Mistyping happening ALOT | INFJ Forum

Mistyping happening ALOT

Has anyone else on here noticed that there is a LOT of people that mistype with the MBTI due to basically not knowing themselves? I find it annoying although I know I should practice more understanding…
Still others find themselves disregarding MBTI in general as 'just another frivolous pseudoscience', likening it to astrology.
Where there is a tool, there will be a myriad different ways for people to utilize it - correctly, incorrectly, so on and so forth.
With MBTI (coupled with enneagram; my personal recommendation is that the two should be studied together as I'd discussed with a few here),
one should peer into the functions in order determine their true typing, not some arbitrary test.

I believe I read somewhere also that INFJs oftentimes are quite likely to question whether they happen to be mistyped, which is interesting.

Still others find themselves disregarding MBTI in general as 'just another frivolous pseudoscience', likening it to astrology.
Where there is a tool, there will be a myriad different ways for people to utilize it - correctly, incorrectly, so on and so forth.
With MBTI (coupled with enneagram; my personal recommendation is that the two should be studied together as I'd discussed with a few here),
one should peer into the functions in order determine their true typing, not some arbitrary test.

I believe I read somewhere also that INFJs oftentimes are quite likely to question whether they happen to be mistyped, which is interesting.

yes exactly, I feel that those that liken it to astrology are the ones who have simply been mistyped and/or they lack insight into themselves.

yes exactly, I feel that those that liken it to astrology are the ones who have simply been mistyped and/or they lack insight into themselves.
Another thing to bear in mind is that we all come from different walks of life and have varying amounts of skepticism in regard to new ideas.
A lot goes into a personality, a person, an identity, much more than some description of cognitive functions can provide.
Some people just have different priorities. Does it make them less valid? I should think not.

Another thing to bear in mind is that we all come from different walks of life and have varying amounts of skepticism in regard to new ideas.
A lot goes into a personality, a person, an identity, much more than some description of cognitive functions can provide.
Some people just have different priorities. Does it make them less valid? I should think not.

not less valid, just a different point of view. Less relatable though probably

I wouldn't stress it much less gate keep given that the demographics are pretty vast leading to differences that won't be apples to apples then one has to consider neurodiverity as not everyone is typical vs the rest of the population only further adding to such differences.

The thing that most people get wrong or don't fully understand about mbti is that it is not statistically valid in predicting a person's behavior.
Which seems entirely reasonable to me. It doesn't mean the test or idea of functions are invalid in themselves, but often people throw them out as though they might as well be.

The more you understand about yourself and how you fit in your environment, the better you are going to be at using mbti as a tool in a more proper way.
To me, anything that engages people in a way that opens the door to self understanding/learning is a useful tool.

It's important to not place your identity as a human on your type, that is another mistake made sometimes in the discovery process.

People mistype themselves at many points walking this path, for many reasons.

The thing that most people get wrong or don't fully understand about mbti is that it is not statistically valid in predicting a person's behavior.

That's until the new paradigm of Functionalist Typology currently being devised by Mr. Contini.

ezgif-6-11a42928c946.gif

Has anyone else on here noticed that there is a LOT of people that mistype with the MBTI due to basically not knowing themselves? I find it annoying although I know I should practice more understanding…

It's also very often due to not understanding the meanings of the core concepts of MBTI.

That's until the new paradigm of Functionalist Typology currently being devised by Mr. Contini.

ezgif-6-11a42928c946.gif

This gif is almost as fabulous as your book will be

Yes, mbti is about cognition, not behaviour.

Now obviously cognition gives rise to behaviour, but different lines of thinking can cause the same behaviour.

Has anyone else on here noticed that there is a LOT of people that mistype with the MBTI due to basically not knowing themselves?
There's this.

It's also very often due to not understanding the meanings of the core concepts of MBTI.
And this.

And then there's factors that the mbti doesn't capture that when trying to superimpose upon it anyway will negatively influence the accuracy of the results.

I don’t stress about it per say, but am often annoyed when people disregard the accuracy of MBTI because they got the wrong result and then go forth dispensing advice to people that match with their incorrect result acting like an expert on their (incorrect) type. Please forgive my brain injury, I have a limited language abilities… a lot of time, I don’t know about other people, but I like to vent to someone who can ACTUALLY relate so when an impostor whether on purpose or not tries to be that person I’m venting to dispenses advice, their words can come off as brash or dismissive of my experience. Hurtful I guess you could say. I’m hardly sensitive to the extreme, however I’m very perceptive of when I can just tell someone doesn’t get it but is trying to come off as though they do get it… does that make sense… sheesh I feel stupid, lol

I know I’ve probably irked off quite a few, not my intention as this was directed at no one specifically. It’s just a talking point to see if anyone else can relate to the occasional annoyance when running into this. I see it a lot elsewhere. And yes, occasionally my intuition that someone is mistyped might be wrong. Hope I haven’t offended anyone.

Reactions: John K and ESC2367
I know I’ve probably irked off quite a few, not my intention as this was directed at no one specifically. It’s just a talking point to see if anyone else can relate to the occasional annoyance when running into this. I see it a lot elsewhere. And yes, occasionally my intuition that someone is mistyped might be wrong. Hope I haven’t offended anyone.
So, what exactly irked you off?

So, what exactly irked you off?

Nothing irked me off. This is just a topic of discussion.

To add to my earlier post trying to explain myself, I also do realize that it’s hard to discern whether someone is an imposter INFJ through just their written responses. I know that to TRULY know someone’s type takes a lengthy amount of time to get to know them.

Nothing irked me off. This is just a topic of discussion.

To add to my earlier post trying to explain myself, I also do realize that it’s hard to discern whether someone is an imposter INFJ through just their written responses. I know that to TRULY know someone’s type takes a lengthy amount of time to get to know them.

Ze reality check: everyone here is an imposter INFJ through their own responses. The whole forum functions as a self confirmation bias. (hi hi)

Reactions: John K and Anomaly
Yea I get that the whole forum, if everyone was truly an INFJ, functions as self confirmation bias, however when talking with other INFJ’s, there are those of us who have struggled and gotten through and those of us who are still struggling therefore one would hope to hear advice from a similar person who has gotten through and beaten a similar issue. Perhaps that’s just my opinion, but getting advice from people not much like myself rarely helps

Last edited:
Yea I get that the whole forum, is everyone was truly an INFJ, functions as self confirmation bias, however when talking with other INFJ’s, there are those of us who have struggled and gotten through and those of us who are still struggling therefore one would hope to hear advice from a similar person who has gotten through and beaten a similar issue. Perhaps that’s just my opinion, but getting advice from people not much like myself rarely helps

I'm not sure that's how this place operates. Welcome to the forum, though! :)

In my original post I guess I should have put… Has anyone else on here noticed that there is a LOT of people that mistype with the MBTI (not specifically this site nor targeted at anyone specific)…

That was implied.
After you've written a certain number of posts you'll be able to edit your posts, too, so you can update posts for clarity. (The window to edit is only a few days.)