Knitting Instructor Interview is Tomorrow! | INFJ Forum

Knitting Instructor Interview is Tomorrow!

Seraffa

Community Member
Feb 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
homepage.jpg
.......................(like it? LOL!)

I never got to crochet the brasseires that I wanted .... BUT, I have an interview with JoAnn Fabrics tomorrow to become their new knitting instructor. I'm busting my ass finishing up a unique winter Cowl in a fantastic, lofy ice blue/soft white ragg color in Roving Yarn with rolling, wavy puffs all throughout the pattern. I call it "Blue Skies Cowl" I had to go back and re-learn knitting (not that I told them I could really knit well) just to be in on their hiring event. I'll be glad to post the picture, later, if you all want to see it.

I'm just worried - if they don't hire me, and hire someone else - shouldn't I just go ahead and teach my own classes in needlework somewhere around here? I mean - I'm REALLY going to do landscapes in needlework just like an artist does landscapes, but I want to elevate myself to an instructor whether JoAnn's backs me in my abilities or not. It would be so humiliating not to take on a position like that, esp. as I am sick of not getting any recognition at McDonald's. It's amazing what a person will put up with just to keep a crappy minimum wage job so that they can still eat every day.

I'm thinking - life has to go on the way I see fit to shape it, right?

Well, if I'm still poor how would I rent the right space to hold these classes?

Where can I recruit students from?

Should I make an artsy poster/flyer to have ready to advertise for later?

Should I weed out dumb students from smart ones and only teach smart ones?

I'm very isolated in what I am attempting to do; it would have been easier on me if I were back in Fine Arts classes somewhere and use fellow students as sounding-boards.

- Find a public space such as library or town center where maybe you can meet for free

- Put up a flyer at the local library or college. Advertise online.

- Yes, and place a picture of one of your best designs on the flyer

- Nope. As an instructor, you will have many types of students and your ability to relate to each person and meet them at their level is very important. Start with what they know and work your way from there. Practice breaking instructions and explanations into simple and easy to follow steps.

I'm very isolated in what I am attempting to do; it would have been easier on me if I were back in Fine Arts classes somewhere and use fellow students as sounding-boards.
- Yep, if you have the chance, take some courses; maybe the county has inexpensive classes which you can take, rather than at college where it would probably be more expensive.

Lol at the picture [MENTION=3722]Seraffa[/MENTION]. :D The garments are incomplete!! :p

Oh, and good luck in the interview tomorrow! :mhula:

- Nope. As an instructor, you will have many types of students and your ability to relate to each person and meet them at their level is very important. Start with what they know and work your way from there. Practice breaking instructions and explanations into simple and easy to follow steps.

Right. To weed out "dumb" students would be lazy on your part. People are going to have different skill-levels. Lazy students would be another story. Don't turn away anyone who is putting in a solid effort.

Reactions: Gaze
- Find a public space such as library or town center where maybe you can meet for free

- Put up a flyer at the local library or college. Advertise online.

- Yes, and place a picture of one of your best designs on the flyer

- Yep, if you have the chance, take some courses; maybe the county has inexpensive classes which you can take, rather than at college where it would probably be more expensive.

Ok.......:)

Lol at the picture @Seraffa. :D The garments are incomplete!! :p

Oh, and good luck in the interview tomorrow! :mhula:

grandma-is-making-a-scarf-coloring-page.jpg
...Ok, the work is progressing......along with my many
years of expertise! (and a set of new dentures!!).....

Reactions: Gaze
Right. To weed out "dumb" students would be lazy on your part. People are going to have different skill-levels. Lazy students would be another story. Don't turn away anyone who is putting in a solid effort.

OIC...didn't think about dumb vs. lazy. Thanks.