Law School: The Final Frontier | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Law School: The Final Frontier

I have been practicing corporate law for about a year and a half. I should note that, from what I can tell, in addition to being an INFJ, I'm also an HSP. I have not yet given up on the law altogether, but I think that for the INFJ it is really quite difficult to find a fit in the law. I work in a mid-sized law firm (100+ lawyers) and I don't enjoy it at all. I work with wonderful people (i.e., not a Wall Street sweat shop) who are thoughtful and have taken an interest in my personal development. I am rather fortunate. But I still hate it. (On a side note, if ever my Fe was a problem it's here. I knew as soon as I started that I would feel really guilty if I ever wanted to leave because I would be "disappointing" the good people at the firm.)

The problems include 1) tight deadlines, 2) face-time, 3) minimal real solitary work time (open door policy), 4) working for the man, while the little guy suffers, 5) feeling stifled creatively, 6) not working for, or with, actual humans, 7) meetings, meetings, meetings. Quite frankly, I'm bored out of my mind and exhausted. My life feels completely out of control and my sleep, eating and exercise habits are all out of whack. And worst of all, I feel like a sellout and no amount of rationalization seems to be helping me stomach it all.

While in law school, I worked in a clinic helping small businesses and nonprofits and I absolutely loved it. I even took an internship and planned to pursue a fellowship doing this kind of work. But going that route means risking your finances and your peace of mind and, the first time around, I chickened out -- even though I knew that a large law firm was not for me.

If you want to pursue a career in public interest (which is hard for other reasons) I recommend doing whatever you can to minimize the cost of law school. But, there are plenty of other ways to make a difference in people's lives and do meaningful work that don't require the expense of a law degree. Right now I'm considering finding a way to use law to do one of those things, going back to public interest work or scrapping law entirely.

I also want to point out that practicing corporate law is not particularly "intellectual," which I think is something that leads INFJs astray. It appears to be intellectual at the outset. It is actually extremely rote. Although it is complex and I agree that one ought to have special training to perform the job, it is not like every week something comes in and I am able to really be creative and think up new and interesting things. A lot of the time, I'm reading the same old contracts and editing them to meet the parameters of a new deal. Something to consider.

TL;DR - INFJs (and HSPs) beware of big law firm private practice.

ETA - I think the law is an excellent career, generally, and that people can be quite happy doing it. The question is what do you value. Some people truly value being part of something large and big deals, making lots of money and just generally making a living. These are all worthwhile pursuits if you're the right kind of person. Biglaw for a "NT'" or an "ST" probably works rather well. But for an "NF" you are forced day after day to deny yourself and that does not a happy lawyer make.

Last edited:
Re:

If you want to pursue a career in public interest (which is hard for other reasons) I recommend doing whatever you can to minimize the cost of law school. But, there are plenty of other ways to make a difference in people's lives and do meaningful work that don't require the expense of a law degree.... TL;DR - INFJs (and HSPs) beware of big law firm private practice.

Your post was full of helpful information. I'm working at a small firm right now as a legal assistant. After this, I'm heading to law school. They do have loan forgiveness programs for people hoping to go into public interest or non-profit or other careers that aren't as lucrative out of law school. That's what I'm "banking" on. But I could see chickening out for financial reasons.

In terms of LSATS, how did other people study for them? I'm wondering if I should take a course or tackle them alone.

Your post was full of helpful information. I'm working at a small firm right now as a legal assistant. After this, I'm heading to law school. They do have loan forgiveness programs for people hoping to go into public interest or non-profit or other careers that aren't as lucrative out of law school. That's what I'm "banking" on. But I could see chickening out for financial reasons.

In terms of LSATS, how did other people study for them? I'm wondering if I should take a course or tackle them alone.

If you can take a course, you probably should considering how important the test is and that they average your scores together for each attempt. You'll want to be as prepared as possible.

I went to law school at a top 5 US school about 15 years ago with the goal of going into public interest work. I have pretty much regretted that decision ever since. I felt completely out of place at law school, and I have been bouncing around from job to job ever since. I have tried government work as both a litigator and a policy analyst, private practice in corporate law, legal aid, and a few other things. At times I have mildly tolerated my job, but mostly I have been miserable and wondering how to get out of it. Had I not borrowed over $120,000 to get the degree in the first place, I would have left law a long time ago.

Eventually, I got "lucky" and managed to find a full time job teaching in a paralegal program at a community college (to do this full time is very unusual - most instructors are part-time adjuncts). This involved a significant decrease in both pay and status for me, but the day-to-day experience of being on the job is much better than law practice. However, it is not very meaningful, and a bit of a scam to be honest, as we dramatically over-train and overcharge our students in order to keep our department a substantial size and convince our administrative overlords with the giant budget scissors that we actually do something useful and mildly prestigious.

Last year, I decided to try going to graduate school with the aim of becoming an actual law professor. However, though that process I have learned that academia, while probably better for an INFJ than law practice, is in a disastrous state in our society right now. Even business-friendly programs like law are under strict scrutiny and there are tons of overqualified applicants for every posting. As well, legal academia is in a very confused state, with no real agreed-upon methods or sense of direction and purpose. I am not likely to pursue it further.

I think law sometimes appeals to INFJs because we think that we might be able to use it to understand humanity better and help make the world a better place. However, given the way that our legal system and the profession is structured, law turns out to be a terrible place to try and do that. It is very uncreative, full of high conflict situations, and populated by people who by and large are just in it for themselves and want money, power and status. I do not think that it makes a good career path for most INFJs.

Reactions: dudemanbro
I went to law school at a top 5 US school about 15 years ago with the goal of going into public interest work. I have pretty much regretted that decision ever since. I felt completely out of place at law school, and I have been bouncing around from job to job ever since. I have tried government work as both a litigator and a policy analyst, private practice in corporate law, legal aid, and a few other things. At times I have mildly tolerated my job, but mostly I have been miserable and wondering how to get out of it. Had I not borrowed over $120,000 to get the degree in the first place, I would have left law a long time ago.

Eventually, I got "lucky" and managed to find a full time job teaching in a paralegal program at a community college (to do this full time is very unusual - most instructors are part-time adjuncts). This involved a significant decrease in both pay and status for me, but the day-to-day experience of being on the job is much better than law practice. However, it is not very meaningful, and a bit of a scam to be honest, as we dramatically over-train and overcharge our students in order to keep our department a substantial size and convince our administrative overlords with the giant budget scissors that we actually do something useful and mildly prestigious.

Last year, I decided to try going to graduate school with the aim of becoming an actual law professor. However, though that process I have learned that academia, while probably better for an INFJ than law practice, is in a disastrous state in our society right now. Even business-friendly programs like law are under strict scrutiny and there are tons of overqualified applicants for every posting. As well, legal academia is in a very confused state, with no real agreed-upon methods or sense of direction and purpose. I am not likely to pursue it further.

I think law sometimes appeals to INFJs because we think that we might be able to use it to understand humanity better and help make the world a better place. However, given the way that our legal system and the profession is structured, law turns out to be a terrible place to try and do that. It is very uncreative, full of high conflict situations, and populated by people who by and large are just in it for themselves and want money, power and status. I do not think that it makes a good career path for most INFJs.

Thank you so much for telling your experience! I've been thinking a lot about studying law and maybe become lawyer... This made me think.

Thank you so much for telling your experience! I've been thinking a lot about studying law and maybe become lawyer... This made me think.

You are very welcome. Please don't let my post deter you if law is really calling to you and you think you might have a passion for it. But please do plenty of research and talk to as many lawyers as you can before making a decision. Also, if you aren't able to get into a top-tier law school, preferably with financial assistance, then really, really, really think it through.

You are very welcome. Please don't let my post deter you if law is really calling to you and you think you might have a passion for it. But please do plenty of research and talk to as many lawyers as you can before making a decision. Also, if you aren't able to get into a top-tier law school, preferably with financial assistance, then really, really, really think it through.

Sure, I agree. I don't have to worry about the financial assistance though, because universities cost only about 100 euros in a year in my country and you can lend the books from the library if you're lucky (otherwise need to buy them). I don't know any lawyers though. :)

Sure, I agree. I don't have to worry about the financial assistance though, because universities cost only about 100 euros in a year in my country and you can lend the books from the library if you're lucky (otherwise need to buy them). I don't know any lawyers though. :)

Oh, are you in Europe? The situation over there is likely to be quite different, as the legal system works quite differently in civil law countries. I would definitely look into it further and see if you can find someone from your country who knows about how things work there.

Oh, are you in Europe? The situation over there is likely to be quite different, as the legal system works quite differently in civil law countries. I would definitely look into it further and see if you can find someone from your country who knows about how things work there.

Yeah, from Northern Europe. :) It's quite different here in many ways. I definitely should ask from someone. I only know it means LOT of reading. >.<