Will

Wintertime
Sep 30, 2017
Atlanta, GA
MBTI
INXX
Enneagram
4w5
Hello, I recently finished up with my company as a bookkeeper this spring and took the summer off while working part-time as a server. There was a lot of stress and monotonous tasks in accounting, but the pay was ok.

As of now I'm not quite sure if I want to get back into accounting/finance or switch to another career path. I'm contemplating whether I should go back to school either for film or to pursue an MBA and eventually take the CPA exam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I recently finished up with my company as a bookkeeper this spring and took the summer off while working part-time as a server. There was a lot of stress and monotonous tasks in accounting, but the pay was ok.

As of now I'm not quite sure if I want to get back into accounting/finance or switch to another career path. I'm contemplating whether I should go back to school either for film or to pursue an MBA and eventually take the CPA exam.

I think it says a lot that you are considering a switch - I think if you stayed in accounting, therefore, this idea would only come up again, except then you will have wasted another few years doing something which wouldn't be your final career.

What do you want to do?

Hi Willenstarke,

Hmmm.... This is choosing between a path where you know you will make a good living, and a risk.

As an artist, I always tell people who are considering a career in the arts that you must be willing to be poor, struggle, and suffer for your art, or you aren't meant for the life. Poor housing, no vacations, no healthcare, second jobs to support your work, and maybe no kids because you cannot afford to raise them. It doesn't mean this will be your life, but it is a solid possibility. If you know all of this and want to be a film maker anyway, go for it!

That said, I strongly believe there are avenues to take that make careers in the arts much more successful. If you are considering film, find those avenues before you make a move. Following your heart takes brains.

Obviously, finance is much more sensible, but you do not love it. Is there anything in-between to consider?

I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in an area where films are often made, you may want to look into working as an office worker for IATSE. (Or, similar if you are not in the US.) You have the accounting skills and could likely qualify for many office jobs. Though the "little people" hardly ever rub elbows with the talent and directors, it would put you in the film environment and you will meet people in the industry.

If I had it to do over again. . hmm. . I would have gone into either music or ministry. . instead, I stayed in mental health. it gave me a nice pension, but a lot of scars and regrets. It is a tough call. Follow your heart, for it knows the way. I have an artist cousin, she struggles financially, but is one of the happiest people I know. .

Hi Willenstarke,

Hmmm.... This is choosing between a path where you know you will make a good living, and a risk.

As an artist, I always tell people who are considering a career in the arts that you must be willing to be poor, struggle, and suffer for your art, or you aren't meant for the life. Poor housing, no vacations, no healthcare, second jobs to support your work, and maybe no kids because you cannot afford to raise them. It doesn't mean this will be your life, but it is a solid possibility. If you know all of this and want to be a film maker anyway, go for it!

That said, I strongly believe there are avenues to take that make careers in the arts much more successful. If you are considering film, find those avenues before you make a move. Following your heart takes brains.

Obviously, finance is much more sensible, but you do not love it. Is there anything in-between to consider?

I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in an area where films are often made, you may want to look into working as an office worker for IATSE. (Or, similar if you are not in the US.) You have the accounting skills and could likely qualify for many office jobs. Though the "little people" hardly ever rub elbows with the talent and directors, it would put you in the film environment and you will meet people in the industry.

This right here!

Definitely take a lot of considerations. My friends graduated with a B.A. in finance or accounting, or an MBA and they got pretty good stable jobs once they graduated.

However, some did art (film, photography, painting, video graphic design, etc) and they are still struggling to find a a good-paying job. Which is really unfortunate because each and one of them are incredibly talented and have a lot to offer. Not to say that you won’t find a good-paying stable job with an arts degree, but it’s very few and few, and competitive.

Since you live in the U.S, finding employment with an arts degree is tough unfortunately. And if you are going to be on some student loans, then you also have to really consider a career choice that will help you pay off your student debt down the line too once you graduate.

I think it says a lot that you are considering a switch - I think if you stayed in accounting, therefore, this idea would only come up again, except then you will have wasted another few years doing something which wouldn't be your final career.

That's what I'm theorizing and actually a bit worried about. As I fear I might question my judgement later on in life. Though with accounting it does seem much more stable in terms of finding a job.

Hi Willenstarke,

Hi Asa! That is a truly great insight. For the life of me I can't think of anything in-between. However, accounting does have a much more stable path. I'm actually over in Atlanta, Georgia and there is a strong presence of filming here especially in the downtown area.

Hi Asa! That is a truly great insight. For the life of me I can't think of anything in-between. However, accounting does have a much more stable path. I'm actually over in Atlanta, Georgia and there is a strong presence of filming here especially in the downtown area.

Cool. Yes, there is! My SO is in IATSE. A lot of people he works with come up from, or go down to, Atlanta.
I'm not sure how you would go about getting an office job with them. (My SO just said he doesn't think the PAs are in the union. They get paid less, but it is a step in.)

To get into the regular unions, you need two skills and three sponsors, plus the money for the fee.

You can be an accountant and make films. Is it possible to get another accounting job and take a film class after work and see how that goes before you make a giant leap?
I assume you've been making your own films on some level.

Last edited:

Some of the ways I navigate choices like this is to ask:

- How will I feed my soul? If you choose accounting, it does not sound like your work will feed your soul. (It will pay the bills, which is important, too!) Can you find time for film making or other nourishing activities outside of work? Some artists choose to avoid soul-draining jobs, so they can commit themselves to their art. Others work the job... so they can come home and create, without worrying about the bills.

- What will I regret? Will you regret not going to film school? If so, then you need to go! It doesn't necessarily invalidate accounting as a career field. But you don't want to be in the twilight of your life, always wondering how things would have been different if you had followed your passion.

This is just what has worked for me. Each of us must find our own path, and we can only look to others for roadmarks that have worked for some.

Some good points here - @tricosene is right, the soul needs nourishment, too. Remember that it will bleed into those around you, if you're fulfilled or unfulfilled, and colour their experience of life too.

But I wanted to ask, what's stopping you going back into accounting at some later date? Will it 'always be there' to some extent?

Maybe thinking about it this way will allow you to put a positive spin on both options:

Your art is your dream, your passion, but accounting is your stability if you ever need it.

I don't think they have to 'compete' in this sense, but you have to be clear about what you want them for, and what you want to put most of your energy and passion into.

Actually...

I have a friend, and her husband was in a similar position to you.

He had/has a well-paid mundane job which he's good at, but his passion is videography (which he's very good at I think). He started out as an amateur, very realistic about it being 'just a hobby', but he's gradually built up exposure, and now he's been offered two separate jobs in it.

The first for Icelandic tourism, and the second (off the back of that), a whole tour of Argentina and Antarctica. Offered literally today.

It can happen, and it's worth pursuing. My dream was to become an academic historian, but funding for the higher degrees was always an obstacle. However, I kept trying and I finally have a PhD scholarship. The road may be long, but you can't deny your calling forever - you owe it to yourself to at least try.

Anyway, here's my friend. I think he's ace: