Latin America and Other Targets of U.S. Intervention | INFJ Forum

Latin America and Other Targets of U.S. Intervention

Krypton

Permanent Fixture
May 24, 2016
MBTI
xxxx
So, I thought about putting this in the Foreign Policy thread, but it's been awhile and the topic of conversation is slightly different. Thus, it's going in its own thread.

Suffice to say, the U.S. government has been involved with and probably screwed a lot of governments in Latin America. Organizing the coups of elected leaders, funding rebel groups, etc. It's also done similar things in places like Iran and Iraq, arguably Libya, and so on.

This thread is for people to bring those issues into a bit more light, so we can talk about specifics and potential solutions to the problems all this has brought on. I'll be reading up on this and posting my thoughts in time, but for now I'll let the people who've looked into it more recently speak up.

@Pin , the floor is yours.

Firstly, I think it's important to define what Latin America is and isn't.

"Latin America is generally understood to consist of the entire continent of South America in addition to Mexico, Central America, and the islands of the Caribbean whose inhabitants speak a Romance language."
-EB

A disturbing phenomenon I encountered is the lack of nuanced discussion regarding this region of the world. If you were to strictly watch contemporary U.S news, you'd likely believe that the entire region is an uninhabitable kleptocracy.

I'm of the belief that this presentation of the region is somewhat politically motivated, as there are numerous nations in the region with relatively high human development, namely Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay.

Noted, things weren't always prosperous for these nations. And frankly, things still aren't prosperous for many nations of the region. There are many developmental strides that are still to be made in areas of healthcare, education, irrigation, housing, etc.

Now, why hasn't the development spread across this region in an equitable fashion?

Time for a history lesson...