need some advice about jobs | INFJ Forum

need some advice about jobs

edie

Nov 2, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
Hi friends!

I'm spinning my wheels when pondering my career and looking for any thoughts that might be helpful. FYI: I'm a twentysomething that recently applied for doctoral programs in Scandanavian studies, but I have recently began to doubt this choice because 1- I fear I won't be able to get a teaching position because the market is flooded with liberal arts degrees and 2- I question whether I really want to work in the competitive world of academia.

So. In the instance that I do decide not to forge ahead with my PhD aspirations for the time being, what else is there for an INFJ like me (or... like you?)? What's a career path that involves living abroad, writing, and teaching? And... is a job that I could, realistically, get?

Or am I already on the right path!?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Best,
Edie

I don't know whether or not you're on the right path- that will be up to you. That being said, if you want to live abroad while writing and teaching my suggestion would be to teach English as a second language. I know plenty of people who have gone over to other countries to do this and from what I can tell it has been a very rewarding experience. Most have been in Asian countries such as Japan or Thailand. I don't know if that would interest you.

I would say also that if writing is a passion of yours you could get into journalism. It won't get you into teaching which seems to be what you desire, but you could also think of it as spreading information to others which they can learn from.... Teaching in a non-traditional, non-classroom oriented form, anyway.

I don't even know what I want to do for my own career let alone guide others in theirs but I wish you the best of luck in finding a path that will bring you fulfillment.

thank you for your thoughts Sandra_B! I appreciate it very much. :)

Reactions: 894tt3h9
Only go ahead with the plans if they're something you really have a passion for. If you're like me or any other INFJ's I've known, pushing yourself to do well in a field you don't care that much about will only create more problems for you further down the line. Also knowing what you're getting into is helpful. A close family member (also INFJ) had one idea about the field she was studying for (Psychology), but the job she really wanted to be in that field for wasn't as interesting as she thought it would be.

If I had continued straight through college, down the path I chose then, I would hate my life right now! Going through the twists and turns I've taken over the years is the only reason I now know what I would be going back to school for a PhD in. (See the other thread about that Education Bubble for my reasons for not going back to school now though!)

Hey Eddie. Unless you are independently wealthy, or so brilliant that universities are trying to outbid each other in scholarship awards, getting a PhD probably means taking on more debt than you are going to be able to pay off.

While you are still young and unmarried is the time to get the travel bug out of your system -- there are many countries that look for English teachers from abroad. Go teach English in China for a couple years. :D

Interesting, I can see how both are appealing choices for you. I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but I highly recommend taking a year off to learn about your interests/what you truly want to do in life. Maybe during that time you can dabble in those interests you spoke of such as teaching and writing, and if you ever change your mind, you could always go back.

If the phD is something you really want to go into though, it will have to be a very strong passion, so much so that you are excited about creating new research to the field. Be prepared to deal with a lot of pomposity, long hours, little pay, is what I hear often. I really can't give much insight into this however since I've never been in academia, what I am relaying is only second-hand information.

I wish you good luck with your decision. :)

thank you everyone for your thoughts!! I have until April to make a decision, but all of your thoughts are very much appreciated. :)