Ni-Ti dynamic in INFJ's | INFJ Forum

Ni-Ti dynamic in INFJ's

Animekitty

Regular Poster
Aug 28, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
What does it mean to use these functions in close unison?
Two INTP's told me I use this pare but i'm fuzzy on it because it is not part of the 16 types.
So I'm confused by what I'm supposed to understand when it comes to type.

Do you understand cognitive functions? There is introverted/extraverted intuition, sensing, feeling, and thinking. As INFJs we use Ni, then Fe, Ti and Se. When we use Ni it's like understanding the essential qualities of something and understand the path to take out of future possibilities. We infer knowledge we wouldn't normally understand through the senses. Ti, on the other hand, is a deciding function. Basically it's used to figure out how things connect, how to pin point the exact definition of what one is trying to express, and uses problem solving and analysis. Also, to figure out things logically internally. For more information on the functions you can google them.

Their methods of interpreting information are diametrically opposed. Ni is abstract, metaphoric, free-form, and fuzzy with regards to how it makes connections, whereas Ti is more rigid and linear. Ni works from a top-down approach, presenting the information most relevant to the (meta-)perspective it is trying to convey; on the other hand, Ti builds from the bottom-up, presenting its perspective after all of the information. Tension can arise when Ti demands more strict, coherent thought processes than Ni can provide, creating a loop whereby the former shoots down all ideas conjured by the latter as logically invalid, often resulting in analysis paralysis because the vessel doesn't know what to do/how to respond to its environment. There are a few members on the board who can depict a healthy Ni-Ti loop; perhaps they will chime in eventually.

Their methods of interpreting information are diametrically opposed. Ni is abstract, metaphoric, free-form, and fuzzy with regards to how it makes connections, whereas Ti is more rigid and linear. Ni works from a top-down approach, presenting the information most relevant to the (meta-)perspective it is trying to convey; on the other hand, Ti builds from the bottom-up, presenting its perspective after all of the information. Tension can arise when Ti demands more strict, coherent thought processes than Ni can provide, creating a loop whereby the former shoots down all ideas conjured by the latter as logically invalid, often resulting in analysis paralysis because the vessel doesn't know what to do/how to respond to its environment. There are a few members on the board who can depict a healthy Ni-Ti loop; perhaps they will chime in eventually.

Wouldn't the healthy version be accepting that you have enough information to get started even if all the details are not yet worked out, knowing that some specifics may need to be revisited?

Wouldn't the healthy version be accepting that you have enough information to get started even if all the details are not yet worked out, knowing that some specifics may need to be revisited?

Yup. I was unsure how to word it, but your definition suffices. Ironically, my own Ti has been overworked today and I am over-filtering for precision. Regardless, you are right: flexibility is key to facing and fulfilling objectives.