E or I, N or S, F or T...?

I think it's hard to fit a particular nonverbal to a function but i tend to associate Se or with someone who uses their arms a lot or is very facially expressive. I'd say someone who is introverted with high Fi tends to be less expressive and quieter, tends to use less physical contact. Someone with Fe probably uses gestures and more facial expressions, and probably uses their hands to speak quite a bit. But not sure how true this is as i'm not sure if there is any science to back these generalizations, so it's a matter of perception i think.

Last edited:
I know INFPs who use a ridiculous amount of body language and ESTPs who don't do as much.

I don't think it is necessarily a type thing, but people who have more cognitive processing localized to their right brain probably use arm gestures more.

So, what would be shpwing affection for one person, for another would be just friendly gesture...obvious.

Also it is a matter of culture and up-bringing. Certain cultures are more expressive in their body languages, others not. I am sure there might be some relation to MBTI on this but it is probably minimal. I have seen introverts who like to use their body to explain ideas and to draw things out in the air, and I have seen extroverts do the same thing. I use many of the same movements my parents use just because growing up, that's what I was exposed too. They might be more subtle at times but for what reason that is, I have no idea.

Also it is a matter of culture and up-bringing. Certain cultures are more expressive in their body languages, others not. I am sure there might be some relation to MBTI on this but it is probably minimal. I have seen introverts who like to use their body to explain ideas and to draw things out in the air, and I have seen extroverts do the same thing. I use many of the same movements my parents use just because growing up, that's what I was exposed too. They might be more subtle at times but for what reason that is, I have no idea.

I am glade you mentioned parents, I also realised that I copied some of their body language.

I am glade you mentioned parents, I also realised that I copied some of their body language.

The funny thing is I just watched the science of attraction so I was already thinking about this stuff. Body movements in attraction though are another creature in themselves and something I understand little of. I have never really been able to understand flirting and I can never recognize when it is happening, and I really don't see the visual signs either. I am rather hopeless. Lol. The only thing I do notice is when women stare at me but then I just think its because my zipper is open or I have something on my face. :p Never does the thought cross my mind that the girl might be interested in me. I had one friend actually point this out one time when we where at a restaurant. I noticed a pretty cute girl in the restaurant and noticed that she was staring at me. Naturally I started to wipe my face and asked my friend if I had anything on my face. Later when leaving I explained to him this and he laughed. He had noticed the girl too and thought I realized that she was checking me out. The thought never once crossed my mind. From then on, he has always pointed out such things. I still do not understand how he just knows and still don't know how he can just walk up to a random person too and strike up a conversation. I have tried and most of the times it = epic fail.

Reactions: Gaze
Yes.I also think usually thought I have something on face:) But with years I am aware that they sometimes just like me:))
So gender would also be matter of difference. Women are more relaxed with touching and hugging, while men are more reserved. Usually. or Is it more often that, if we talk abou non flirting situation, person of same gender would be more relaxed in touching?

Again I would say it depends. Each person has different comfort levels. I personally am a hugger but I dislike when people who I do not know are to cavalier with physical contact. I can stand being hugged by pretty much anybody but if they keep touching me like on my shoulder, back, knee, etc... it will cause me to be extremely uncomfortable because it is crossing my acceptance level.

It is also gender based. Watch how children communicate and this will be clear, or go to a work place. Men, normally do not stand face to face because that is aggressive. We tend to stand sideways of each other when communicating. Woman on the other hand don't follow this.

It is also gender based. Watch how children communicate and this will be clear, or go to a work place. Men, normally do not stand face to face because that is aggressive. We tend to stand sideways of each other when communicating. Woman on the other hand don't follow this.

You are right! I did not realised that, I just realised thing with touches, but you are right. Women are more face to face in relaxed communication. men usually stare to eachother if they are confronted...
Hm, and what about same gender attraction. Would it show difference? I mean is it about gender or about who/what attracts us. Just popped up question...
Nonverbal is just so interesting.