Managing Polarities | INFJ Forum

Managing Polarities

Learner

Regular Poster
Jan 25, 2021
MBTI
INFJ
The four key dimensions that ae used in the Myers Briggs Temperament Inventory to describe individuals preferences are presented as a dichotomy, or an either/or choice between two styles of being. We know them as Introversion or Extraversion, Sensing or Intuition, Thinking or Feeling, Judging or Perceiving. The 16 personality preferences are made up of elements of each.

Dr. Barry Johnson wrote a book titled Polarity Management: Identifying and Managing Unsolvable Problems that presents a different perspective on making a choice between either/or. He uses the perspective of both/and. His He sees each side of this interdependent pair as serving a common purpose, and that for our own development and understanding we need to acknowledge them as such. I have found his approach to be helpful and strengthen my understanding of being an INFJ and creating personal development strategies.

The approach is fairly straightforward: Ask yourself the following questions in this polarity, introversion-extraversion:

What are the advantages of being introverted?

What are the disadvantages of being introverted?

What are the advantages of being extraverted?

What are the disadvantages of being extraverted?

Often times the disadvantages of one side are the same as the advantages of the other side.

As INFJ’s we are clearly on the introverted side, but sometimes don’t acknowledge the downside of being introverted. The same is true for those are extraverted. They don’t acknowledge the downside of being extraverted.

Johnson makes the case that both introversion and extraversion are necessary for a balanced and healthy life. Of course, we have our preference, but there are times we need to consider the advantages of both sides and call upon them for our own personal development.

A key point is to develop signals when one might be going to the downside of being an introvert and employ strategies to use the positive energy that the upside of each dimension provides.

A good example is the current Covid pandemic. As introverts, many of us may have even enjoyed the down time we have had UP TO A POINT. If you’re like me, you can’t wait to talk face to face with friends, have dinner, and interact. We need extraversion to regain our balance. Over time we can move back to our preferred state of being.

I think managing polarities can be a nice way to live in the comfort of our preference, but also to acknowledge the other side that is also supportive of our common purpose—a happy life with personal growth opportunities.

Other polarities that come to mind for INFJ’s to consider are:

Self-other focus

Planning-action orientation

Traditional-innovative

Hard standards-soft processes

Leading-following

Speaking-listening

There are many others.

Whenever you find yourself if an either/or situation, maybe it’s a both/and.

Getting a whole picture of the advantages and disadvantages of each provides the opportunity of more thoughtful actions.

I'll bite.

Introvert advantages: Less distractable, more stable sense of identity, less affected by external feedback on what they're doing.
Introvert disadvantages: More close-minded, worse at navigating social situations (less experience), worse listeners.

Extravert advantages/disadvantages are the flip of these. Though there are introverts and extraverts who are on the opposite ends of these--e.g. ExTJs (who have the advantages/disadvantages of introverts on this read) and ISFJs (who have the advantages/disadvantages of extraverts).

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not looking at intro/extraversion here but Ne/Fe versus Se/Te. But INTPs are definitely introverts on this so...

Reactions: Reason