Millenials! Are They (we) That Bad? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Millenials! Are They (we) That Bad?

It seems like every generation thinks the one that came after it are slackers and entitled brats. How did the parents of the Boomers (the Greatest Generation) the ones who lived through a World War and a Depression view the Boomers protesting and breakdown of traditional morality? Not much different than the Millennials are viewed now

I am 33, I've always worked hard at everything I've done, it has been very exhausting, I currently am too fatigued to exert myself at all. My parents always had high expectations of me and told me that I was lazy and my life was too easy. They have been mercilessly critical of my flaws, failures, shortcomings, even sometimes my struggles. I think it's sad that they are so involved with the younger generation in this way. I know they care about me and everything but it's like get a life and stop criticising mine?

I'm nineteen, HAZZAH!!

When I look around at other people my age... I'm not all that impressed with the general populous. But like everyone's been saying; EVERY generation has their flaws. We're just in the spotlight right now because we're taking over the world >:3

I mean I like to think I'm pretty practical. I can cook, clean, write (in cursive, too- bet the next gen won't be able to do THAT), save people's LIVES (first aid ftw), and I can figure out why my grandma's ipad is acting up, and I don't even complain that my boobs are too small (except sometimes) because smaller boobs are more practical, I guess. I can pluck, AND gut chickens. I've birthed more kinds of animals than maybe most people have SEEN. And in general, I can o just about anything I put my mind to.

I don't know what that was. Some kind of horrible Millenial brag-session? Yeah, actually it was... I just kind of got carried away. O_O But I grew up off-grid, and I was homeschooled, so that might explain something.

*hides*

I'm nineteen, HAZZAH!!

When I look around at other people my age... I'm not all that impressed with the general populous. But like everyone's been saying; EVERY generation has their flaws. We're just in the spotlight right now because we're taking over the world >:3

I mean I like to think I'm pretty practical. I can cook, clean, write (in cursive, too- bet the next gen won't be able to do THAT), save people's LIVES (first aid ftw), and I can figure out why my grandma's ipad is acting up, and I don't even complain that my boobs are too small (except sometimes) because smaller boobs are more practical, I guess. I can pluck, AND gut chickens. I've birthed more kinds of animals than maybe most people have SEEN. And in general, I can o just about anything I put my mind to.

I don't know what that was. Some kind of horrible Millenial brag-session? Yeah, actually it was... I just kind of got carried away. O_O But I grew up off-grid, and I was homeschooled, so that might explain something.

*hides*

You are an anomaly for sure.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
I love to mention at work how the baby boomers (most of my coworker) are to blame for how millennials turned out. They seem to be the ones always bitching. Gen x doesn't seem to mind. I'm right on the cusp of gen x and millennials (depending on who is setting the numbers). I think I relate more with millennials because I joined the army right out of high school and had to finish my school with that age group. Almost all of my friends are considerably younger. Work ethic wise a lot of millennials I see coming through the door are okay making $8.00 per hour, that's a lot less entitled than I am.

I initially was struck with the humble-bragging in this thread but decided to leave it ha.

Last edited:
Being in debt and under/unemployed does not really jive with being entitled, does it?

I think that we (millennials) want a standard of living comparable to what our parent's generation (the baby boomers) has, but economic realities make that impossible. For wanting that, we are labelled entitled/lazy/narcissists. We are the first generation in the history of this country to see downward mobility. We are in a lot of debt, mainly student loans.

There are certainly some people who fit the stereotype, and I suppose I do to some degree; however, in general, I think the way we are depicted is unfair given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Eh, every older generation shits on the face on the younger generation. It's the way of life. I'm already shitting on the faces of generation z or whatever they're calling it.

In all serious there are a lot of noteworthy things about millennials as opposed to previous generations. For one, the millennial generation is the first to be best friends with their parents. I've taken some sociological classes that go over the patterns of generations and there is a reason for the political unrest in these last couple of decades. Gen x's and millennial's are friends and teaming up on the same political side against baby boomers. Both generations have been wronged by baby boomer's business practices, and if you'll notice, baby boomers are holding onto their positions of power for as long as they can not allow gen x'ers to move up. It's not just millennials who have been moving back in with their parents- so have gen x'ers because the economic climate created by the boomers were so bad it effected even their children. A lof of x'ers cannot afford to support their own children. X'ers are often called "the lost generation" because they grew up during a time where their parents were experimenting with swinging and drugs, and then suddenly cleaned up in the 80's and became focused on money and power. Hell, the nation didn't even start the missing and endangered foundation or putting kids' faces on milk carton's until the 80s! All these kids were allowed to run around and do whatever they wanted and parents were none the wiser, and typically just believed whatever an adult said over a child which allowed perpetual abuse of the child.

Everyone's whining about how millennials turned up, but there was a reason Gen X was such helicopter parents and attentive- they knew first hand what it was like to have parents who generally weren't paying attention and let bad things happen to them. They grew up and wanted something better for their kids. Also, note that the end of Gen X that started hitting 18 in the 80's were one of the first generations in America not drafting to war. Prior there was vietnam, world war 1 and world war 2 to keep the young generation busy and kill off all the young people. A good chunk of Gen X never was drafted to go to war and because of this tended to have a negative view on war--- their president at the time, Ronald Reagan, was able to just finish wars by bombing the shit out of countries and never putting a boot on the ground. In that way Gen X was spoiled.

Also, predatory loans came out right around the time these Gen X'ers were going to college, which has followed them around the rest of their life, even the spouse that didn't go to college because back in the 90's and 80's the spouse could sign as a co-signer and end up with the debt without even benefiting from the college education themselves. So there is just a lot going on with Gen X that got passed onto the millennials.

At the end of the day Gen X is going to die and not have to worry about Millennials, so I mean, quit your gripin'

I'm already shitting on the faces of generation z

Yea! They are the real problem! Young punks, get off my lawn.

The only problem is that Pokemon Go is not the stupidest thing we have ever lived through. The "post-truth politics" we are currently living through is by far the stupidest thing we ever lived through

I prefer the term Generation Y to Millennial. The latter sounds so bleh! Some fruit cakes decided Millennial was the 'proper term', but I'm sticking to Gen Y. I have a hundred half-baked reasons for this, other than a conceptual aesthetic and linguistic preference, but meh.

And yes, those pesky Gen Z's! Most don't even know what a cassete tape is!

Now I feel better about myself. Okay, gotta go, it's time to ask my parents to buy me a house.