Majors requiring lots of intuition | INFJ Forum

Majors requiring lots of intuition

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
Which majors can you think of that are optimized for the following hierarchy of cognitive functions: intuition, thinking, feeling, sensing

I may have to disagree about Engineering. I am about to graduate with an engineering degree, so I know everything I've had to learn, and it is honestly a little too plug-and-chug for me. I have always been a physics person, so I really enjoyed the freshman/sophomore classes like statics and mechanics of materials (they were very intuitive for me), but in the upper level classes it became more about number crunching and maximizing profit.

In retrospect, I should have gone with my passion (physics). I am not sure about the other hard sciences, biology seems like rote memorization while chemistry I find.. well, a little boring.

Reactions: technics
I find them all to be limiting due to the structured atmosphere they are built upon.

Your looking for something abstract, which is a problem since education in a college system is by definition a system, the best idea would be to find a system you function the best in.

Personality type is just a means to organizing and acting on data - you are the manager giving it direction, not the other way 'round. Discover your interests, if you haven't found them already, and experiment with 'em. If you like the especially abstract, perhaps you should explore mathematics or the arts? If application, the various sciences could hold something for you; there are tons of useful patterns in there that can stimulate intuition once you have a firm knowledge base.

It's your life, play around with it.

Edit: Forgot the most important part -- good luck! I hope you find something that fits

Last edited:
Reactions: technics and hush
Which majors can you think of that are optimized for the following hierarchy of cognitive functions: intuition, thinking, feeling, sensing

Business. But only so you can network into a consulting role. Consulting is project-oriented, deadline driven, allows for creativity, and interpersonal interactions. Although, it requires being a subject matter expert. That means you'll have to put in some time up front doing detailed monotonous work to learn the craft. Best bet: find a very small consulting firm to get mentored into the role by a seasoned pro.

It depends whether you are referring to the introverted or extroverted version of each of those functions.

If introverted intuition is the first, I would recommend philosophy.

It depends whether you are referring to the introverted or extroverted version of each of those functions.

Perhaps I should clarify that I'm talking about both Ni and Ne. A field that allows for a good blend of both.

Discover your interests, if you haven't found them already, and experiment with 'em. If you like the especially abstract, perhaps you should explore mathematics or the arts?

I have quite a few degrees already from disciplines that are very distant from each other. And I've worked in all of them. And when you have made the experience that you can function easily in a Ni-Te/Ti, a Ne/Se-Fi and a Fi-Te environment - and you still want to grow - then you really start thinking what else is there.

As for steering: I've steered myself deliberately into all those disciplines, knowing that I have deficits in those areas, and with the goal of developing my facilities. My ex thinks I'm crazy for studying courses just to develop my cognitive functions. But I think it's a fulfilling experience.

It's like a roadtrip where you have already seen a few spots and then you ask yourself: What could be a promising destination?

Reactions: Gaze
Perhaps I should clarify that I'm talking about both Ni and Ne. A field that allows for a good blend of both.

I have quite a few degrees already from disciplines that are very distant from each other. And I've worked in all of them. And when you have made the experience that you can function easily in a Ni-Te/Ti, a Ne/Se-Fi and a Fi-Te environment - and you still want to grow - then you really start thinking what else is there.

As for steering: I've steered myself deliberately into all those disciplines, knowing that I have deficits in those areas, and with the goal of developing my facilities. My ex thinks I'm crazy for studying courses just to develop my cognitive functions. But I think it's a fulfilling experience.

It's like a roadtrip where you have already seen a few spots and then you ask yourself: What could be a promising destination?

If you want to be a total smarty-pants, study both theoretical and applied mathematics.

Art
Literature
Psychology
Health Care
Education

There are probably more but these are the ones I am familiar with.

I believe that your intuition can really be applied to anything. I don't believe that in necessarily excels at one thing over another.

Advertising.
But don't go into advertising, whatever you do.