My INFJ Personality | INFJ Forum

My INFJ Personality

Artsy

Dec 1, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
What does your personality as an INFJ keep you from enjoying? What does it help you appreciate? Does one tendency overwhelm the other?

What does your personality as an INFJ keep you from enjoying? What does it help you appreciate? Does one tendency overwhelm the other?
Being an INFJ keeps me from ever operating on one level of thought...many are always connected at the same time. This probably limits extreme spontenaity, something I might actually enjoy...except that I enjoy the connections even more.

Reactions: Siamese cat
this is a really good topic, it's a pity we haven't seen more posted up from others.

I agree with random, sometimes the lack of spontaneity can keep me disconnected within this type. I think also, our quietness and the levels of verbal communication that people misinterpret for judging/shyness/snobish-like-attitude also arises as a problem. I think our ability which is both a gift and a curse in itself is our ability to manifest/mirror whatever the person we're talking to is thinking - so we can often put on a mask so to speak. I read this from a great blogger, i've forgotten his name but he wrote it a little while ago so i can't take the credit, it might help to explain what we are like though in this circumstance (and what i'm finding so hard to say):

The Method Actor

“Everybody knows you never go full retard”

This one right here, my friends, might just be the reason you INFJs have been documented as the rarest of types. Oh the power of the persona, when you project and image, people will create your identity based on that image, regardless of what is actually going on in your head. This marks an extremely uncanny ability that you INFJ folk have. The INFJ can invent an character within their Ni-Fe. They can write an entire story of their life, their family, their experience, their fears, their motivations, their quirks and mannerisms all within their Ni. Then when the time comes, then can channel that character into their Fe and Se to perfectly embody that role, in ways that can be so nuanced that you might not even know you are looking at the same person. Even if acting isn’t your thing, every INFJ still has this in them, and it often comes out in other ways. An INFJ could enter a completely foreign country, and within weeks, or even days, completely master their culture, and maybe even accent.

Fictional Examples: Song (M.Butterfly), Kirk Lazarus (Tropic Thunder)
Real-life Examples: Sasha Baron Cohen, and anyone who can properly play the Master of Masks prestige class in Dungeons and Dragons.

Being spontaneous. My problem with living the college ideal lifestyle and "living life to it's fullest in the moment, not thinking about the past or the future" is that I can't just not think about the past and the future :p

In other words, it's hard for me to willing choose to be spontaneous, but easy for me to want to be included in spontaneous activities when I'm open to them (i.e. not lost in thought, homework, a game etc). I thoroughly enjoy the ideals behind spontaneous living and experiencing life as-is, but I simply can't do it effectively unless I'm tagging along with someone else who can. And not to say I jump on every party or outing invite I get - I tend to shoot down as many as I dream up on going. If I feel like I can't get relatively positive experience out of X activity (due to type of people also going, what my mood is, etc), I would rather just be to myself or with someone else for the evening :)

I feel like INFJ's as a whole love to experience and live life in the moment, but find it hard to do or start doing themselves. We work better as support roles or followers behind the scenes rather than leaders. Atleast for me and my boyfriend (who is also INFJ). Every now and then the tables turn though, for me and him can also be unpredictable, for every mood, thought and feeling is a potentually valid one for that situation (even if it means playing the leader if I feel comfortable with it) ;)

What it helps to appreciate: Other people!

I'm a master of mirroring other people's personalities when I am with them. Usually other people's personalities rub off on people as a whole, especially if they are inspiring to the person, but for me it tends to happen almost instantly. It's a downside in that my own individuality isn't very clear to myself or the other person while this goes on but it's an upside in that it makes it so I can better understand them.

I also am really, REALLY goofy when I am in my comfort zone around others. When I get extroverted, I am just silly. One of my favorite things to do is just say completely nonsensical similies twoard situations or people. I don't know why :p

I'm also the kind of person that everyone for some reason or another tends to know at school or work, for whatever reason. I don't know why, but it's always been like this despite me being rather introverted and to myself as far as actual friends go, but people seem to know me. Maybe it's because I am to myself usually and rather calm/collective but at other times I'm in the spotlight acting funny? I suppose that would be kinda wierd from and outside perspective. Probably because i give off the vibe that I'm super shy, when in reality I'm just introverted and it might throw people through a loop.