Mental Illness | INFJ Forum

Mental Illness

Auto-Zen

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
?????
So we have different types that have different functions and different ways of doing things.

So do mental illnesses affect them in different ways? Are certain types immune to certain personality disorders in the same way they are prone to some?

This thought has just struck me but I'm not really sure of examples, what do you think?

No type is immune. MBTI is not black and white. Everybody has all of the cognitive functions, but uses them differently, in a different mix and to a different degree. Example, you could be 60 per cent introverted, which means the rest is extraverted and so on. Thus a bit of everything.

The ones who, if any, would be less likely to catch a mental illness based on type, would be those closed to balancing every cognitive function. Dunno why, but it would make sense to me.

I believe the fact that some types are prone to certain personality disorders may have something to do with the society we have, how individuals treat each other, which ideals the society has for the individual and what is to be expected. I am getting a bit off-topic, but you got me thinking :). These are all just my speculations of course :)

celebritytypes.com has a blurb at the end of each page which states which types are most susceptible to which personality disorders. Don't ask me how they figured that one out.

ptypes has an interesting table here. Again, it seems kinda speculative to me.

There's a sticky on the Psychology and MBTI subforum that might interest you - http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14436

But to echo what others have said, people are messy and blurry and complicated. MBTI is a theory developed to try to help us understand ourselves, not an instruction manual.

I think it possible we may each deal with someone's mental acuity or lack thereof differently.