Medical Error - Third Leading Cause of Death | INFJ Forum

Medical Error - Third Leading Cause of Death

A new study found medical errors to be the third leading cause of death. Here's an article from NPR about it

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ertificates-undercount-toll-of-medical-errors

My experience is in Canada but two people I cared about died as a result of medical errors. One was a 34 year mother who died after a simple hysterectomy and left 3 young children behind. The other one was my mother who unfortunately had to deal with a number of medical errors and ended up dying at the age of 60 due to septicimia because she was left waiting too long to get help. Totally heartbreaking when you know it was because of an error or just plain carelessness.

On another note, there seems to have been a pattern with both of the doctors not taking them seriously enough when they complained of symptoms. If they had taken them seriously right away the results may have been different. Many doctors take men more seriously and dismiss women as complainers. I have witnessed it myself with how my mother was treated as opposed to have my dad has been treated. It's sickening.

Many doctors take men more seriously and dismiss women as complainers.

This is absolutely true, and it really gets ugly when it comes to diagnosis and treatment of mental illness and other neuropsychiatric disorders.

Cheers,
Ian

I suspect that failure to prevent death, instead of causing death, is inflating this estimated number.

If however, medical mistakes are indeed the cause of death, I would want to know how many deaths are prevented by medical treatment, as a comparative consideration.

Eg. If 150,000 deaths are caused by medical intervention, but 10,000,000 deaths are prevented, then the odds seem reasonable. But anything over 5% would seem outrageous.

I suspect that failure to prevent death, instead of causing death, is inflating this estimated number.

If however, medical mistakes are indeed the cause of death, I would want to know how many deaths are prevented by medical treatment, as a comparative consideration.

Eg. If 150,000 deaths are caused by medical intervention, but 10,000,000 deaths are prevented, then the odds seem reasonable. But anything over 5% would seem outrageous.

It’s the US not the world in the study...so go figure...our system here sucks ass.
We pay the most in the world for all medical treatment, dental, meds, etc. yet are ranked like 43 in the world in terms of quality of care...in many ways the US system creates perfect conditions for such things to thrive.

It’s the US not the world in the study...so go figure...our system here sucks ass.
We pay the most in the world for all medical treatment, dental, meds, etc. yet are ranked like 43 in the world in terms of quality of care...in many ways the US system creates perfect conditions for such things to thrive.

Is that ranking figuring the medical care for the entire population, or the quality of the care being delivered? I can see the low ranking being about availability, and not about quality, because you probably lead the world in terms of diagnostic equipment and laboratories.

Is that ranking figuring the medical care for the entire population, or the quality of the care being delivered? I can see the low ranking being about availability, and not about quality, because you probably lead the world in terms of diagnostic equipment and laboratories.

I believe it takes both into consideration.
Data is taken from WHO reports.

The report itself is fairly short (32 pages), but included prior surveys and national health system scorecards as well as data from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

The report also included a list of major findings including these:

Quality: The indicators of quality were grouped into four categories: effective care, safe care, coordinated care, and patient-centered care. Compared with the other 10 countries, the U.S. fares best on provision and receipt of preventive and patient-centered care.

Access: Not surprisingly — given the absence of universal coverage — people in the U.S. go without needed health care because of cost more often than people do in the other countries.

Efficiency: On indicators of efficiency, the U.S. ranks last among the 11 countries, with the U.K. and Sweden ranking first and second, respectively. The U.S. has poor performance on measures of national health expenditures and administrative costs as well as on measures of administrative hassles, avoidable emergency room use, and duplicative medical testing.

Equity: The U.S. ranks a clear last on measures of equity. Americans with below-average incomes were much more likely than their counterparts in other countries to report not visiting a physician when sick; not getting a recommended test, treatment, or follow-up care; or not filling a prescription or skipping doses when needed because of costs. On each of these indicators, one-third or more lower-income adults in the U.S. said they went without needed care because of costs in the past year.

Healthy lives: The U.S. ranks last overall with poor scores on all three indicators of healthy lives — mortality amenable to medical care, infant mortality, and healthy life expectancy at age 60. Overall, France, Sweden, and Switzerland rank highest on healthy lives.

If you include world rankings beyond the top 11 developed nations...it’s actually 37th in the world not 43rd...my fault.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-healthcare-systems-in-the-world-2012-6

mm2010l.gif

More recent data.​